Fox Williams LLP > London, England > Firm Profile
Fox Williams LLP Offices
10 FINSBURY SQUARE
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Notable Cases
- Client Testimonials
Fox Williams LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsFox Williams LLP’s corporate team has strong expertise in the financial services, technology, media, travel, and professional services sectors. Led by team head Richie Clark , the team has also continued to expand its international work, most notably in the US, Canada, and Germany. Paul Osborne has extensive experience in the technology and financial services sectors. Paul Taylor a strong interest in advising M&A clients in the SME space. Andrew Woolf has a focus on financial services and technology (including fintech). Guy Morgan has particular expertise in public takeovers.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Osborne; Paul Taylor; Andrew Woolf; Guy Morgan; Mary Elliott; Hannah Elliott; Bethany Silkin; Sarah Carlton
‘Very strong depth on the team. Associates moved in and out of a file seamlessly, particularly during COVID.’
‘Richie Clark is an exceptional leader and adviser. He brings calm and poise to the deal and has a “can do” attitude when faced with challenging timelines.’
Constellation Software Inc
Africa Energy Corp.
Mindstone Learning Limited
Illuminate Publishing Limited
Laurens Spethmann Holdings
Plexus Holdings plc
Alpha Lithium Corporation
Walker Books Limited
- Advised Allica Bank on the £710m acquisition of a c.2,000 SME customers and c.£600million of associated lending from AIB Group (UK) Plc following AIB’s exit from the SME market in Great Britain.
- Advised new Canadian-listed client Alpha Lithium Corporation on its $290m joint venture with Russian state-backed Uranium One in respect of Alpha Lithium’s Tolillar lithium asset in Argentina.
- Advised the founder shareholders of Moorgate Benchmarks on the $26m sale of their shares in Moorgate Benchmarks to Morningstar pursuant to a sale of the entire issued share capital of Moorgate Benchmarks.
Other key lawyers:
Aron Pope; Douglas Preece; Gavin Foggo; Joanna Chatterton; Edward Livingstone
‘Aron Pope, Edward Livingstone and Daniel Sutherland are an exceptional team. The team are second to none on their legal knowledge and also on planning their individual strategy to assist clients. I love their clarity of billing processes and the way they manage expectations and their initial case planning. I felt completely assured and enlightened from the outset of my matter and the way remote meetings were managed was great. There was no face to face contact due to the pandemic but this in no way impacted on the delivery of a ‘gold star service’.’
‘We used FW for incorporation of a traditional partnership. We have found the team to be very knowledgeable as to partnership matters and specifically for law firms. I am not aware of any other firms with the same depth of experience as to both the law and our particular industry.’
‘Doug Preece has ‘a good bedside manner’ and is an extremely safe pair of hands.’
‘Extraordinary specialist and market knowledge in the professional services and commercial agreement industries.’
‘Very responsive and practical. Their specialist knowledge in areas such as commercial law, travel agencies and professional services put them in the forefront of the market in those areas.’
‘The team has in-depth knowledge and expertise both of partnership disputes and more general commercial/fraud disputes, in contrast to many partnership specialists who specialise in employment.’
‘A truly outstanding team. Top choice for partnership and LLP disputes. Very experienced. Excellent on litigation tactics and achieving a result for clients. An all round top notch team.’
‘Gavin Foggo is simply the very best partnership/LLP litigator in the market. He gets it right. His judgment is impeccable. He handles clients brilliantly and he knows the law inside out. A pleasure to work with.’
Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
IBB Law LLP
Asafo and Co.
King & Wood Mallesons
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati P.C.
Reed Smith LLP
BDB Pitmans LLP
Holland & Knight
- Advised on one of the largest team moves of the year of a leading competition litigation practice in the UK.
- Advising on UK regulatory issues of the international structure of the largest acquisition in the professional services sector in 2021.
- Secured an eight figure settlement for a law firm partner alleging age discrimination.
Transport > Travel Tier 1With particular expertise in business-critical travel regulatory matters, the travel department at Fox Williams LLP is a growing multidisciplinary practice. Team leader Rhys Griffiths is a travel sector specialist, particularly in relation to online booking platforms, travel agents and tour operators. Lucy England, who joined from Bird & Bird LLP in 2021, has complemented the team with her expertise in travel technology and aviation. Anna Tindall is a key contact, particularly regarding contractual, regulatory and compliance issues in the aviation sphere. Clients benefit from the close ties between this department and the firm’s other practice areas including dispute resolution, financial services, data protection and corporate.
‘The team provides sound advice that is clear and succinct.’
‘Lucy England gives very pragmatic advise. She is quick and extremely easy to work with.’
‘Fox Williams offers exceptional expertise of the regulatory framework underpinning the travel industry. The firm provides pragmatic solutions to difficult problems, and has been very effective in helping the travel industry negotiate the disruption and dislocation caused by Covid -19’s suspension of travel.’
