Paolo Busco > Twenty Essex > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Twenty Essex Offices
20 ESSEX STREET
- Go to...
- Arbitration and mediation
- Public international law
Paolo has accepted an appointment overseas acting as an advisor on international law. Any enquiries in relation to his availability should be directed to his Practice Management Team.
Paolo specialises in public international law and international dispute settlement.
His practice covers a wide range of matters, with a focus on investment law, law of the sea, public international law before domestic courts and human rights. Paolo also has experience in inter-state negotiations and mediations.
Before joining Chambers, Paolo practiced international law in several capacities. As a senior legal consultant to the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations in Riyadh, he advised the Saudi government on law of the sea and international fisheries law. As an advisor to the Italian Ministry of Home Affairs, he assisted the Government with the public international law aspects of the migration flows in the Mediterranean. As an assistant legal counsel at the PCA, he worked alongside arbitral tribunals in disputes concerning the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea and in investor-state arbitrations. While a trainee lawyer, Paolo worked for two years with Italy’s deputy Attorney General.
In addition to advisory work, Paolo is currently involved in matters pending before ICSID investment tribunals, Annex VII arbitral tribunals, the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, the Court of Justice of the European Union and several domestic courts.
Italian (fluent); Spanish (fluent); French (proficient)
- American Society of International Law
- European Society of International Law
- Expert with the General Legal Affairs Service (LEGA) of the Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN (2017–present)
- The Aspen Institute: Junior Fellow
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
- University of Cambridge: LLM in international law (2011)
- Luiss University of Rome: LLB with specialisation in international and EU law (2010)