Ms Tahina Akther > Chambers of Anthony Hand > Southampton, England > Lawyer Profile
College Chambers Offices
19 CARLTON CRESCENT
- Go to...
Ms Tahina Akther
Tahina has a dual practice in both Chancery (Traditional & Commercial) and Family Finance law. Her ability is reflected by being recognised in the Legal 500. Tahina is Head of the Family Finance Team in addition to being a Contentious Trust and Probate specialist- a member of ACTAPS and the Chancery Bar Association. With over 15 years experience, described as “one to watch”, “excellent” with “superb client-handling skills”.
Tahina is a robust advocate with a strong court presence. She combines specialist knowledge with expertise in the court room. Whatever the case, she is single-mindedly focused on a successful outcome and the promotion of her client’s best interests.
Tahina, as Head of the team is a Family Finance specialist with over 15 years practice experience including in the Court of Appeal. She completed a specialist Masters Degree in 2006 on the treatment of Pensions in Divorce. Her dissertation won an award from the Association of Women Graduates due to promoting the understanding of an under examined area of law. She is regularly asked to provide training seminars to other lawyers on this area of law due to her expertise in this field.
Tahina has an extensive practice in cases involving complex issues such as valuation of private companies, final salary pensions, allegations of sham trusts, accessing assets abroad and those held in complex financial structures. She is known for her ability to “make the complex seem simple” for her clients.
Tahina’s knowledge of business law and chancery practice means she is well versed in matters that cross over both practice areas.
Tahina is experienced in representing and advising people in the public eye including professional sportspeople and High/Ultra High Net Worth clients. This includes dealing with cases crossing international jurisdictions such as enforcement proceedings.
Chancery & Commercial
Tahina is recognised in the Legal 500 under the category of Commercial, Banking, Insolvency and Chancery law. She has over 15 years’ experience, being recognised as a specialist in the law of Wills, Probate and Administration of Estates and has been admitted to Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS). In addition, Tahina is a member of the prestigious Chancery Bar Association for Chancery law.
She provides written advice on and regularly appears in the High Court in London in the Chancery division and regionally regarding matters including:
- Insolvency including personal bankruptcy and corporate insolvency.
- Commercial disputes, including claims for debt, contractual disputes, with a focus on small to medium businesses.
- Company law matters such as shareholder disputes, claims for unfair prejudice.
- Co-ownership of property disputes, including applications under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of - - Trustees Act 1996 based on constructive and/or resulting trust and proprietary estoppel.
- Property disputes, including real property, boundary disputes, easements and restrictive covenants. She has conducted boundary disputes from rural properties in Devon to the city settings of Manchester.
- Professional negligence, in particular interest in solicitors’ negligence, surveyors and financial advisors.
- Probate, Wills and Trusts including the construction of Wills. Administration of estate matters, Inheritance tax matters and claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
- Construction disputes- including those in the Technology and Construction Court.
Tahina is a trained mediator and can provide a bespoke service tailored to the dispute.
Tahina is trained and Bar Standards Board Approved for undertaking cases on a direct access basis.
Head of Family Finance
Chancery Bar Association
Professional Negligence Bar Association
Family Law Bar Association
ACTAPS (The Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists)
Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners ( Associate member)
(2008) Recipient of the Mary Freeman award from the Association of Women Graduates
(2006) Qualified Mediator accredited with the Civil Mediation Council
Professional Certificates in Business Law and Practice, Administration of Trusts – The University of Cambridge
Postgraduate Diploma in Law, LLM
LLB (Hons) (Lond)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading Juniors)Ranked: Tier 2
Tahina Akther – College Chambers ‘Tahina is thorough in her preparations and has an exceptional ability to deal with cross-border and high-value cases. She quickly builds up a rapport with clients, enabling her to instill confidence in them and to advise on complex and difficult issues.’(Leading Juniors: Divorce and Financial Remedy)Ranked: Tier 2
Tahina Akther – College Chambers ‘Tahina is a superb barrister in all senses. She fights for her clients in an incredibly determined way. Her expertise is undeniable, and she provides practical and sensible advice.’