‘Rhys Griffiths provides invaluable expertise of the travel industry regulations, he provides incisive advice, both legal and strategic to his clients. He is extremely adept at representing his clients against regulators, and invariably finds solutions to his client’s advantages.’
‘The team are very quick to respond to our queries and are able to articulate the legal position clearly and concisely.’
‘Rhys Griffiths is available and responsive to our requests. He is also willing to clarify follow up queries and help in-house counsel explain complex concepts to the business.’
‘Travel is a unique sector with a complex and seemingly impenetrable web of rules and regulations. The Fox Williams travel team, led by the incredible Rhys Griffiths, understand how to navigate this better than any other travel practice. I often find other travel practices naive or “in the pocket” of legacy institutions. This team are bold and willing to stand up for their clients in the face of legacy/outdated travel industry dinosaurs. FW is also the place to go for travel tech – they understand how it works better than any other.’
‘Rhys Griffiths is legendary in the travel industry. He understands the regulations back to front and inside out as well as knowing the inner workings, quirks and pressure points of all of the critical industry bodies and regulators. He is bold but sensible and measured, his ability to absorb complex information and apply that to the regs and give fantastic practical/real-life advice is particularly valuable. He is my go-to for all things travel and I would be completely lost without his knowledge, wisdom and advice.’
On The Beach
Travel Network Group
App in the Air
- Acting for On the Beach in High Court proceedings against Ryanair for flight refunds.
- Advised various leading OTAs in response to CMA investigations regarding package holiday refunds.
- Advising one of the world’s largest platforms on its launch of flight sales.
Other key lawyers:
Jane Mann; Imogen Jain; Aron Pope; Ed Livingstone
‘Fox Williams have been extraordinarily responsive, providing great clarity to what they can do, how they can add value and what alternative approaches could look like. The senior team members are directly involved, and they bring in expert colleagues where necessary, bearing in mind costing and the overall objective.’
‘The two partners I worked with both demonstrated expert knowledge but, as importantly, a client focused pragmatic approach to solving problems. Strategising about possible avenues how to deal with the case has been among the most valuable elements. They stood out by being open, approachable and having the client’s case as well as cost implications firmly in mind when providing advice. Communication was easy, efficient at all times and they also worked well together.’
‘The firm is full of innovative thinkers who quickly grasp a situation and propose a pragmatic and sensible solution. They are always several steps ahead.’
‘I work with Aron Pope and Ed Livingstone. I’ve worked with them both personally and professionally. Aron has a unique ability to empathise and make a difficult situation feel manageable. He is strategic and smart and comes up with solutions beyond the norm. Ed is really pragmatic and sensible. He sees through issues and gives really clear and strong advice.’
‘Responsive, grasped concepts quickly and delivered on time.’
‘Joanna Chattreton was outstanding – had contracts to review and rewrite and deliver on in a short time frame and one was complex and I am very pleased with the outcome, I am reaping the benefits today as well.’
‘Jane Mann and Imogen Jain made a strong team supporting me through a complex and emotional dispute, during which I always felt in good hands. The advice I received was technically strong, commercial and robust, all delivered with empathy and cost awareness. While I hope never to be in the same situation again, I would highly recommend Jane and team.’
- Acted for a commodities broker in career loss, sex discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation and personal injury claims.
- Advised a COO and equity partner of investment fund on disciplinary process and expulsion from the LLP and subsequent whistleblowing claim involving employment partnership and FC regulatory advice.
- Advised a senior equity partner of a leading US law firm on an age discrimination claim valued at $20m.
Peter Wright; James Carlton
‘The team is able to swiftly understand the issues and provide effective solutions. I have worked with the firm on several occasions and rate them very highly. They are clear from the outset as to who will be involved with reference to the complexity and speed required.’
‘Both James Carlton and Sona Ganatra are a joy to work with. You can call them at any time and they will respond. A real 24/7 team that has your back.’
‘The team is a leading City firm able to offer me equivalent experience and expertise of a larger City practice without the hindrance of conflicts. Has a broad and deep experience at all levels in the criminal and regulatory teams.’
‘Sebastian Sayer’s experience as a criminal barrister coupled with direct experience gained in-house in the FCA Criminal Prosecution Team at the FCA makes him a go-to lawyer for individuals and firms seeking advice about FCA criminal investigations. He is one to watch.’
‘The level and depth of expertise in contentious regulatory matters makes this team unique.’
‘I have worked closely with James Carlton, Sona Gonatra, Peter Wright and Sebastian Sayer for a number of years. They are all highly professional with excellent judgement and understanding of complex regulatory matters. Sona has superb client handling skills and is an analytically excellent lawyer. She is incisive and forensic.’
