Norton Rose Fulbright > Dubai, United Arab Emirates > Firm Profile
Norton Rose Fulbright Offices
4TH FLOOR, GATE PRECINCT, BUILDING 3
DUBAI INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL CENTRE
PO BOX 103747, DUBAI
United Arab Emirates
Norton Rose Fulbright > The Legal 500 RankingsNorton Rose Fulbright. The practice is led by Orlando Vidal, who is a former US federal prosecutor. Deirdre Walker is another key individual and has substantial experience advising on Dubai Financial Services Authority regulatory investigations. Senior associate Hannah Bradshaw is also noted. Matthew Shanahan was a new arrival in early 2022.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team provides a highly professional and well coordinated service.’
‘Meticulous in their attention to detail, the members are legally astute, approachable and friendly.’
‘Paul Stothard, assisted by Hannah Bradshaw and Lolan Sagoe-Moses share many of the same characteristics. All three are super bright, rigorous, tactically dextrous, approachable and a pleasure to deal with. They are particularly skilled at dealing with difficult and demanding clients.’
‘Exceptional level of dedication by the team leaving no stone unturned to give the best possible advice on our case and to fight every inch. ‘
‘They were willing to challenge the regulator and point out where they were being unreasonable while also choosing our battles carefully, and anticipating rebuttals in order to ensure we could knock down any challenges.’
‘NRF also took a commercially friendly approach to billing.’
‘Hannah Bradshaw showed a high level of dedication and commitment to our case. She was available at all times and made us feel like she was personally committed to helping us reach the best outcome.’
‘Paul Stothard oversaw our case and ensured that our case was handled with the highest level of attention and care, whilst being extremely reasonable with billing and understanding of the financial challenges that such cases place on the business.‘
Standard Chartered Bank
Bank of America and Merrill Lynch
First Abu Dhabi Bank
Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
Commercial Bank of Dubai
- Advised the book-runners and mandated lead arrangers on a $1.75bn sustainability-linked credit facility to EmirateNBD Bank PJSC (ENBD), involving a syndicate of leading international banks.
- Advising the lenders to ACWA Power and GIC in respect of the development and financing (both conventional and Islamic) related aspects of the 900MW photovoltaic fifth phase of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park.
- Advised APICORP and National Bank of Fujairah in respect of all aspects of the structuring and financing by Total Solar of a portfolio comprising 30 rooftop solar projects in the UAE as part of the Dubai Shams Rooftop initiative.
Other key lawyers:
Deirdre Walker; Orlando Vidal; Shabnam Karim
Harlan Group for Civil Rights
- Advising The Unfinished Business of American Democracy Committee of the Harlan Group for Civil Rights on a pro bono basis in relation to helping approximately 3.5m US citizens in Puerto Rico with the right to vote for US presidents and members of congress.
Adjou Ait Ben Idir
‘Adjou Ait Ben Idir has phenomenal interpersonal skills and project leadership. She spots her client’s needs and translates it to the stakeholders and provides business-oriented legal support.’
‘Zaid Al-Rizzo has great negotiation skills to reach a concurrence between different stakeholders/parties.’
Ralph & Russo
First Gulf Bank
HSBC Bank Middle East
Macquarie Group Limited
EITC (Du telecom)
Saudi Arabian Airlines Corporation
Helios Investment Partners LLP
Asteco Property Management L.L.C
- Advised Cooper Pharma on its granted license with United PPE to develop and manufacture Covid-19 diagnostic tests using Sherlock’s CRISPR technology.
- Advised Elaine Jones on the acquisition of real estate services company Asteco Property Management to Aldar Estates.
- Assisted SNC Lavalin with the sale of its oil and gas business to Kentech Corporate Holdings Limited.
Nicholas Kramer; Paul Stothard
‘Nicholas Kramer is impressive in his thorough knowledge of construction law.’
Emirates National Investment
The Kuwait Authority for Partnership Projects
Tibah Airports Development Company Limited (Tibah)
ESL Gaming GmbH
- Advising twofour54 on the development and construction of two separate sound stage facilities at the Khalifa Industrial Zone (KIZAD) in Abu Dhabi.
