Mr Alan Shanks > Addleshaw Goddard > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Addleshaw Goddard Offices
19 CANNING STREET
- Go to...
Mr Alan Shanks
Energy, shipping and infrastructure.
Alan is head of the Finance and Projects division in Scotland. He is a banking partner specialising in advising clients on financing in the energy sector, including oilfield services, renewable energy, shipping and related services. Alan acts for a number of major companies and financial institutions in the UK and internationally, with particular experience in MENA and Caspian transactions. Alan was a central figure in the establishment of the firm’s Aberdeen office. He previously led HBJ Gateley’s Dubai office.
Trained HBJ Gateley; qualified in Scotland and is also qualified in England and Wales 2000; solicitor HBJ Gateley 2000-02, associate 2002-05, partner 2005 to date, head of Dubai office 2009, head of energy 2010 to 2013; head of energy, shipping and infrastructure 2013 to 2016; head of banking in 2016. Alan played a central role in the merger between HBJ Gateley and Addleshaw Goddard, taking a seat on the Finance and Projects divisional board in June 2017 as well as heading this team in Scotland.
Law Society of Scotland.
Edinburgh Academy; University of Aberdeen and L’Université Pierre Mendes France, Grenoble, France (1998 LLB Hons with options in French Law).
Addleshaw Goddard, a firm with extensive national and international networks, is geared to support on acquisition, real estate, and project finance in addition to corporate refinancings. Alan Shanks is an expert within the energy sector, overseeing the team which includes Euan Cluness, a go-to for corporate and asset-based lending transactions, as well as Gaenor Cassell who caters to a broad client roster of corporates, international and domestic banks, non-bank lenders and private equity funds. At the more junior end, legal director John Waller specialises in the financing of listed property investment trusts and property developments.
‘Excellent across the board’, Addleshaw Goddard is a long-established player in the field of energy-related corporate transactions though has also significantly expanded its project development work over recent years. Alan Shanks is a transactional specialist in the primary and secondary markets of renewable energy assets, whereas Nick Taylor is a go-to for development project work including energy production facilities and onshore and offshore wind schemes; the pair co-lead the team alongside Sarah Baillie, a planning lawyer distinctly accredited by the Law Society of Scotland, as well as David McEwing who has transacted numerous acquisitions within the oilfield space.
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Banking and finance - Scotland > Finance
- Energy (excluding oil and gas) - Scotland > Projects, energy and natural resources
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Local government
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Social housing
- Employment > Employment