‘Fox Williams have a really talented financial services team led by Peter Wright. They are excellent and my first choice.’
‘Peter Wright – simply the best. James Carlton – for investigations with a criminal / white collar angle, he is brilliant.’
‘Fox Williams have a great team with an in depth understanding of the industry and commercial awareness; offering focused, proactive legal advice.’
‘Elizabeth Ruff – professional, committed approach to the work, extensive skillset and gave me complete confidence from our first meeting, no problem too big or too small.
‘ll of the team are an asset to the firm; however, having worked closely with Mary Majewska I’ve found her to be extremely knowledgeable, proactive, quick to action requests and a pleasure to work with. Mary has many strengths and I consider her to be a valuable resource.’
‘Practical, commercial advice, giving you action points and routes through problems rather than brick walls. Extremely personable; a genuine pleasure to be on every call.’
‘Nish Kapoor: personable, concise, practical and doesn’t sit on the fence with advice. Clearly has a wealth of experience. Five stars.’
Panther Securities Plc
- Advised new fintech client, Copper Technologies on all of its occupational real estate requirements after recent funding rounds of £25M and £51M from the exit of leased space in Mayfair, to the acquisition of high quality but short term temporary managed office space in Mayfair together with the marquee acquisition of 30,000 sq ft of leased space from an institutional landlord in Soho.
- Advised Japanese international cosmetics company, Shiseido, on their exit from their existing leased space and the acquisition of c,13,500 sq ft of Grade A office space at 1 Kingsway.
- Advised Glendower Capital LLP on its relocation to 8 St James’s Square, London. Advised in relation to a substantial fit out and wayleave arrangements and continue to advise in relation to the exit from its current premises.
Go Car Credit
Allianz Strategic Investments Sarl (Allianz X)
- Advised challenger bank, Allica Bank, on the funding and acquisition of a £600m loan portfolio from AIB.
- Advised FinTech Tabeo on the structured debt facilities provided to lenders lending via the Tabeo platform to fund dental healthcare as well as advising on new products.
- Advised consumer finance lender, Koyo Loans, on a $50m debt and equity line from Atalaya Capital.
finnCap Group Plc
Allenby Capital LLP
Shore Capital & Corporate Limited
Plexus Group Holdings Plc
Summerway Capital Plc
Directa Plus Plc
Tatton Asset Management Plc
Westmount Energy Ltd
Cedarvale Holdings Ltd
Arden Partners Plc
- Advised long-standing AIM listed client Summerway Capital plc on its £80m acquisition of Vertigrow Technology Ltd and associated £8.5m fundraise.
- Advised long-standing client Allenby Capital Limited, Optiva Securities Limited and Clear Capital Markets Limited on the recent AIM IPO of Bens Creek Group plc and related placing.
- Advised Directa Plus, a leading producer and supplier of graphene nanoplatelets based products for use in consumer and industrial markets, on a £7m secondary fundraising by means of a placing and direct subscription.
Other key lawyers:
‘A highly reliable and deeply experienced mid-market litigation outfit, with a team of knowledgable lawyers who are able to add to its highly-regarded offering by drawing in assistance from complementary departments within the firm.’
‘Gavin Foggo is gaining a well-deserved reputation for being able to handle the biggest commercial fraud cases.’
‘Gavin Foggo is a tremendous litigator with many years experience. He gets to the issues quickly and provides straightforward advice.’
‘Tom Custance is deeply experienced and unflappable. A litigator to have on your side.‘
‘Peter Ashford is excellent – really interested in the law and unswerving in his desire to use the law to the advantage of his clients; and he is supported by a good team of really bright associates.’
‘Peter Ashford gets to the heart of the legal questions in a case and grapples with them. He is willing to go to any length to find a legal route to victory for his client in court. He is also commercially pragmatic and won’t fight silly points.’
‘David Butler is a standout commercial and fraud litigator who has seen it all before; and new partner Evie Meleagros is incisive, imaginative and hardworking.‘
‘Legal director Rebecca Richardson was deservedly promoted this year – quietly on top of the material and highly effective in her litigation role.’
The Software Incubator
Genesis Properties Holding
Transcendent Global Finance
Transcendent (SG) Pte
Ickenham Travel Group
On the Beach and subsidiaries
Global Risk Partners
- Acted for The Software Incubator in relation to a favourable ruling obtained from the Court of Justice of the European Union, which declared the sale of electronically-supplied software to be a sale of goods within the meaning of the Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993.
- Acted for Secretariat in the Court of Appeal case, Secretariat Consulting Pte Ltd v A Company, marking a leading decision in English law on the duties of experts in international arbitration.
- Defended Genesis Properties Holding, Genesis Kinghwa, Transcendent Global Finance and Transcendent (SG) Pte against claims for knowing receipt of approximately $30m.
‘We use Fox Williams across a multitude of workstreams. They offer fair,value for money advice.’
