James Colvin > DMH Stallard LLP > Crawley, England > Lawyer Profile
DMH Stallard LLP Offices
135 High Street
- Go to...
James is an experienced commercial litigation Partner.
James has a wide-ranging practice covering commercial, corporate, contract and negligence disputes, as well as banking litigation. James advises in all areas of dispute resolution including High Court litigation, arbitration and ADR, with a particular focus on mediation. James aims to use the most appropriate forum to achieve the best commercial outcome for his clients.
James’ practice focuses predominantly on commercial and banking disputes often involving issues of negligence, misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, enforcement of guarantees and contractual disputes.
James also deals with claims involving the sale of goods including retention of title issues, warranty claims, factoring and invoice discounting, professional negligence, commercial and corporate fraud particularly following an insolvency event, including misappropriation and concealment of assets and debt recovery.
- Advising a company in respect of a claim regarding car parking rights and specific performance of building obligations near Heathrow Airport in the reported case of Airport Industrial GP Ltd v Heathrow Airport Ltd and AP16 Ltd  EWHC 3753 (Ch)
- Advising a leading high street bank in respect of a claim of c.£5 million involving allegations of breach of contract, negligence, misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duties
- Advising a leading high street bank in respect of a claim against it for up to £4 million involving issues of fraud, conspiracy to defraud, deceit, misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty and negligence
- Advising a leading high street bank in respect of several professional negligence claims against professional advisers arising out of mortgage lending
- Advising an insolvency practitioner in respect of various misfeasance actions against the directors of a group of companies involving sums of c.£4 million
- Acting for a company pursuing a professional negligence claim against environmental consultants valued at c.£1.5 million
DMH Stallard LLP offers a comprehensive service across all aspects of corporate and insolvency issues. The team advises directors, individuals, investors, lenders and security holders on both contentious and transactional matters. The firm holds a number of panel positions for banks and finance providers including high street and business banks. Practice head Oliver Jackson has a particular focus on contentious insolvency encompassing wrongful trading, antecedent transactions and the recovery of dividends and directors’ loans. James Colvin is an experienced insolvency litigator while Keith Pearlman handles unlawful dividends and directors loans.
DMH Stallard LLP’s Gatwick dispute resolution team is active across many sectors, with a particularly strong reputation in banking and finance litigation. Team leader Simon Elcock is a ‘clear and robust litigator’, with strong expertise in the banking and educational sectors. James Colvin has particular expertise in financial and professional services. Clive Lee has over 30 years’ experience of dealing with commercial dispute resolution matters and acts for household name clients. Jonathan Compton , qualified both as a barrister and a solicitor, advises private individuals and commercial organisations of all sizes. Tim Ashdown has almost 30 years’ experience of managing commercial, intellectual property and technology disputes.
- Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex - South East > Dispute resolution
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - South East > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Real estate > Environment and planning
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- Real estate > Commercial property: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Private client > Family: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery