Paolo Busco > Twenty Essex > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Twenty Essex Offices
20 ESSEX STREET
- Go to...
- Arbitration and mediation
- Public international law
Paolo specialises in international dispute settlement, public international law and EU law.
His practice covers the full spectrum of EU and international law, with a focus on law of the sea, public international law before domestic courts, human rights and immunities. Paolo also has significant experience in inter-State negotiations and mediations, which he developed in various advisory capacities in the context of complex political disputes.
In addition to advisory work, he has been involved in matters before the International Court of Justice, the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, the Court of Justice of the European Union, ICSID investment tribunals, Annex VII to UNCLOS arbitral tribunals, and several domestic courts.
Before joining Chambers, Paolo practiced international law in several capacities. For instance, as a senior legal consultant to FAO in Riyadh, he advised the Saudi government on law of the sea and international fisheries law. As an assistant legal counsel at the Permanent Court of Arbitration, Paolo developed a specific expertise in the procedure of investment and inter-State arbitral Tribunals. Paolo trained as a lawyer as a pupil to Italy’s Deputy Attorney General.
Italian (fluent); Spanish (fluent); French (proficient)
- American Society of International Law
- European Society of International Law
- Roster of Experts of the General Legal Affairs Service (LEGA) of the Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN
- The Aspen Institute: Junior Fellow
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
- University of Paris I Pantheon Sorbonne: PhD in international and comparative law (2018)
- University of Cambridge: LLM in international law (2011)
- Luiss University of Rome: LLB with specialisation in international and EU law (2010)