‘Emma Bailey gave us excellent advice on how to structure our employee share scheme.’
‘Emma Bailey is able and inventive lawyer.’
Appfleet (Pomelo Pay)
Equiem Holdings Pty
Vita Brevis (VIP Ski)
- Advised a number of divisions within Constellation Software Inc. Group in respect of the employee equity incentive issues arising from acquisitions of UK target companies.
- Advised Walker Morris on the employee equity incentive issues arising from its client’s, Emplifi (an Audax Private Equity investee), acquisition of SYM-SYS LTD (Go Instore) from its shareholders.
- Assisted ETC Holdings, a leading arranger and issuer of cryptocurrency ETCs, with appropriate equity structures for its senior employees and directors.
Employment > Employers Tier 4Fox Williams LLP is known for its specialism representing LLPs and partnerships, particularly international and UK law firms on sensitive partner related issues, discrimination and regulatory and reporting obligations of solicitors and barristers. Joanna Chatterton and David Murphy have a track record acting for financial and professional services sector clients on the full range of advisory and contentious employment work. Jane Mann and Aron Pope act for the firms’ tech and fintech clients.
‘The team has a very strong subject matter expertise and manages to convey the legal questions in a very pragmatic and timely manner. Their advise is always very practical but as well well founded on legal rational and expertise.’
‘It lives up to its branding – Good sense in the City. Highly pragmatic, collaborative and responsive. Very experienced employment lawyers who are enjoyable to work with.’
‘David Murphy has been excellent. Always efficient and on the ball, delivering his work in a calm, effective and unruffled manner. A delight to work with and supremely capable.’
‘Joanna Chatterton and her team on our senior executive level work, Jo and her team are efficient and professional with timely communication and replies. We value their expertise and thoughts tremendously.’
‘I am impressed by the work of Jane Mann and her team based upon a strong “client first” ethos. Jane brings a particular breadth and depth of experience from the most senior levels of corporate life that is very helpful.’
‘Aron Pope -Always knowledgeable, available and gives clear balances advice.’
‘The team is very responsive and appreciates, and responds to, the time pressures and quick turnaround often required with employment issues.’
‘They are very agile in dealing with queries, and always allocate work to the appropriate level of expertise. They are very approachable.’
Bank Leumi (UK) plc
King & Wood Mallesons
Savannah Energy plc
Hastens (UK) Beds Limited
Kuwait Investment Office
Castleton Commodities (UK) Ltd
- Advised an international law firm on managing allegations of sexual harassment and complaints to the SRA against a partner.
- Advised a private bank on employment and regulatory implication arising from suspected financial crimes.
- Advised Savannah Energy plc and 6 directors on the defence of whistleblowing and discrimination allegations by senior employee.
Stephen Sidkin; Rhys Griffiths
‘Team have excellent knowledge in technology company related matters. They are experts at dealing with issues surrounding e-commerce and terms of service related issues.’
‘There is an immense amount of knowledge in the practice both in relation to past experience and of the current trading environment. The business is proactive in sharing legal changes and the possible impact on business and therefore their clients.’
‘The team is thorough, knowledgeable and delivers in a timely manner on all work.’
- Advised Connexity Inc. on its international merchant agreement for online shopping.
- Advised Fidel on its strategic partner agreements with Visa.
- Advised Graziani on a supply agreement with a leading British multinational consumer goods company.
TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design Tier 4Fox Williams LLP‘s IP practice is well known for its work in the fashion, retail and consumer, technology, and fintech sectors. IP transactions, disputes, trade marks and design portfolio management are all in the purview of the team, which is spearheaded by Simon Bennett, who is trusted by a range of lifestyle brands and furniture companies thanks to his trade mark and infringement expertise. The team also benefits from Nigel Miller and Stephen Sidkin, specialising in emerging technologies and fashion-related IP issues respectively.
‘Simon Bennett and Sarah Redmond, whom we know best (and have known for many years), are very experienced and knowledgeable professionals. They are also very nice people. It is a pleasure to work with them.’
‘Great dedication to matters entrusted to the firm. Partners are accessible.’
Glanbia Performance Nutrition, Inc.
Gordon Bennett International Limited
Fox Brothers Limited
Hardie Grant UK Limited
Gino Cerruti (UK) Limited
- Acted for the Ferrara Candy Company in an action against multiple third parties using NERDS and NERD packaging on smoking articles in the UK.
- Acted for Beyond Encryption in a trade mark dispute against Microsoft.
- Acted for Greenapple in an IPEC design right claim.
Other key lawyers:
Pollyanna Deane; Jon Segal
‘Chris Finney – always available expert.’
‘Chris Finney and his team are responsive, easy to deal with and know their subject area and given clear and commercial advice.’
‘Chris Finney – always makes himself available and has a positive and clear communication style whether with other lawyers or directly with clients.’
