James Hannant > Chambers of Anna Vigars KC > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Guildhall Chambers Offices
23 BROAD STREET
- Go to...
James has been a member of Chambers since 2014. He has a broad commercial practice with a particular emphasis on disputes arising out of corporate insolvency and personal bankruptcy and is a member of Chambers’ insolvency and commercial teams. James appears in both the High Court and the County Court at court centres up and down the country. Before becoming a barrister, James had a previous career in the oil industry.
James is frequently instructed in a wide variety of insolvency related matters and has a particular interest in the area having studied the subject at postgraduate level. He has been instructed in relation to the following:
- Transaction avoidance claims under ss. 238 and 239 of the Insolvency Act 1986
- Misfeasance applications under s. 212 of the Insolvency Act 1986
- Winding up and bankruptcy petitions
- Going behind judgments in insolvency proceedings
- Contested possession and sale applications and in particular, those which raise issues of common intention constructive trusts and resulting trusts as well as the equity of exoneration
- Annulment Applications
- Financial remuneration of trustees in bankruptcy
- Applications under the information gathering provisions of the Insolvency Act 1986
- Acting on behalf of liquidators in claims by insolvent companies
- Applications to set aside statutory demands
- Applications relating to the Administration of Insolvent Estates of Deceased Persons Order 1986
James has acted for office holders, debtors/bankrupts, companies and company directors and frequently speaks at seminars and other events including those run by R3 and HMRC.
James has been instructed to both advise and appear in proceedings relating to a variety of commercial matters. These have included:
- Contractual disputes.
- Disputes arising out of the sale of goods and the supply of services.
- Banking and finance matters.
- Conversion and the wrongful interference with goods.
- Economic torts including conspiracy and causing loss by unlawful means.
- Pre-incorporation contracts.
James has acted for companies, private individuals and banks. He has appeared in a wide variety of procedural applications as well as trials in all three tracks in the County Court and also the High Court.
- BCL, University of Oxford
- LLB Hons, University of Exeter (first class)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading Juniors)Ranked: Tier 2 (Leading Juniors)Ranked: Tier 2
James Hannant – Guildhall Chambers ‘James is extremely smart and very straightforward in his advice. He is determined to fight a case to its fullest and willing to explore every angle in order to achieve a positive result for clients.’