Charlotte John > Gatehouse Chambers > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Gatehouse Chambers Offices
1 Lady Hale Gate, Gray’s Inn
- Go to...
Charlotte’s practice focuses on Chancery and property litigation and encompasses both traditional Chancery and commercial work. She has particular expertise in matters concerning the administration of estates and trusts, contentious probate, real property as well as Court of Protection property and affairs matters.
She is recommended in both the Legal 500, where she is ranked for Private Client and Property and Construction, and Chambers UK, where she is ranked for Real Estate Litigation. The editorial praises her for her encyclopaedic knowledge, commitment to her cases and her client care skills.
Charlotte regularly produces articles relating to her specialist areas of practice and blogs at Equity’s Darling on private client and property law. Together with James Kessler QC, she has co-authored the latest edition of Drafting Trusts & Will Trusts (Sweet & Maxwell).
Charlotte is an accredited Trust & Estates Practitioner with the Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners (“STEP”). She was recently co-opted to serve on the STEP working group which liaised with the Ministry of Justice during lockdown in the lead up to the introduction of the Remote witnessing of Wills: The Wills Act 1837 (Electronic Communications) (Amendment) (Coronavirus) Order 2020 and which produced guidance for STEP members on the remote execution of wills. She is also presently involved in the STEP working group set up to review the STEP Standard Provisions.
She is a qualified arbitrator offering IFLA scheme arbitrations on TOLATA and 1975 Act claims.
Charlotte sits as a Deputy District Judge in the County Court and Financial Remedies Court.
- Chancery Bar Association
- Property Bar Association
- Accredited Trusts & Estates Practitioner with STEP (Society of Trusts & Estates Practitioners)
- Court of Protection Practitioners Association
- Contentious Trusts Association
- STEP Diploma in the Administration of Trusts and Estates (England and Wales)
- College of Law, Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists Diploma
- BPP BVC (Outstanding, first in order of merit)
- BPP GDL (Distinction, first in order of merit)
- Sussex University, MA International Relations (Distinction, third in order of merit)
- University of Southampton, BA (Hons) Archaeology (First Class, first in order of merit)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading Juniors)Ranked: Tier 4
Charlotte John – Gatehouse Chambers ‘ Charlotte is exceptionally thorough. She is diligent, responsive, and engaging. In addition, we are very pleased with her client interaction including Charlotte’s ability to communicate with people at all levels. ’(Leading Juniors)Ranked: Tier 1