Gavin Foggo; David Butler
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Hill; Rebecca Richardson; Evie Meleagros
‘They are in the happy place of being large enough to take on the biggest cases, whilst small enough that their teams remain focused on the matters in hand.’
‘Excellent breadth of experience in commercial litigation in the UK & offshore.’
‘Fox Williams’ civil fraud capability is nimble and committed, capable of outmanoeuvring larger opposing teams.’
‘Gavin Foggo is an excellent litigator with a good strategic sense. He knows exactly what clients want to achieve.’
‘The team works very closely as a unit and plays to everyone’s strengths. They are very imaginative and strategic on both sides of the claimant/defendant divide.’
‘David Butler: really clever; best strategist I work with; gets offshore and gets what you can or cannot do in various jurisdictions.’
‘Rebecca Richardson – very deservedly recently promoted. Rebecca not only gets into the detail of the case, but also directs it to get the best possible results.’
‘Evie Meleagros is a tough and tactical litigator who is on top of the detail.’
Genesis Properties Holding LLC and others
Hertz Europe Ltd
Global Risk Partners Limited
Pamplona Strategic Investments Limited
MS Amlin Plc
IFG Group Plc
Balderton Capital LLP
Meem Memory Limited
Euro Pacific Card Services Limited
- Acted for Chipper Management Limited in defending a €65m claim brought by KMG International NV arising out of the alleged fraudulent dissipation of the shares in Novero GmbH and their eventual sale to Laird Limited.
- Acted for Genesis Properties Holding LLC, Genesis Kinghwa LLC, Transcendent Global Finance Inc and Transcendent (SG) Pte Ltd in claims against them for knowing receipt of $30m dollars.
James Carlton; Peter Wright
Other key lawyers:
Gavin Foggo; Peter Ashford; Ben Giaretta
‘A niche arbitration practice comprising really well-known market names – its market recognition is huge compared to its relatively small size. Clients know these lawyers are going to do a good job.‘
‘Peter Ashford – a doyen of the arbitration world. At the top of the tree and highly respected within arbitration circles. Author of a number of leading texts, experienced arbitrator, and a great confidant of the younger generation – he is the full package.‘
‘Peter Ashford gets to the heart of the legal questions in a case and grapples with them. He is very good on the tactics of arbitration, and has encyclopaedic knowledge of the law and practice of international arbitration. He is also commercially pragmatic and won’t fight silly points.’
‘Peter Ashford literally writes the books, and always provides calm, knowledgeable guidance for his clients.’
‘Ben Giaretta impresses with his knowledge and understanding of the law involved, and his willingness to consider different aspects of disputes with an open mind. He has handled a large number of international arbitrations and is definitely an asset to the firm.’
‘Ben Giaretta thinks outside the box, and is able to run with an idea to get the best and most productive outcome.’
‘Ben Giaretta is continuing to make a big name for himself in arbitration -someone to watch, undoubtedly.’
‘Ben Giaretta is an outstanding lawyer – very good on partnership arbitrations. Highly experienced and effective, and he benefits from sitting as an arbitrator regularly.’
On the Beach
The Sultanate of Oman
The Saudi Technology Development and Investment Company – Taqnia
- Acted for Secretariat in the Court of Appeal, in a leading case in English law about the duties of experts in international arbitration.
Employment > Immigration Tier 6Fox Williams LLP‘s immigration team is led by experienced practitioner Sacha Schoenfeld, and focuses on devising bespoke solutions for business and individual clients with complex immigration issues. Its corporate practice extends from sponsor licence and compliance management to transactions and transfers, with key sectors including the financial services and technology industries. Senior associate Adele Standard is highly recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fox Williams has always been the best choice for any visa and immigration matters – the firm has an impressive track record and capabilities in this area.’
‘Very knowledgeable about the UK Sponsorship Licence – understand employers’ lack of understanding and skill around this topic. Have the ability to guide us through.’
‘Sacha Schoenfeld stands out as she seems to be able to answer any question on visas, immigration, sponsorship. She is prompt to respond to emails.’
‘Adele Standard is a perfect legal professional – she possesses not only a deep knowledge of law, but also knows industry practices and can always come up with an optimal legal strategy. She (and her team) are very approachable and responsive, consistently meet deadlines and can, simply speaking, get the job done – quickly, efficiently and for more than reasonable costs.’
‘Fox Williams has always been very efficient. The biggest strength of Fox Williams is their staff and the quality of the work produced, the feeling that they are taking the total responsibility of the mission to bring it to a positive result. Actually, it appears as simple, but it is just called ‘trust’.’
‘Our main and almost unique contact is Adele Standard who is always available, answers very quickly and very precisely to our requests, anticipates specific milestones. All the folders she had to work on went to a positive end, respecting the way she initially planned and explained to us when we started. We also have excellent contact with Sacha Schoenfeld when Adele is off.’
