Judith Gill KC > Twenty Essex > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Twenty Essex Offices
20 ESSEX STREET
- Go to...
Judith Gill KC
- Arbitration and mediation
- Commercial law
- Energy and natural resources
- Insurance and reinsurance
- Public international law
Judith is recognised as one of the leading practitioners in the field of international arbitration.
She has conducted cases under numerous sets of rules and subject to many different systems of law. In particular she has experience of arbitrations under the rules of, amongst others, the LCIA, ICC, SIAC, ICSID (including Additional Facility Rules), HKIAC, DIAC, AAA and UNCITRAL. Seats have included Singapore, Hong Kong, Paris, London, New York, Washington, Dubai, Geneva, and Seoul. Judith is regularly selected by institutions, including the ICC and SIAC, for appointments as arbitrator.
Judith joined Chambers as an arbitrator member, having previously been a partner in the international arbitration group of the global law firm Allen & Overy for nearly 25 years, where she was head of the group for 11 years. She regularly acted as lead advocate and strategic adviser to clients involved in substantial international arbitration cases in both the commercial and investment treaty fields.
She has extensive experience as an arbitrator, both sole and as a member of a panel of three arbitrators. Judith has acted as arbitrator in matters involving joint venture agreements, corporate sale and purchase agreements, construction and infrastructure disputes, energy contracts, manufacturing, distributorship agreements, technology agreements and a variety of other commercial agreements. She also sits as arbitrator on investment treaty disputes.
Judith is Immediate Past President of the LCIA, the first woman to be appointed to the position. She was only the second female solicitor-advocate to be appointed QC and the first with an international arbitration practice.
Year of call: 1985 (Solicitor)
- AAA Board of Directors: Former Member
- Arbitration Committee of the International Bar Association Legal Practice Division: Former Co-Chair
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law: Former Trustee
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators: Fellow
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies: Fellow
- International Arbitration Club: Former Chair
- International Bar Association Arbitration Committee Advisory Board
- ICC UK Arbitration Group: Former Member
- LCIA: President
- Seoul International Dispute Resolution Center International Advisory Board
- SIAC Board of Directors: former member
- University of London: Diploma in Arbitration (1990)
- University of Oxford: MA in Jurisprudence (1986)
- University of Oxford, Worcester College: BA in Jurisprudence (1983)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading arbitrators)Ranked: Tier 1
20 Essex Street has ‘great strength in depth in the number of arbitrators specialising in commercial disputes, but also public international law and investment treaty arbitration‘. This extends to core areas such as commodities and shipping arbitrations where many of the firm’s leading barristers have particularly strong backgrounds. The bench is packed with an impressive array of full time and part time arbitrators, including esteemed former judges such as Sir Bernard Rix, and former solicitors and arbitration specialists, including Judith Gill KC, David Sutton and Julian Lew KC. The set also has several well regarded practicing counsel, with Duncan Matthews KC a name of note.