Ian Winter > Cloth Fair Chambers > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Cloth Fair Chambers Offices
Cloth Fair Chambers
39-40 CLOTH FAIR
- Go to...
Ian Winter QC is firmly established as one of the leading silks at the Bar. A focused, highly sought-after criminal specialist with a particular emphasis on fraud and financial crime. He is regularly instructed to advise and represent companies as well as individuals involved in cases brought by the Serious Fraud Office and Financial Conduct Authority who require complex strategic advice from the outset.
Ian also represents clients on matters of professional discipline, appearing at hearings in front of a variety of regulatory bodies.
He has appeared in the commercial court and attracts market attention in the libel and defamation arena.
Ian regularly appears in cases in Honk Kong, Singapore, Gibralter and the isle of Man
Ian is currently representing John Scouler, the former commercial director of Tesco, charged with fraud and false accounting by the SFO.
Ian is defending Tom Kalaris, a former executive of Barclays, charged by the SFO following its investigation into the 2008 recapitalisation of the bank
Ian is advising suspects in relation to the SFO investigations into Rolls Royce, ENRC, Unaoil and Airbus.
Ian is representing May Hao before the Court of Final Appeal in Hong Kong.
Ian acts for a Singapore doctor now appearing before the General Medical Council, having previously acted for her in regulatory proceedings in Singapore and before the America College of Surgeons.
Ian recently represented Thomas Chan in Hong Kong in the city’s biggest corruption trial involving the former Chief Secretary of the Special Administrative Region. He represented stock broker Ben Anderson charged by the FCA with insider dealing offences arising from Operation Tabernula, the largest ever investigation into share trading abuses by the city regulator. Following a four-month trial Ian secured an acquittal for Mr Anderson.
Other notable instructions in recent years include:
- J: Advised musician on issues of blackmail in connection to proceedings at the Employment Tribunal
- P: Strategic advice on potential criminal proceedings arising out of a case in the Companies Court
- R v Dr Khan – Acquittal secured for doctor charged with sexual assault
- Christian Laguea – acquittal secured after trial in Gibraltar re murder charges
- R v G: Represented client charged with money laundering in connection to investigation surrounding a former Governor of the Delta State
- R v Dougall – leading authority on sentencing Executive-level whistleblowers entering plea agreements in corruption cases (for Mr. Dougall)
Called to the Bar – 1988
QC – 2006