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati P.C.
Strategic Value Partners UK Ltd
Ocorian Services UK Ltd
C&J Clark International Ltd
Newgen Software Technologies Ltd
Domestic & General Group Ltd
Steptoe & Johnson UK Ltd
Castleton Commodities International LLC
Fox Williams LLP > Firm Profile
The firm: Fox Williams is a leading law firm based in the City of London and is trusted by clients and by other law firms to provide quality advice with a high level of partner involvement and an astute commercial focus.
Fox Williams is especially active in eight key sectors — fashion, financial services, fintech, natural resources, professional services and partnerships, publishing and digital media, technology and travel.
It supports clients nationally and internationally on their most important and complex legal and regulatory matters and is known for its ability deliver effective solutions. The firm’s flexibility allows it to represent companies at all stages of their development from entrepreneurs and start-ups to longstanding listed companies.
Its strong collaborative culture means it can assemble cross-practice teams quickly to provide comprehensive legal support. The firm’s activities are underpinned by its core values of great client service, integrity and professionalism which, allied to its ambition and good sense, secures the best results for clients
Principal areas of work
Corporate: The firm advises on IPOs, mergers and acquisitions, buy-outs, funding rounds, joint ventures, private equity investment and venture capital. The firm has corporate specialists in banking and debt finance, insolvency, financial services including fintech and tax.
Commercial: The firm’s commercial lawyers provide a wide range of services to businesses in many industries, including fashion, financial services, technology and travel. Lawyers regularly advise on agency and distributorship agreements, data security, GDPR and cyber issues, concession and franchise agreements, technology licensing and IT agreements, intellectual property, and EU and UK competition law.
Employment: One of the pre-eminent employment practices in the UK, Fox Williams advises clients on group-wide strategic issues and sensitive employee matters, particularly in relation to senior executives and disputes of reputational significance such as discrimination and whistle-blowing. The team, which includes business immigration experts, is well known for advising in the financial and professional services sectors, in regulatory matters and in board and governance disputes.
Disputes: The firm’s dispute resolution lawyers advise on heavyweight UK and international litigation, securities litigation, arbitration, regulatory and white-collar crime cases and corporate investigations. The team has a specialist focus on the financial services sector, including regulatory advice and investigations, financial and banking claims, civil and criminal fraud and investigations, bribery and corruption. The team also advises on international arbitration, transactional claims, directors’ duties and shareholder disputes, commercial agents’ cases, employment and partnership disputes.
Real estate: Fox Williams’ real estate lawyers advise on a wide range of issues including land acquisitions and disposals, secured lending, business leases, and landlord and tenant issues. Clients include public and private companies, pension funds, property companies (UK and offshore), local authorities, family offices and high net-worth individuals.
|Business immigration||Sacha Schoenfeldfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Capital markets||Guy Morganemail@example.com|
|Commercial agreements||Stephen Sidkinfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate crime (including fraud)||James Carltonemail@example.com|
|Data protection||Nigel Millerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dispute resolution||Gavin Foggoemail@example.com|
|Financial services (non-contentious)||Chris Finneyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Financial services (contentious)||Peter Wrightemail@example.com|
|Intellectual property||Simon Bennettfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|International arbitration||Peter Ashfordemail@example.com|
|Real estate||Phillip Hopefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tax and incentives||Emma Baileyemail@example.com|
|Financial services: Insurance||Pollyanna Deanefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Fraud: Civil||David Butleremail@example.com|
|Dispute resolution||Tom Custancefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Financial services (contentious)||Sona Ganatraemail@example.com|
|International arbitration||Ben Giarettafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Securities litigation||Andrew Hillemail@example.com|
|Real estate||Nish Kapoorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Peter Ashford||Partner in the litigation and dispute resolution department. Focuses primarily on international…||View Profile|
|Emma Bailey||Partner Emma has extensive experience advising on a broad range of direct…||View Profile|
|Simon Bennett||Simon advises clients in a variety of intellectual property matters ranging from…||View Profile|
|David Butler||Partner David is a fraud and corporate disputes lawyer and head of…||View Profile|
|James Carlton||Partner James is a partner in Fox Williams’ white-collar and contentious financial…||View Profile|