- Advising IFC as lenders on the development of the 51.75MW Abour and 49.5MW Tafila wind power projects in Jordan, both of which are under construction.
Angela Croker; Nicholas Kramer
‘NRF team is well experienced with PF scheme projects where legal advisory has to deal with both client and lenders. In this regard, I am very satisfied with their performance. They always prepare in advance with visibility to what comes next from procurer and the lenders.’
‘The team provides practical and sensible solutions that address our issues . Always timely delivery of work and cost competitive .’
‘Great commercial and negotiation skills, following and protecting lenders’ requests’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
International Finance Corporation
Standard Chartered Bank
National Commercial Bank
Al Rajhi Bank
Abu Dhabi Investment Bank
First Abu Dhabi Bank
Korea Development Bank
Arab National Bank
Electricite de France
- Advised the lenders to a consortium comprising ACWA Power, Mubadala Investment Company PJSC and the Federal Electricity and Water Authority (FEWA) on the Umm Al Quwain 150 MG IWP project in the UAE.
- Advised the Japan Bank for International Cooperation, Mizuho Bank Ltd, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank Limited, BNP Paribas Fortis SA/NV and Standard Chartered Bank on the $957m financing of the Fujairah F3 Independent Power Producer project in the UAE.
- Advised the senior lenders and equity lenders on the development and financing (both conventional and Islamic) related aspects of the 900MW photovoltaic fifth phase of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park.
Adjou Ait Ben Idir; Shabnam Karim
‘The Middle East team is well diversified and bring local expertise as well as global experience as part of a practice which deals with insurance matters across the world. Since Shabnam joined to develop the contentious practice, the team is dealing with financial lines and contentious cyber matters across the region. The team also plugs into a global cyber incident response offering where clients have a one hour 24/7 cyber response service.’
‘Shabnam is well respected for her areas of expertise, specifically financial lines and cyber. Shabnam is committed to the Middle East Region and is known for being instructed on high profile and high value Middle East D&O liability insurance cases. She has a good profile amongst the local and global reinsurance community. She is known for being proactive and results driven and a local expert.’
American International Group (AIG)
Mediclinic Middle East
Mubadala Investment Company
Nakheel PJSCHSBC Middle East
Hadia Abdul Latif Jameel Ltd
Emirates NBD Bank PJSC
- Advising Mubadala Investment Company on a number of plot sales on Al Maryah Island, having advised on the sale of four plots on Al Maryah Island to Webridge Properties LLC for development as mixed-use developments.
- Advised Nakheel on multiple aspects of the Palm Tower, Palm Jumeirah which forms part of the Nakheel Mall development, including advising on the legal strata titling of the Palm Tower and the Nakheel Mall.
- Advised HSBC on its corporate offices in Abu Dhabi and on its build-to-suit development of HSBC’s new headquarters in Emaar Square.
Norton Rose Fulbright > Firm Profile
The firm: Norton Rose Fulbright is a global law firm. We provide the world’s preeminent corporations and financial institutions with a full business law service. We have more than 4000 lawyers and other legal staff based in more than 50 cities across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, the Middle East and Africa.
Areas of practice: Recognized for our industry focus, we are strong across all the key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare. Through our global risk advisory group, we leverage our industry experience with our knowledge of legal, regulatory, compliance and governance issues to provide our clients with practical solutions to the legal and regulatory risks facing their businesses.
Wherever we are, we operate in accordance with our global business principles of quality, unity and integrity. We aim to provide the highest possible standard of legal service in each of our offices and to maintain that level of quality at every point of contact.
