Mr J. William Rowley KC > Twenty Essex > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Twenty Essex Offices
20 ESSEX STREET
- Go to...
Mr J. William Rowley KC
Bill is a highly experienced international arbitrator.
He joined Twenty Essex in 2002. Bill’s practice at the Bar covered all aspects of international commercial law, including competition, contracts, banking, oil industry, insurance, corporate governance, and arbitration law and practice.
Bill was elected Chairman of the Canadian firm, McMillan LLP in 1996 and Chairman Emeritus and Special Counsel on his retirement from the partnership in 2009. He relinquished these roles in 2014. While at McMillan, Bill headed the firm’s competition law group from its inception and oversaw the development of its arbitral practice.
He has chaired or participated as a tribunal member or counsel in over 200 international arbitrations. These have involved a variety of national laws and investment treaty systems including those of ICSID, NAFTA and ECT.
Recent arbitrations have included disputes involving offshore oilfield production sharing agreements, long term liquefied natural gas supply contracts, hydroelectric concessions, timber industry licenses/investments, gas concession contract disputes, petroleum industry joint ventures, wind turbine farms, international trademark licensing, Bermuda Form insurance/re-insurance claims, gas pricing/repricing formulae, international telecom licensing, telecom joint ventures, AMIs/PSCs and long term supply contracts, power supply projects, defence industry contracts, water and sewage services investment, gasoline additives investment, telecom investment, oil and gas supply contracts and steel industry investment.
He was a member of the LCIA court for two terms, serving as chairman of the Board of Directors, until 2017.
Silk: 1983; Call: 1970 (Ontario); 1984 (Alberta)
- American Arbitration Association (ICDR)
- Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration
- German Institute of Arbitration
- Indian Council of Arbitration
- ICC in Canada
- Korean Commercial Arbitration Board
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration
- Vienna International Arbitral Centre
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation Report, Washington DC: former member of editorial advisory board (1980–2008)
- Competition Policy Record, Toronto: member of editorial board
- Global Forum on Competition and Trade Policy, London and Washington DC: co-founder and co-chairman
- International Bar Association (IBA), Antitrust Committee: Chair (1991–1994)
- IBA: Councillor Emeritus (2004–)
- IBA, Global Competition Forum: Co-chair
- IBA: Life Member (2005–)
- IBA, Section on Business Law: Chairman, Vice-chair, Treasurer (1995–2001)
- LCIA Board: Chairman (2012–2017), member of the board (2007–2017)
- LCIA India: member of the board of Directors (2009–)
- NAFTA, Advisory Committee on Private Commercial Disputes: former member
- University of Ottawa: LLD, Magna Cum Laude, Gold Medalist (1968)
- Carleton University: undergraduate studies (1965)