Richard Onslow > Chambers of David Berkley QC > Winchester, England > Lawyer Profile
4 ST PETER STREET
- Go to...
Richard Onslow began his career at the Bar in London, practising on the South Eastern and Western Circuits. He has dealt with cases before a variety of tribunals, ranging from the Magistrates’ Courts to the Privy Council, including Courts Martial and the Stewards of the Jockey Club.
As prosecution Counsel he has been briefed as a Leading Junior since 1995 in serious and often multi handed criminal cases, including conspiracies to supply drugs, and to incite criminal damage, Human Trafficking, Rape, and Kidnap.
He has defended as a Junior and since the mid 1990s as a Leading Junior, in most fields of criminal work, including homicide, violence, child cruelty, sexual offences, drug importation and supply, dishonesty, blackmail, Merchant Shipping offences, and assorted common law offences.
He also undertakes shotgun and firearms appeals, police disciplinary cases and inquests
Notable Cases – Prosecution
- R v P (2017) Prosecution of male for possession of working and loaded Sauer 9mm pistol where evidence consisted of solely finding of minute amount of defendant’s DNA on trigger
- R v I (2016) Prosecution of step father for catalogue of historic rapes and other sexual abuse of stepdaughters
- R v A (2015) Prosecution of male for possession of firearm where evidence consisted of finding of minute amount of defendant’s DNA on magazine housing within the weapon
- R v G-D (2014) Prosecution of 20 year old with appetite for 12 year old girls
- Operation Clarion (2012) Leading Junior in prosecution of substantial conspiracy to supply class A drugs
- R v S (2010) Prosecution of Gross Negligence Manslaughter of elderly woman
- Operation Anteater (2006) – Leading Junior in prosecution of wide ranging 3 handed Conspiracy to Traffic attractive girls from Brazil for Sexual Exploitation
- Operation Basking (2007) – Leading Junior in prosecution of multi handed conspiracy to steal contents (including a lot of brandy) of goods vehicles
- Operation Elm (2004) – Leading Junior in prosecution of 2 police officers for Rape and Misconduct
- Operation Roadie (2003) – Leading Junior in prosecution of 15 handed Conspiracy to Import and Supply tons of cannabis
- Operation Washington (1997) – Leading Junior prosecuting multi handed ALF and Anarchist conspiracy to incite criminal damage
- R v Guerrine and others (1995) – Prosecution of the girls who robbed Elizabeth Hurley, just after she wore That Dress.
Notable Cases – Defence
- R v R (2017) Successful defence of 80 year old grandfather accused of rapes of great grand daughter, aged 6-8
- R v F (2017) Successful defence of ‘sex addicted seaman’ accused of rape
- R v P (2015) – Successful defence of young Romanian accused with 6 others of gang rape
- R v R (2015) – Successful defence of young man with high functioning autism accused of sexual offences against drunk girls after a night out
- R v N (2014) – Successful defence of man of impeccable character accused of historical rapes of his wife
- R v S (2014) – Successful defence of 43 year old man accused of rape occurring 27 years earlier
- Op Vanguard (2014) – Defending one involved in 27 handed conspiracy to supply cocaine
- R v Ellis (2014) – Representing one of the Huyton team of ATM gas attack dismantlers
- R v Limb (2013) – Representing defendant in first UK ATM gas attack
- R v Robie (2011) – Appeal to Privy Council against conviction for Murder
- R v S (2008) – Leading Junior defending police officer accused of Misconduct
- Operation Benzol (2006) – Leading Junior defending skipper of yacht in Conspiracy to Import large quantity of cannabis into Brighton Marina
- Operation Crossbow (2008) – Leading Junior representing unfit defendant first on indictment with seven fit defendants in historical child abuse case
- Operation Elmer (2008) – Leading Junior successfully defending in multi handed Vietnamese cannabis growing conspiracy
- Operation Silver Eel (2006) – Leading Junior defending in Conspiracy to Cheat Revenue in Hydrocarbon Fuel Oil Rebate Fraud by ancient family of Poole fishermen netting a lot of money
- Operation Fabric (2004) – Leading Junior successfully defending in organised football violence conspiracy
- R v D (2001) – Defending the Tesco Bomber
- R v M (2000) – Successful Defence of skipper of Pleasure Boat charged with Merchant Shipping Act offences said to have occurred in Poole and Swanage harbours.
Shotgun and Firearms Appeals
- H v Chief Constable Hampshire Constabulary (2015)
- U v Chief Constable Devon and Cornwall Constabulary (2015)
- C v Chief Constable Hampshire Constabulary (2016)
- M v Chief Constable N Yorks Police (2016)
- M v Chief Constable Hampshire Constabulary (2017)
- P v Chief Constable Surrey Constabulary (2017)
- Hants Constabulary v PC S (2009) – Representing officer in disciplinary proceedings
- PC X v Dorset Constabulary (2014) Representing officer in disciplinary proceedings
- Dorset Constabulary v PC S (2014) – Representing police in disciplinary proceedings
- In Re: M.S. (2009) – Oxford Coroner’s Court: representing interests of Police Inspector in inquest into circumstances of death following release from custody.
Called 1982; Inner Temple..
- RASSO approved prosecutor
- Grade 4 CPS prosecutor
- Criminal Bar Association
- Western Circuit
Harrow School; Oriel Coll, Oxford (MA); City University (Dip L).
Country pursuits; MCC.