Shazia Akhtar > Gatehouse Chambers > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Gatehouse Chambers Offices
1 Lady Hale Gate, Gray’s Inn
- Go to...
Shazia practises in public and administrative law – including education law, discrimination, community care and human rights. Her practice also includes commercial work such as contractual disputes, property disputes relating to academies, advising on pensions in the context of local government, judicially reviewing decisions of the Financial Conduct Authority and procurement matters, particularly in relation to public authorities. She has a diverse practice, acting for local authorities; public bodies; NGOs; commercial organisations and individuals. She has been consistently ranked as a leading junior by the Legal 500. Shazia is also a qualified mediator (ADR Group).
Where appropriate Shazia is happy to receive instructions on a direct access basis.
From 2012-2017 Shazia was based in Geneva and has now returned to London. Shazia continues to work internationally and for UK based clients.
- Shazia is one of 36 barristers selected for the inaugural Bar Council Leadership Programme
- Shazia is taking part in the Bar Standards Board Race Equality Taskforce pilot reverse mentoring scheme, in which she is mentoring Derek Sweeting QC, Chair of the Bar. Race Equality Taskforce Reverse Mentoring Scheme (barstandardsboard.org.uk)
- Shazia is Consultant Editor of Halsbury’s Laws of England, Education (Vols 35-36A) 2020.
- Administrative Law Bar Association
- Education Law Association
- Human Rights Lawyers Association
- Young International Arbitration Group
- Court of Protection Bar Association
- Bsoc.Sc, University of Manchester
- Dip Law
- Benefactor’s Scholar of the Middle Temple
- Mediator (ADR Group)