|Joanna Chatterton||Partner Joanna is head of Fox Williams’ employment team and advises both…||View Profile|
|Richie Clark||Partner Richie is head of Fox Williams’ corporate team and specialise in M&A,…||View Profile|
|Tom Custance||Partner specialising in a range of commercial disputes including insurance/reinsurance claims, banking/finance…||View Profile|
|Pollyanna Deane||Partner||View Profile|
|Hannah Elliott||Hannah is a partner in Fox Williams’ corporate team and has experience…||View Profile|
|Mary Elliott||Partner||View Profile|
|Lucy England||Partner Lucy advises businesses across the aviation and travel industries on the…||View Profile|
|Chris Finney||Partner||View Profile|
|Gavin Foggo||Partner and head of commercial dispute resolution department specialising in: UK and…||View Profile|
|Sona Ganatra||Partner Sona is a partner in Fox Williams’ financial services team, specialising in…||View Profile|
|Ben Giaretta||Partner Ben is co-head Fox Williams’ international arbitration team and represent clients in…||View Profile|
|Rhys Griffiths||Partner||View Profile|
|Andrew Hill||Partner||View Profile|
|Phillip Hope||Phillip heads the real estate department. He specialises in advising individual and…||View Profile|
|Nish Kapoor||Partner Nish is a partner in Fox Williams’ real estate team, advising on…||View Profile|
|Jane Mann||Jane is a partner in the employment department, specialising in all aspects…||View Profile|
|Nigel Miller||Nigel is a founding partner of Fox Williams LLP and leads the…||View Profile|
|Guy Morgan||Partner||View Profile|
|David Murphy||Partner||View Profile|
|Paul Osborne||Senior partner Paul is a corporate partner with a deep understanding of…||View Profile|
|Aron Pope||Partner specialising in advice to employers and employees on all aspects of…||View Profile|
|Doug Preece||Partner in the corporate department specialising in mergers and acquisitions, with a…||View Profile|
|Elizabeth Ruff||Partner specialising in all aspects of commercial property work. Liz has many…||View Profile|
|Sacha Schoenfeld||Sacha joined Fox Williams in April 2016 as Head of the Immigration…||View Profile|
|Jonathan Segal||Jonathan is a partner in Fox Williams’ corporate and technology teams, who…||View Profile|
|Stephen Sidkin||Head of commerce and technology department specialising in agency and distributorship agreements,…||View Profile|
|Kolvin Stone||Partner Kolvin leads Fox Williams’ technology group, and has advised some of…||View Profile|
|Daniel Sutherland||Partner specialising in advising professional services firms, the law relating to limited…||View Profile|
|Paul Taylor||Partner specialising in corporate, banking and insolvency. Paul also heads up FW’s…||View Profile|
|Tina Williams||Strategic consultant focusing on international mergers and acquisitions and professional practices.||View Profile|
|Andrew Woolf||Partner in corporate. Andrew advises clients on public and private mergers and…||View Profile|
|Peter Wright||Partner Peter leads Fox Williams’ cross-practice financial services sector group. His personal practice…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of UK partners : 38 Number of associate solicitors : 52 Number of other UK fee-earners : 13
- The Software Incubator Limited (TSI) against Computer Associates Limited Fox Williams acted for The Software Incubator in this landmark case
- Instructed in a number of the largest and most complex white collar investigations and prosecutions brought by the UK Prosecuting Authorities, including the Serious Fraud Office, the Financial Conduct Authority, Revenue and Customs, the Office of Fair Trading and the Crown Prosecution Service, relating to allegations of fraud, money laundering, insider dealing, market abuse, cheating the Revenue, MTIC, anti-competitive practices, corruption and false accounting.
- Fox Williams acted for Plexus Holdings plc on its recent £6million placing of new ordinary shares.
- Fox Williams advised the seller of The Cavendish Consultancy Limited, t/a Cavendish Hospitality & Events (Cavendish) in relation to the sale of the entire issued share capital of Cavendish to AOK Events Limited (AOK).
- Fox Williams acted for Plexus in connection with a Licence Agreement with Yantai Jereh Oilfield Services Group Co., Ltd which represents a transformational milestone for Plexus and is in line with its strategy of significantly increasing the global reach of its POS-GRIP® wellhead equipment.
- Edge Resources Inc. – acted for this TSXV Canadian oil & gas exploration and production company on its dual listing on AIM and on its $5 million UK placing
- Fox Williams advised leading AIM nominated advisor and broker Allenby Capital Limited (Allenby) on the recent AIM IPO of Cogenpower plc (Cogenpower) the first company to IPO on AIM in 2016.
- Fox Williams advised Smiths Gore on its acquisition by Savills for up to £40 million in cash
- Fox Williams has advised UK-based lending platform ThinCats, Europes biggest platform for secured peer-to-peer (P2P) business loans, on its auction of Europes largest non-property peer-to-peer (P2P) loan.
- We acted for Raphael Geys, a former Managing Director for Société Générale, in his successful claim against the bank, in which the Supreme Court handed down a landmark judgment in relation to the circumstances in which an employment contract can be terminated.
