John McNamara > Chambers of David Josse KC > London, England > Lawyer Profile
5 St Andrews Hill Offices
5 St Andrews Hill
- Go to...
John specialises in defending individuals facing serious criminal allegations.
He undertakes cases in crime, business crime, proceeds of crime matters and related civil proceedings.
John is in ranked in the Legal 500 for Crime and POCA.
John specialises in defending individuals facing serious criminal allegations. He undertakes cases in crime, business crime, proceeds of crime matters and related civil proceedings.
He is ranked in the Legal 500 2022 for Crime and POCA:
” John is highly intelligent, and his attention to detail is bettered only by his bedside manner with clients, who appreciate his calm and succinct style. “
“John understands and grasps the POCA regime in a way that very few do.”
John is ranked in the Legal 500 2022 for Proceeds of Crime and Asset Forfeiture. He is experienced in defending and prosecuting a range of proceedings arising from the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 including restraint and confiscation, cash forfeiture, and account freezing and forfeiture hearings.
John is currently seconded to the FCA Enforcement and Market Oversight Division specifically to assist and advise on applications for Crypto-asset firms to be registered pursuant to the 5MLD.
Instructing solicitors have observed that John goes the extra mile in cases involving young and vulnerable people. He places great importance on caring for the lay client throughout their case whether they are a business professional or a vulnerable person.
- John holds Developed Vetting (“DV”) Security Clearance.
- John accepts instructions under the direct access scheme. This allows members of the public to instruct John directly to advise them on or represent them in suitable cases.
- John was called to the Bar in 2014.
- SFO Proceeds of Crime and International Assistance – C Panel (2020 – 2024)
- CPS Specialist Proceeds of Crime Panel – Level 2 (2020).
- CPS Specialist Fraud Panel – Level 2 (2020).
- CPS General Crime Panel – Level 2 (2018).
Prior to joining chambers, John worked as a paralegal for two years at Hickman & Rose Solicitors. During that time John assisted Jenny Wiltshire in various cases concerning manslaughter, gross negligence manslaughter and historical sexual allegations.
- Secretary of the Criminal Bar Association (2020-22)
- Criminal Bar Association (Exec Committee 2018-20)
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association.
- London Irish Lawyers Association.
- BBP Law School, BPTC; Very Competent
- BBP Law School, GDL; Commendation
- University of Warwick, BA (Hons.) History; 2.1
- Ann Felicity Goddard Scholarship, Gray’s Inn (2017)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading Juniors)Ranked: Tier 3 (Leading Juniors)Ranked: Tier 2
John McNamara –5 St Andrews Hill ‘He has an in-depth knowledge of the statutory provisions and the relevant case law, and is able to apply to that to the factual circumstances of his own cases. He is calm under pressure and extremely good with both clients and judges alike.‘