Simon Milnes KC > Twenty Essex > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Twenty Essex Offices
20 ESSEX STREET
- Go to...
Simon Milnes KC
- Arbitration and mediation
- Banking and finance
- Civil fraud and asset tracing
- Commercial law
- Energy and natural resources
- Insurance and reinsurance
- Public international law
Simon specialises in international dispute resolution, especially in the fields of energy law, commodities, infrastructure and projects, ship and rig building, and insurance/reinsurance.
He speaks Chinese (Mandarin) and is regularly instructed by Asian clients, in particular from China, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Indonesia. He acts as sole or lead counsel in arbitrations under the SIAC, ICC, HKIAC and LCIA rules. Having been based full time in Singapore from 2010 to 2016, Simon continues to spend a substantial part of his time in Asia.
Simon’s recent cases include arbitrations arising from cancellation of the contract for the world’s largest drillship, an oil rig construction dispute, a joint venture for construction of a mine and power plant, international sales of oil, coal, iron ore, steel, cement, chemicals, metals, and soft commodities. Simon has also been instructed in English court litigation on jurisdictional issues, anti-suit injunctions, enforcement and challenge of arbitral awards and foreign judgments, and public international law.
In the public international law field, he has represented clients in an arbitration and related litigation against a sovereign state, and advised on cases concerning international investment law, the law of the sea, human rights, climate change liability and international environmental law.
Simon also sits as arbitrator.
Called 2005. Previously a policy adviser in UK civil service and speechwriter for HM Treasury ministers. Publications: Co-author of MacGillivray on Insurance Law (12th Edition, 2012) and supplements thereto.
Working knowledge of Mandarin Chinese (able to read and edit/compose documents). Basic German and Bahasa Indonesia.
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law, steering group member for international environmental law
- National University of Singapore: Adjunct Fellow
- SIAC: member of reserve panel of arbitrators
- Georgetown University: Masters
- City University, London: Postgraduate Diploma in Law
- London School of Economics: MSc in International Relations, Distinction
- University of Oxford, Lincoln College: BA in History, First Class
Lawyer Rankings(Leading Juniors)Ranked: Tier 1
‘A great strategist, a genius in getting the best out of his clients and instructing solicitors in building a case.’(2022 Silks)Ranked: Tier 1 (2022 Silks)Ranked: Tier 1