Norton Rose Fulbright Verein, a Swiss verein, helps coordinate the activities of Norton Rose Fulbright members but does not itself provide legal services to clients. Norton Rose Fulbright has offices in more than 50 cities worldwide, including London, Houston, New York, Toronto, Mexico City, Hong Kong, Sydney and Johannesburg. For more information, see nortonrosefulbright.com
Offices: We have offices in the world’s most important business, financial and regulatory centres and are active in strategically important growth markets. Our offices are located in Amsterdam, Athens, Austin, Bahrain, Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Brussels, Calgary, Canberra, Cape Town, Casablanca, Dallas, Denver, Dubai, Durban, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Houston, Istanbul, Jakarta (in association with Norton Rose Fulbright Australia), Johannesburg, London, Los Angeles, Luxembourg, Melbourne, Mexico City, Milan, Minneapolis, Monaco, Montréal, Moscow, Munich, New York, Ottawa, Paris, Perth, Piraeus, Port Moresby, Québec, Rio de Janeiro, Riyadh (in association with Mohammed Al-Ghamdi Law Firm), San Antonio, San Francisco, São Paulo, Shanghai, Singapore, St Louis, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, Vancouver, Warsaw and Washington, DC. In Africa, we have alliances with firms in Kenya, Uganda, Burundi and Zimbabwe
Number of partners (worldwide): 1,000+
Number of other fee-earners (worldwide): 2,000+
Total staff: 7,500+
Global key contacts
Financial institutions: James Bateson
Energy: Anne Lapierre and John Mauel
Infrastructure, mining and commodities: Nick Merritt
Transport: Harry Theochari
Technology: Nick Abrahams
Life sciences and healthcare: Stacey Martinez and Randy Sutton
|Financial institutions||Patrick Bourke|
|Infrastructure, mining and commodities||Joanne Emerson Taqi|
|Technology and innovation||Sean Murphy|
|Life sciences and healthcare||Huw Evans|
|Mr Hamed Afzal||Partner||View Profile|
|Adjou Ait Ben Idir||Partner||View Profile|
|John Boehm Jr.||Partner||View Profile|
|Louisa Lynch||Partner||View Profile|
|Mohammed Paracha||Partner||View Profile|
|Paul Stothard||Partner||View Profile|
|Orlando Vidal||Partner||View Profile|
|Deirdre Walker||Partner, Head of Middle East||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of partners (worldwide) : 1,200+ Number of other fee-earners (worldwide) : 3,000+ Total staff : 7,500+
OtherOther offices : Amsterdam Other offices : Athens Other offices : Austin Other offices : Bahrain Other offices : Bangkok Other offices : Beijing Other offices : Bogotá Other offices : Brisbane Other offices : Brussels Other offices : Calgary Other offices : Canberra Other offices : Cape Town Other offices : Caracas Other offices : Casablanca Other offices : Dallas Other offices : Dar es Salaam Other offices : Denver Other offices : Durban Other offices : Frankfurt Other offices : Hamburg Other offices : Hong Kong Other offices : Houston Other offices : Istanbul Other offices : Jakarta (in association with Norton Rose Fulbright Australia) Other offices : Johannesburg Other offices : London Other offices : Los Angeles Other offices : Luxembourg Other offices : Melbourne Other offices : Mexico City Other offices : Milan Other offices : Minneapolis Other offices : Monaco Other offices : Montréal Other offices : Moscow Other offices : Munich Other offices : New York Other offices : Ottawa Other offices : Paris Other offices : Perth Other offices : Piraeus Other offices : Port Moresby Other offices : Québec Other offices : Rio de Janeiro Other offices : Riyadh (in association with Mohammed Al-Ghamdi Law Firm) Other offices : San Antonio Other offices : San Francisco Other offices : São Paulo Other offices : Shanghai Other offices : Singapore Other offices : St Louis Other offices : Sydney Other offices : Tokyo Other offices : Toronto Other offices : Vancouver Other offices : Warsaw Other offices : Washington, DC Other offices : In Africa, it has alliances with firms in Kenya, Uganda, Burundi and Zimbabwe.
United States: International Arbitration
Published: November 2022
Authors: Matthew H. Kirtland Katie Connolly Esha Kamboj Eddie Skolnick Ernesto M. Hernández
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to International Arbitration laws and regulations that may occur in United States.
Hong Kong: Insurance & Reinsurance
Published: May 2022
Authors: James Parker Etelka Bogardi Graeme Mackay Amy Chung
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Insurance & Reinsurance laws and regulations that may occur in Hong Kong.
- Dispute resolution: compliance and investigations
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance: Corporate finance (including Islamic lending)
- Dispute resolution: arbitration and international litigation
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Infrastructure and projects (including project finance)
- Real estate
- Saudi Arabia > Dispute resolution