Alexander Halban > Chambers of Gavin Mansfield QC > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Chambers of Gavin Mansfield QC Offices
3 KING'S BENCH WALK NORTH, TEMPLE
- Go to...
Alexander specialises in commercial disputes, civil fraud, asset tracing, insolvency and company law. Most of his cases have an international element and originate from a wide range of jurisdictions including the CIS, Europe and the Caribbean.
Called 2009; Alexander is a fluent Russian speaker and has a particular expertise in CIS disputes. Amongst many other CIS cases, he recently appeared in National Bank Trust v Yurov, a nine-week Commercial Court trial of a Russian banking fraud claim for US$1 billion. Alexander also speaks fluent French.
Alexander has wide experience of appearing in the High Court (led and as sole counsel) in trials and interlocutory matters, particularly in jurisdictional challenges and applications for injunctive relief. He has also appeared in the Court of Appeal, Privy Council and the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights.
Recent cases include:
- National Bank Trust v Yurov (2016-19): acting for defendants (led by Paul Stanley Q.C. and Tom Poole) in a nine-week Commercial Court fraud claim brought by a Russian bank alleging misappropriation of $1 billion against its former directors and shareholders, raising complex issues of Russian law on directors’ and employees’ liability and involving detailed scrutiny of forensic accountancy evidence. The case was listed as one The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases of 2017
- A v B (2019): acting (as sole counsel) in an LCIA arbitration concerning an attempted corporate raid on a Russian airline by a former joint venture partner, claiming debts of US$220 million
- Cossac Holdings v Preferred Management (2019): acting (as sole counsel) in a shareholders’ dispute between two rival factions for control of a major Russian insurance company, in which the minority shareholders accuse the majority of wrongfully taking control of the company, and embezzling money from the company
- VTB Bank v Laptev (2019): acting (as sole counsel) in bankruptcy proceedings for £25 million brought by a Russian bank against a Russian-domiciled individual who is already in Russian bankruptcy proceedings, raising complex issues on bankruptcy jurisdiction and conflicts of laws
- Lefebvre d’Ovidio v Lefebvre d’Ovidio (2019): acting for the claimants (led by Charles Samek Q.C.) in an application for a freezing order under s. 25 of the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982 in support of proceedings in Italy million concerning the ownership of Silversea Cruises, valued at €750 million
Russian (fluent, including study at the State University of St. Petersburg, Russia)
Russia and CIS Arbitration Network (RCAN)
Rusfor (Russian-Speaking Legal Professionals Forum)
Alexander read History and Russian at St John’s College, University of Oxford, where he graduated with First Class Honours in 2007. He completed the Graduate Diploma in Law and the Bar Vocational Course at City University, London, during which he was awarded a number of scholarships and prizes.
MA (Oxon), Modern History and Russian (First Class), St John’s College, Oxford
Graduate Diploma in Law (Commendation), City Law School
Bar Vocational Course (Outstanding), City Law School