Michael Derrick > DMH Stallard LLP > Guildford, England > Lawyer Profile
DMH Stallard LLP Offices
1ST FLOOR, WONERSH HOUSE
THE GUILDWAY, OLD PORTSMOUTH ROAD
- Go to...
Michael is a Partner and Head of the Guildford private client department.
Michael’s practice focuses on estate administration, wills, trust administration and Court of Protection work.
With over 15 years’ experience Michael ensures that his clients, both new and returning, are given the best possible advice and service.
Michael’s approach to each client, particularly those who are dealing with stressful and sensitive matters, is to deliver advice in a way that calms their initial worries while ensuring that such advice achieves the client’s objectives.
Michael’s particular expertise is in the administration of both simple and complex estates, and of high value and intestate estates.
He also advises on and drafts wills (mirror wills, life interest wills and discretionary trust wills), inheritance tax planning, trust administration, powers of attorney (general, lasting and trustee), receivership applications and other Court of Protection applications.
- Administration of high value intestate estate after the sudden and unexpected death of testator involving employment benefits and assets in the Middle East
- Advising on new wills, IHT planning and asset protection in anticipation of second marriage including the use of a series of trusts
- Successfully claimed the transfer of Inheritance Tax Allowance from an estate where the late husband of the deceased died in 1946
- Administered a high value estate with national Charities as Residuary Beneficiaries so as to include dealing with the requirements of s119 of the Charities Act
- Advised clients on the formal requirements of the law applicable under the HCCH convention on the conflicts of laws relating to the form of testamentary dispositions 1961 (Hague Testamentary Dispositions Convention)
- The Law Society
- Affiliated member of STEP, with an advanced certificate in the administration of estates
Michael qualified as a solicitor in 2004.
DMH Stallard LLP’s private client team is known for its ‘friendly approach and prompt attention and action’. The Brighton and Horsham teams, both headed up by the ‘extremely professional, helpful, informative and supportive’ Lorna Fairbairn, focus on trust services and estate planning work respectively. The Guildford team is led by Michael Derrick and specialises in estate administration. With the collaboration between the teams, the private client department is well-positioned to provide a full service to clients.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Real estate > Environment and planning
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- Real estate > Commercial property: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Private client > Family: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery