Since joining Chambers in 2014, Alexander has developed a busy specialist practice at the planning, environment and local government bar.
Recent cases in which he has been involved in include:
- Acting for the waste planning authority in an appeal against the refusal of planning permission for a strategic waste complex in the Buckinghamshire green belt.
- Acting for the local planning authority in linked enforcement and s. 78 appeals relating to the use of two large industrial buildings as live/work units.
- Acting for a local planning authority in a series of speculative, edge of settlement housing appeals in South Gloucestershire.
- Acting (as junior to Suzanne Ornsby QC) for the local planning authority in a significant appeal against its refusal of planning permission for a large urban extension. In addition to heritage, landscape, prematurity, and sustainability, the appeal raised some interesting points on the interpretation of the new NPPF and the application of the tilted balance in circumstances where the LPA could demonstrate a 5 year supply under local housing need.
- Advising (as junior to Hereward Phillpot QC) the Oxfordshire authorities on their preparation of a joint spatial plan for the county.
- Advising (as junior to James Pereira QC) the Conservators of Epping Forest on their objection to the HRA of the emerging Epping Forest Local Plan.
- Acting (as junior to Gregory Jones QC) for a Rule 6 Party objecting to the development of a Materials Recovery Facility in Wiltshire, in a case involving complex issues relating to the lawful fallback position, air quality impacts and the adequacy of the environmental statement. Following the appeal, they successfully quashed the planning permission in Wiltshire Waste Alliance v SSCLG  Env LR 33.
Alexander welcomes instructions to act individually or as part of a team across all of Chambers’ areas of practice.