Jamie Susskind > Chambers of Gavin Mansfield QC > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Chambers of Gavin Mansfield QC Offices
3 KING'S BENCH WALK NORTH, TEMPLE
- Go to...
Barrister specialising in employment and equality law, commercial law, sports law, public law and human rights, and EU/competition law. He regularly appears against barristers many years his senior.
Called 2013; Gray’s Inn.
Current and recent work includes:
- Gruber v American International Group  EWHC 3030 (led by Daniel Oudkerk QC and Amy Rogers) – litigation arising from the US bailout of AIG in 2008.
- Alesco Risk Management Services Limited v Bishopsgate Insurance Brokers Limited (led by David Craig QC and Amy Rogers) – high-profile insurance “team move” litigation.
- Vanden Recycling Ltd v Kras Recycling BV (led by Jonathan Cohen QC) in the Court of Appeal  EWCA Civ 534;  EWHC 3616.
- Mathur v Deutsche Bank Aktiengesellschaft (led by Mohinderpal Sethi QC) –whistleblowing and discrimination claim arising out of the LIBOR scandal.
- R (Campaign Against Antisemitism) v Director of Public Prosecutions (led by Brian Kennelly QC) – successful judicial review of the DPP’s decision not to prosecute a neo-Nazi. The DPP quashed her own decision. This case received national coverage.
French (basic); Hebrew (very basic).
ELA; ELBA; HRLA.
University of Oxford (top First in year); City University; BPP.
Jamie graduated first in his year from Oxford University and has held fellowships at Harvard and Stanford. He wrote the award-winning bestseller Future Politics: Living Together in a World Transformed by Tech (OUP, 2018), which received the 2019 Estoril Global Issues Distinguished Book Prize.
Scholarships and prizes
Gray’s Inn James Hunt Advocacy prize (2014); Gray’s Inn Arden scholarship (2014); Gray’s Inn Bedingfield Scholarship (2013); Gray’s Inn David Karmel Entrance Award (2012); Oxford University William Gladstone Memorial prize (2010); Oxford University Gibbs Book prize (2010); Magdalen College Atkinson prize (‘outstanding work in…History Finals’) (2010); Oxford Union Edward Tomlinson Memorial prize for the best speech made at the Oxford Union in the academic year (2009-10); Magdalen College Angus McIntyre Prize for History (2009); Magdalen College Demyship (scholarship) (2009); Magdalen College Demyship (scholarship) (2008); First Class (Distinction), Preliminary Examinations) (2008); Youngest ever Captain of England Schools
Debating Team, ranked number one in Debater in the World (2006), number two debater in the World (2007), four nations debating champion (2006; 2007). Publications of note: ‘Karl Marx and British Intellectuals in the 1930s’ (2011); ‘De Smith’s Judicial Review’ (assistant editor, 7th Edition, 2013; first supplement 2014).
Boxing; golf; football; Middle East politics; labour politics; kung fu.