- The loan of £3.5m, to insurance group LAMP, is over three years with an interest payment of 9% per annum and is underwritten by ESF Capital. Founded in 2005 and with net assets of £24.5m, LAMP is one of the largest businesses to seek P2P funding
- SuperGroup PLC intellectual property issues including management and registration of all trade marks and designs, enforcement of rights and drafting and advising on domestic and international distribution, franchise, licence and agency agreements. Co-ordinating infringement actions in the UK, and cross border actions in France, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Holland, Turkey, USA, Canada, Japan, China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Australia and New Zealand.
CLIENT: M&A client
TESTIMONIAL: “I want to say that we couldn’t have got across the goal line without you. We always felt like we were in good hands and well represented with you on our side. While this was our first UK acquisition – this will not be our last. We look forward to working on many more deals together.”
CLIENT: Financial services client
TESTIMONIAL: “Many thanks for your help on this matter. I found Fox Williams to be very attentive and your advice straight forward, pragmatic and to the point. I would be only too pleased to recommend you to others when the time comes.”
CLIENT: Investment banker
TESTIMONIAL: “Fox Williams is simply outstanding! Your collective responsiveness and professionalism was truly impressive. Thanks for your speedy turn around and counsel throughout the process.”
CLIENT: Financial services company
TESTIMONIAL: “It has been a tremendous pleasure working with you. We know that you have put an enormous amount of work into preparing the best possible case for [the client]. I think that the work that Fox Williams did was the difference between winning and losing.”
CLIENT: M&A technology client
TESTIMONIAL: “I can’t tell you how much I appreciate everything you have done. Fox Williams team – we are so fortunate to have you as our counsel. It is a real pleasure to work with such dedicated, committed and talented individuals. Thanks for being so wonderful to work with!”
The firm is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture.
We are proud of our dynamic, creative and diverse workforce and want to attract the most talented individuals to join us. We strongly believe that diversity is critical to our success as a business: a more diverse workforce encourages fresh thinking, new perspectives and different approaches to our clients’ issues.
Our People: “We treat each other as we would want to be treated: with respect.”
The concept of “Our People” is the centre of our core values and we seek to understand and celebrate what makes each of us unique. We are committed to ensuring that each individual is valued, respected and treated fairly at work. As part of that commitment, we also focus on the physiological and psychological health and wellbeing of our staff.
Fox Williams is a signatory to the Law Society’s Diversity and Inclusion Charter and we are committed to promoting diversity, equality and inclusion and achieving best practice in our recruitment, retention and career progression practices. Our inclusivity initiatives are led by our Diversity and Inclusion partner, Sona Ganatra, and our HR partner Blair Wright together with our Diversity and Inclusion Forum.
Our current Diversity and Inclusion initiatives include:
Education and celebration: Our active D&I Forum encourage participation across the firm to mark important occasions throughout the year to better understand and celebrate the backgrounds and interests of our diverse workforce. As part of our D&I “Bringing the Outside In” calendar of events this year, we have hosted external speakers on Trans and Non-binary education, Imposter Syndrome, organised city history walks for Black History month, and published an FW cookbook for World Culture Day.
Staff wellbeing: We have a wide ranging programme of events to raise awareness of the importance of mental and physical well-being for everyone in the firm including access to a clinical psychologist, mental health first aiders, gyms discounts, cycle to work schemes.
Flexible working: We recognise that some of us may have commitments outside of work; whether that is caring for family members or a keen interest in sport. A significant proportion of our staff currently work on a flexible basis, enabling them to balance different aspects of their lives.
Agile working: Following our experience of remote working over the last 18 months we want to support Our People to maintain the benefits from a more agile approach to work. Our new approach will be to offer a 50:50 split between home and office working to all.
Working parents: We understand the need for parents to balance family obligations and we have matched our enhanced shared parental pay with our enhanced maternity pay. We are a member of Cityparents and all our staff have access to a programme of seminars aimed at helping working parents.
Mentoring: In addition to providing excellent professional training to our staff, we also offer a mentoring scheme to our lawyers, to provide additional support and guidance.
Addressing the Ethnicity Pay Gap and the Gender Pay Gap: We want to ensure that we retain and support all of our talented lawyers and staff. We report on a voluntary basis to our staff on our gender pay gap and our ethnicity pay gap. We have a number of initiatives underway to assist addressing those gaps, including a partner sponsorship programme to our senior associates and legal directors.
Reverse Mentoring: we have recently completed a reverse mentoring scheme with our Board and are now taking forward the challenges put forward by the participants including reviewing our recruitment processes.
Volunteering: We encourage and provide opportunities to our staff to volunteer for projects which are important to them through offering half a day per quarter (two days per year) out of the office to spend with charities of their choice.
Partnerships: We are proud to partner with and offer mentor relationships to students from Upreach, an organisation committed to improving social mobility by creating the conditions for undergraduates from less advantaged backgrounds to access and sustain top graduate jobs.
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Transport > Travel
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Senior executives
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Employment > Employee share schemes
- Employment > Employers
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration