K&L Gates > Taipei, Taiwan > Firm Profile
K&L Gates Offices
30/F, 95 DUN HUA S. ROAD, SEC. 2
K&L Gates > The Legal 500 Rankings
Taiwan > Corporate and M&A Tier 1K&L Gates enjoys a stellar reputation among its diverse roster of clients for cross-border M&A, restructurings, and other corporate and commercial transactions. Drawing on the firm’s strong presence in the Asia-Pacific region, the team is regularly engaged by both domestic and foreign companies seeking assistance on overseas IPOs and cross-border deals in regulated sectors. Practice head Jacqueline Fu is highly experienced in transnational restructurings and acquisitions for clients in tech and life sciences. James Chen frequently works with businesses and investors looking to enter the PRC market via joint ventures and expansion projects, while Billy Chen is a go-to advisor for fast-growth companies in the fintech and AI space. Owen Chio and Joseph Tseng are noted for their capabilities in the energy space, with Chio concentrating on oil and gas transactions while Tseng focuses on renewables and biotech companies.
‘High level of partner involvement, in-depth understanding of Taiwan’s renewables sector, and a responsive team that is uniquely able to provide both Taiwan local counsel and international perspective.’
‘Billy Chen is very commercial and responsive. Joseph Tseng is hands on and knowledgeable.’
Cloud Mile Inc
Kneron Holding Corporation
New Green Power
Soleq Taiwan Renewables Ltd.
Taiwan Liposome Company Limited
- Advising Kneron Holding Corporation in connection with a financing via issuance of series A-2 preferred stocks to a VC investor consortium.
- Advised IQE plc on its acquisition of IQE Taiwan via a share swap.
- Acted for Cloud Mile Inc in connection with its Series B fund-raising to leading venture capital investors.
Taiwan > Capital markets Tier 2K&L Gates regularly advises domestic and international investment banks, asset managers, and issuers on the full gamut of capital market matters. Drawing on the firm’s ample international resources and specific regional strengths, the team is well placed to handle a range of multi-jurisdictional instructions, including debt and equity offerings, bond issuances, and regulatory analyses. Many of the firm’s multinational clients turn to Jacqueline Fu for advice on cross-strait acquisitions, preferred stock transactions, and delistings. Joseph Tseng concentrates on equity financing transactions on behalf of fast-growth companies in the tech and biotech sector, while James Chen frequently assists clients with Regulation S offerings. Billy Chen is recommended for his capabilities in cross-border capital market deals.
Yuanta Securities (Hong Kong) Company Limited
KGI Asia Limited
- Represented Yuanta Securities (Hong Kong) Company Limited, in assisting Aerkomm Inc., regarding bond listing on Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Represented KGI Asia Limited, in a USD$120m global zero coupon convertible bonds (ECB) offering.
- Assisted Aslan Pharmaceutical with delisting from the Taipei Exchange.
Taiwan > Dispute resolution Tier 2A host of clients from the worlds of energy, IT, and financial services rely on K&L Gates for assistance in all manner of commercial disputes, regulatory investigations, and enforcement proceedings. Over the course of the past year, the team has advised on toxic tort litigations, construction disputes, white collar investigations, and government procurement matters. Shilin Huang represents local and international businesses in arbitrations administered under a diverse range of official bodies, including the ICC, the CIETAC, and the Chinese Arbitration Association. Lu-Shin Lee focuses on commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong professional ability and good sense of collaboration.’
Chinatrust Commercial Bank
Chinatrust Financial Holdings
China Petrochemical Development Corp.
- Representing CPDC in a follow-on litigation to challenge the judgment handed down by the Supreme Court in connection with the highly publicised 2018 toxic tort litigation.
- Successfully defended Chinatrust against accusations made against its management team that alleged the team violated various provisions of the Security Exchange Act when it attempted to take over Mega Financial Holding in 2005 and 2006.
- Represented Chinatrust in its defence against prosecution office accusations.
Taiwan: Employment & Labour Law
Published: March 2022
Authors: Jacqueline Fu Cecilia Lee
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Employment & Labour Law laws and regulations that may occur in Taiwan.
China: Renewable Energy
Published: June 2022
Authors: Cindy Ha Christopher Tung
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Renewable Energy laws and regulations that may occur in China.
Singapore: International Arbitration
Published: November 2021
Authors: Narayanan Sreenivasan SC Raja Bose Robert Houston
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to International Arbitration laws and regulations that may occur in Singapore.
Taiwan: Mergers & Acquisitions
Published: April 2022
Authors: Jacqueline Fu Joseph Tseng
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Mergers & Acquisitions laws and regulations that may occur in Taiwan.