Gordon Nardell QC > Twenty Essex > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Twenty Essex Offices
20 ESSEX STREET
- Go to...
Gordon Nardell QC
- Commercial litigation and arbitration
- Energy, natural resources and environment
- EU and competition law
- Maritime, rail and aviation
- Public international law, investment treaties and human rights
- Regulation, public law and parliamentary
Gordon specialises in international litigation and arbitration. He has a particular focus on claims by and against state bodies, especially in the areas of energy, infrastructure and natural resources. Gordon is also known for his work in other sectors including regulated markets such as transport, public/private partnerships and financial services.
He has extensive experience of EU and public international law. Gordon’s cases often involve regulatory issues and international trade and investment disputes. Since the UK’s 2016 EU referendum he has advised extensively on Brexit issues affecting business and government. He has served on bodies including the ICC’s Brexit Advisory Group and the Mutual Market Access Working Group sponsored by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
Gordon accepts arbitral appointments, ad hoc and under the rules of the main institutions. He is also a Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) accredited mediator.
He began his professional career as a commercial litigation solicitor. In the 1990s he practised public international law at the Council of Europe and served as UK Parliamentary Counsel before moving to the Bar.
Year of call: 1995
Year of QC: 2010
French (fluent); German (conversational); Italian (conversational)
- Asia International Arbitration Centre: Member of the panel of arbitrators
- Astana International Financial Centre International Arbitration Centre: Inaugural member of the panel of arbitrators
- Attorney-General’s A and B Panels of Civil Advocates (2003–2010)
- Bar Council EU Law Committee: Chair (2015–16)
- CIArb: Fellow
- Commercial Bar Association
- Constitutional and Administrative Law Bar Association
- European Circuit of the Bar: Circuit Leader (2012–2014)
- International Bar Association (Arbitration and Power Law Committees)
- International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- Shanghai International Arbitration Centre (SHIAC): Member of the panel of arbitrators
- Society of Construction Law
- UK Environmental Law Association
- UK Human Rights Lawyers Association
- UK State Aid Lawyers Association
- Leeds University: LLB, First Class (1984)