J. William Rowley QC > Twenty Essex > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Twenty Essex Offices
20 ESSEX STREET
- Go to...
J. William Rowley QC
- Energy (hydroelectric, oil, gas and liquefied natural gas)
- General commercial law
- Infrastructure project disputes
- Investment disputes
- Public international law
Bill is a highly experienced international arbitrator.
He joined Twenty Essex in 2002. Bill’s practice at the Bar covered all aspects of international commercial law, including competition, contracts, banking, oil industry, insurance, corporate governance, and arbitration law and practice.
Bill was elected Chairman of the Canadian firm, McMillan LLP in 1996 and Chairman Emeritus and Special Counsel on his retirement from the partnership in 2009. He relinquished these roles in 2014. While at McMillan, Bill headed the firm’s competition law group from its inception and oversaw the development of its arbitral practice.
He has chaired or participated as a tribunal member or counsel in over 200 international arbitrations. These have involved a variety of national laws and investment treaty systems including those of ICSID, NAFTA and ECT.
Recent arbitrations have included disputes involving offshore oilfield production sharing agreements, long term liquefied natural gas supply contracts, hydroelectric concessions, timber industry licenses/investments, gas concession contract disputes, petroleum industry joint ventures, wind turbine farms, international trademark licensing, Bermuda Form insurance/re-insurance claims, gas pricing/repricing formulae, international telecom licensing, telecom joint ventures, AMIs/PSCs and long term supply contracts, power supply projects, defence industry contracts, water and sewage services investment, gasoline additives investment, telecom investment, oil and gas supply contracts and steel industry investment.
He was a member of the LCIA court for two terms, serving as chairman of the Board of Directors, until 2017.
Called to the Bar of Ontario 1970 and subsequently in other jurisdictions; QC 1983; elected chairman of leading Canadian law firm, McMillian LLP 1996, chairman emeritus and special counsel 2009-2014; joined 20 Essex Street Chambers 2002 to date.
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation Report, Washington DC: former member of editorial advisory board (1980–2008)
- Competition Policy Record, Toronto: member of editorial board
- Global Forum on Competition and Trade Policy, London and Washington DC: co-founder and co-chairman
- International Bar Association (IBA), Antitrust Committee: Chair (1991–1994)
- IBA: Councillor Emeritus (2004–)
- IBA, Global Competition Forum: Co-chair
- IBA: Life Member (2005–)
- IBA, Section on Business Law: Chairman, Vice-chair, Treasurer (1995–2001)
- LCIA Board: Chairman (2012–2017), member of the board (2007–2017)
- LCIA India: member of the board of Directors (2009–)
- NAFTA, Advisory Committee on Private Commercial Disputes: former member
- University of Ottawa: LLD, Magna Cum Laude (1968)
- Carleton University: undergraduate studies (1965)