James Penn > Watson Farley & Williams LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Watson Farley & Williams LLP Offices
15 APPOLD STREET
- Go to...
CONSULTANT IN THE DISPUTE RESOLUTION GROUP
James specialises in commercial, banking and property disputes.
He has over 30 years’ experience in property enforcements in particular, including mortgage possession actions (such as successfully acting for the claimant in the leading case of Stockholm Finance Ltd v Garden Holdings Inc & Ors) and enforcement of judgments obtained against individuals by means of a charging order over real property assets held in the name of offshore companies (including successfully acting for the claimant in the leading case of United Overseas Bank Ltd v Iwuanyanwu).
He also successfully acted for the respondent in Day v Tiuta International Ltd & Anr, a significant Court of Appeal case concerning the operation of the doctrine of equitable subrogation.
James joined Watson Farley & Williams in 1991, became a Partner in 2003 and became a Consultant to the firm in 2016.
Qualified 1981; formerly a partner with another City firm; joined Watson, Farley & Williams 1991; partner 2003.
Property Litigation Association; Law Society of England & Wales.
College of Law, Guildford.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Real estate > Environment
- Finance > Transport finance and leasing
- Dispute resolution > Commodities disputes
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Industry focus > Hospitality and leisure
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: lower mid-market deals, £50m-£500m
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Transport > Shipping
- Finance > Trade finance
- Transport > Aviation
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Employment > Immigration
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Mining and minerals
- Real estate > Planning
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Transport > Rail
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Employment > Employers
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Real estate > Property finance