Simon Elcock > DMH Stallard LLP > Crawley, England > Lawyer Profile
DMH Stallard LLP Offices
135 High Street
- Go to...
Simon is a Partner and the Head of Dispute Resolution, which also includes the firm’s Debt Recovery, Insolvency and Personal Injury practices.
Simon has an established practice and significant following and he is known for dealing with large scale, complex corporate and commercial disputes with particular expertise in the insurance and banking sectors.
He regularly advises on matters involving breach of contract and breach of duty, professional negligence, director, shareholder and partnership disputes, defamation, commercial and corporate fraud and judicial review.
Recognised as one of the foremost litigation lawyers in the South of England, Simon is recommended in Chambers & Partners with sources praising his “pragmatism and flexibility,” and the “sensible and commercial approach” he takes. He is also praised in Legal 500 2022: “‘Simon Elcock is very calm under pressure, confident and authoritative in his advice. Clients respect him and his initial judgement on a case is rarely wrong.”
His private sector clients include a number of the UK’s leading banks, such as The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc, as well as other significant companies including Real Estate Advisory & Property Management UK Ltd (formerly Strutt & Parker LLP), and BDO LLP. His public sector clients include a number of universities and unitary authorities.
Simon is an Accredited Mediator with the Centre for Dispute Resolution (CEDR) and is experienced in and an advocate of all recognised forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution (“ADR”)
- Acting for a retired TUI Airlines pilot in a judicial review brought against the Civil Aviation Authority regarding his forced retirement on grounds of age. The case was widely reported in the media.
- Acting for a major international bank in a dispute with a high profile individual in the arts world in relation to an alleged fraud worth up to £85 million.
- Defending claims brought against well known educational establishments and public sector bodies involving issues around alleged breach of duty, discrimination and defamation.
- Acting both for and against insurance companies in a wide range of claims, often in relation to the enforcement of policy terms
- Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution – Accredited Mediator
Simon qualified as a solicitor in 1997, having trained with the firm after spending the initial part of his career in the hospitality industry, and became a Partner in July 2001.
In addition to standard commercial debt recovery work, the team at DMH Stallard LLP also assists with leasehold recovery mandates; this work was handled by a formerly separate team which has now been integrated into the debt recovery team. Simon Elcock leads the department alongside Oliver Jackson, who joined the firm in January 2022. The group receives mandates from domestic and international clients in a range of sectors; examples include Natwest Group, BDO, MSR Partners and the state bank of Luxembourg. Kelly Mills departed to Coole Bevis LLP in January 2022.
DMH Stallard LLP’s Gatwick dispute resolution team is active across many sectors, with a particularly strong reputation in banking and finance litigation. Team leader Simon Elcock is a ‘clear and robust litigator’, with strong expertise in the banking and educational sectors. James Colvin has particular expertise in financial and professional services. Clive Lee has over 30 years’ experience of dealing with commercial dispute resolution matters and acts for household name clients. Jonathan Compton , qualified both as a barrister and a solicitor, advises private individuals and commercial organisations of all sizes. Tim Ashdown has almost 30 years’ experience of managing commercial, intellectual property and technology disputes.
- Debt recovery - South East > Dispute resolution
- Leading individuals - South East > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex - South East > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Real estate > Environment and planning
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- Real estate > Commercial property: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Private client > Family: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery