Michael Dean > Dentons > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
1 GEORGE SQUARE
- Go to...
European Competition and Regulatory.
Michael is a partner in our Glasgow office.
Michael obtained an Honours Degree from Glasgow University and studied EU law at the College of Europe, Bruges. Early in his career, he worked for four years in London with a major international law firm, before returning to establish a practice in a Scottish commercial law firm.
Michael has experience in competition law, including cartel proceedings, distribution, state aids and merger clearances. In addition, he has extensive knowledge in the fields of public procurement and export controls. He also has considerable expertise in regulatory law, particularly in the power, post and water sectors.
He is an Honorary Consul for the Federal Republic of Germany for Glasgow.
Trained O’Donnell Vaughan & Co; qualified 1986; assistant McKenna & Co, 1986-1988; assistant Lovell White Durrant 1988-1990; McGrigor Donald, 1991-1997; partner Maclay Murray & Spens LLP 1998 to date.
International Association of Defense Counsel; Procurement Law Association; Competition Law Association; Scottish Competition Forum; Honorary Consul of the Federal Republic of Germany, Glasgow; New York State Bar International Section.
University of Glasgow (1982 LLB (Hons); 1983 Diploma, Professional Legal Practice); College of Europe, Bruges (1984 Diploma in Advanced European Studies).
Running; tennis; hill walking.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Dentons is well regarded in the Scottish market for its broad competition expertise, with key areas of focus including merger control, compliance, competition litigation and dawn raid issues. The team is jointly led by London-based Adrian Magnus and Glasgow’s Michael Dean, who has considerable experience in the full range of EU and UK competition law proceedings. Key practitioner Catriona Munro has notable expertise in cartels and contentious competition law. Senior associate Melanie Martin is recommended for non-contentious competition issues, state aid and Brexit-related matters.
- EU and competition - Scotland > Corporate and commercial
- Hall of Fame - Scotland > Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment