Alexander Whatley > Chambers of David Berkley QC > Bournemouth, England > Lawyer Profile
3PB BOURNEMOUTH, 30 CHRISTCHURCH ROAD
- Go to...
Commercial; Personal Injury; Property and Estates
Alexander Whatley has a busy civil practice incorporating Commercial, Personal Injury and Property.
Alexander joined 3PB after successful completion of his pupillage. Before commencing his career at the Bar he worked in a City advisory firm conducting investigative corporate intelligence for global merchants and hedge funds in the field of international commodity trading.
- Finalist in the Thomas A. Finlay International Mooting Competition
- Winner of Southampton Law Society Negotiation Competition
- Winner of Southampton Speed-Mooting Competition
Alexander regularly conducts Fast and Multi-Track commercial trials in addition to representing parties in mediations and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Recent cases include:
- FP Ltd v LT Ltd  A T Ltd v M C Ltd ; W K v CWC Ltd ; CS v HH Ltd  HF Ltd v RF Ltd  et al – Represented both Claimants and Defendants in a sequence of recruitment agency litigation – ATOW Alex has not lost a recruitment trial.
- L v C  – Successfully struck out the defective pleadings of an unrepresented party before irrecoverable litigation costs escalated and secured a costs order for the Defendant.
- M v R  – Successfully represented the Claimant in High Court proceedings to recover a judgment debt through enforcement.
- C & C v D  – Represented the Claimants in a 3-day misrepresentation trial involving an alleged village conspiracy, abusive neighbours and the existence of ghosts.
- R v M  – Acted for the Defendant in a contract dispute arising out of a university start-up venture which had transformed into a multi-million-pound media company.
- Bank v R & R  – Acted for two individuals in a misrepresentation action against a national bank concerning a £250m fraud.
- In the Matter of W E PLC  – Acted for the company in the High Court over the course of several months in a successful application to reduce their share premium account and transfer to special reserve in the amount of £6m.
Alexander is a contract specialist providing representation and advice in the following areas:
- Energy. Acting in trials concerning the ECO/ Green Deal and the supply and installation of energy-generating equipment.
- Franchise agreements including advising on a dispute with an international franchising company in the milkshake industry.
- Utilities with sub-speciality in water supply contracts for individuals and companies including extensive experience with the OFWAT guidance.
- Agency law with a sub-speciality in recruitment and estate agency litigation
- Reputational damage arising out of breach of contract including a successful recovery of damages arising from a horse trainer being labelled dishonest after feed purchased from a supplier was found to contain prohibited substances
- Consumer law advising and acting in cases concerning consumer contract regulations, consumer protection and UCTA.
- Residential and commercial construction disputes
- Misrepresentation in both tort and contractual claims
Commercial Litigation, Insolvency and Company Law
- Reduction in Share Capital Applications
- Shareholder Misfeasance including illegal conduct arising out of the Companies Act 2006
- Breach of fiduciary duty claims
- Professional Negligence with extensive experience against architects, surveyors and estate agents.
- Claims in restitution relating to business and commerce
- Extensive experience in conducting and opposing relief from sanctions applications
- Product liability including advising on a defective paint grenade
- Travel-related claims including international timeshare agreements
- Libel claims arising from online defamation and reputational damages.
- Part 36 disputes.
Personal injury forms the centre of Alex’s practice. He regularly appears in matters in the Multi-Track and Fast Track concerning:
- Road traffic accidents
- Employer’s liability
- Occupier’s liability
- Product liability
- Vicarious liability
- The Highways Act
- Psychological Injuries
- Chronic pain injuries
- Fundamental Dishonesty
Alex regularly conducts multi-track matters involving fraud, exaggerated claims, low velocity impacts and fundamental dishonesty.
Alex has considerable experience drafting pleadings and advices in complex personal injury cases including matters involving permanent conditions and provisional damages.
Alex has extensive knowledge in credit hire matters through regular instructions in high value fast track disputes. He undertakes work on both claimant and defendant sides and has dealt with cases covering the complete range of credit hire issues.
PROPERTY AND ESTATES
Alex’s court experiences includes:
- Mortgage Possessions
- Mortgage Applications
- Landlord and Tenant (Residential and Commercial)
- Charging Orders
- Bankruptcy and
Alex’s written experience extends to advising on property disputes including:
- Commercial Leaseholds
- Relief from Forfeiture
- Construction Contracts and
- Service Charges.
Year of call 2014
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- BPP Civil Forensic Accountancy Course
- Kaplan Law School BPTC
- University of Southampton LLB Law
- Inner Temple Profumo Scholarship
- Inner Temple Major Exhibition Award
- Inner Temple Duke of Edinburgh Award
- Kaplan BPTC Future Potential Scholarship