Thomas Leary > Twenty Essex > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Twenty Essex Offices
20 ESSEX STREET
- Go to...
- Banking and financial services
- Civil fraud and asset tracing
- Commodities and international trade
- Company law
- Energy and infrastructure
- Insolvency and restructuring
- Jurisdiction, conflicts and enforcement
- Public and administrative law
- Public international law
- Technology, media and telecoms
Tom has a broad practice in commercial litigation, arbitration and public law. He is frequently instructed to act in complex and significant international disputes (including shipping, commodities, joint venture, partnership, construction, banking and finance, insolvency, information technology and insurance cases). He was appointed to the Welsh Government B Panel of Junior Counsel (Public Law) in 2017 and to the Attorney General’s C Panel of Civil Counsel from March 2019.
He regularly appears in the Business and Property Courts, Administrative Court, First-Tier Tribunal and international arbitrations (including those conducted under LCIA, ICC, LMAA, UNCITRAL, SCC, SIAC, AIAC and DIFC-LCIA Rules, as well as ad hoc).
Tom’s cases often involve a foreign applicable law (including the laws of China, Singapore, Malaysia, Russia, Norway, the UAE and Venezuela), jurisdictional issues and global clients.
He previously worked as the Judicial Assistant to Lord Mance in the UK Supreme Court, and as the editor of the official law reports for various offshore jurisdictions.
Year of call: 2012
- Advocates for International Development
- Bar Human Rights Committee
- Bar Pro Bono Unit
- Commercial Bar Association
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association
- Environmental Law Foundation
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- LCIAYoung International Arbitration Group
- London Shipping Law Centre
- The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association
- Young SIAC
- Kaplan Law School: Bar Professional Training Course (2012)
- University of Toronto: LLM (2011)
- University of Oxford, Christ Church, Oxford: BA (Hons) in Law with Law Studies in Europe (2010)