Mr Paul Burns > Chambers of Bill Braithwaite QC > Liverpool, England > Lawyer Profile
Exchange Chambers Offices
ONE DERBY SQUARE
- Go to...
Mr Paul Burns
Local Government and Social Housing
Paul is Head of the Local Government & Social Housing Department at Exchange Chambers. He is independently acclaimed as a leader in the fields of local government law, social housing law and property law (source: Legal 500 & Chambers UK). Paul advises and represents clients across England and Wales and has particular expertise in the following areas of practice:
- Property law, housing law and housing management (including its interface with human rights law)
- Community safety & anti-social behaviour (including injunctions, possession actions and closure orders)
- Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Equality Act 2010 issues
- Judicial review and public law challenges
- Disciplinary and regulatory matters in the local government, social housing, police and medical sectors
- Governance (including drafting and advice on policies and procedures and managing litigation and regulatory risk at a strategic and operational level)
- Personal injury (especially physical and psychological injuries resulting from poor housing conditions)
Paul provides continuing professional development training for local authorities, private registered providers and the police.
Called to the Bar (1998 – Lincoln’s Inn).
Joined Exchange Chambers (1998).
Registered Pupil Supervisor (2008).
Head of the Local Government and Social Housing Department (2010).
Independent Counsel to Police Misconduct Hearings (2010).
Junior Counsel to the Crown (2015).
Legally Qualified Chair of Police Misconduct Hearings (2016).
Chair of The LMH Group (2017).
Legally Qualified Chair and Legal Assessor to the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (2017).
Named one of the top 10 UK ‘Future Stars of the Bar’ by The Times and Barrister of the Year at the Liverpool Law Society Legal Awards.
- Northern Administrative Law Association
- Northern Circuit
- LLB (Hons) 1997 : University of Liverpool
- Hardwicke Scholar – The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn (1997)
- Sir Thomas More Scholar – The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn (1997)
- Bar Vocational Course, Inns of Court School of Law (1998) PGDipLaw (London: 1998)
- Exchange Chambers (1998-date)
- Head of Local Government & Social Housing Department: Exchange Chambers (2010-date)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading Juniors) Ranked: Tier 1
Paul Burns – Exchange Chambers ‘Extremely well-prepared and thorough. Clear, logical and intelligent. A helpful and persuasive advocate with an excellent knowledge of law and procedure. A daunting but sensible and friendly opponent. Unfailingly polite, even in cross examination.’(Leading Juniors) Ranked: Tier 1
Exchange Chambers has a sizeable local government and social housing department that has in-depth sector knowledge. Paul Burns heads the department and has an ‘encyclopaedic knowledge of social housing law‘. Brynmor Adams is another key name to note and has a strong record in acting for local authorities in housing fraud cases.