DLA Piper Chile > Santiago, Chile > Firm Profile
DLA Piper Chile Offices
El Golf 150
DLA Piper Chile > The Legal 500 Rankings
Chile > Venture capital Tier 1‘Showing great expertise and flexibility when negotiating with corporate investors and mutual funds‘, international legal practice DLA Piper Chile has firmly built upon the specialised VC practice of its predecessor (the former Bahamondez, Alvarez & Zegers), which established the group back in 2008. Representative work includes advising entrepreneurs on corporate restructuring for financing rounds, and negotiating investment documents and exits, along with due diligence work. ‘Experienced and wise‘ Chilean VC and entrepreneurship attorney Matías Zegers consistently advises on first-of-their-kind transactions in Chile, and former senior associate Jorge Timmermann was elevated to the partnership in January 2021. Timmermann advises multiple VC firms and entrepreneurs on setting up investment funds, start-up vehicles, and applying for state-driven funding opportunities. At associate level, Pilar Ay and Eduardo Araya‘s practice includes VC work.
‘Shows great expertise and flexibility when negotiating with corporate investors and mutual funds.’
‘By far the most experienced and knowledgeable firm in venture capital.‘
‘The team has the experience of being inserted in the first world, knowing the best investment legal structures, the type of corporate structures that make the future sale of the startup optimal from a tax point of view, and how the pro-entrepreneur and pro-investor clauses really work.‘
‘They present multiple ways on how to reach agreements and guide clients when the negotiated agreement may be a problem for the future.‘
‘They are the team of venture capital lawyers with the most experience in Chile, with a lot of experience in the industry, quality work and great response speeds.‘
‘The DLA Piper team is one of the firms that is involved in all the major venture capital transactions in the Chilean-Latin American-Silicon Valley ecosystem.‘
‘Rated for the experience and wisdom of Matías Zegers, as well as his ability to negotiate.‘
‘We appreciate associate Pilar Ay’s extraordinary professional qualities and speed of work.‘
A3 Electric Mobility
Air N Car
- Advised Odd Industries, an artificial intelligence company, on its sale to Maderas Arauco.
- Advised Comunidad Feliz on the internationalisation of its holding company and a Series A financing with Clout.
- Advised Administradora Fen Ventures II, which invested through its private equity fund FIP Fen Ventures II in nine Chilean technology companies.
Chile > Compliance Tier 2
Providing 'a first-class service', the four-member compliance team at DLA Piper Chile, co-led by highly regarded partners Diego Noguera and Mauricio Halpern, has particular experience in sectors such as, forestry, mining, retail, energy, publishing and heavy industry. Noguera leverages off his extensive experience in corporate law and capital markets to assist with the identification of specific risks and potential conflicts of interest between private entities and public agencies; while Halpern, informed by his previous experience as in-house counsel, advises on risk assessment, internal control measures, fraud investigations, training, and internal and official reporting. The firm also fields a robust litigation department, while the white-collar practice (launched in 2019) is led by counsel Ignacio Schwerter. Further support is provided by regulatory compliance associate Andrea de la Vega.
Diego Noguera; Mauricio Halpern
‘DLA Piper provided us with a first-class service and comprehensive advice during our process of establishing a compliance area within the company.‘
‘Excellent availability and a high level of technical knowledge.‘
‘Mauricio Halpern and associate Andrea de la Vega provided great support and speedy responses.‘
Ediciones Santillana del Pacífico
American Tower Corporation
- Assisted Finning Chile with regulatory compliance issues surrounding environment, health and safety matters.
- Assisting Energía Llaima with the development of the company’s crime prevention model.
- Assisted Acepta.com with the development of the company’s crime prevention model.
‘Commitment and responsibility from both partners and associates.‘
‘Client satisfaction is essential to them.‘
‘They clearly prioritise clients’ needs, in addition to having strong experience in several areas.‘
RWE Renewables Chile
Gasoducto Gas Andes
- Advising CarbonFree Technology on all stages of the development of its photovoltaic power plants, from due diligence through to the acquisition and execution of the EPC and operational agreements.
- Advising Sonnedix UK Services on its day-to-day legal issues, and regulatory and construction matters, as well as the review and negotiation of development agreements for the construction of the Atacama Solar project.
- Assisted Solarcentury Chile with submitting an offer during the bidding process (carried out by the Ministry of National Assets) to obtain a public land concession for the development of three solar energy projects.
Chile > Capital markets Tier 3The broad practice at DLA Piper Chile is a ‘technically extraordinary team‘ and advises on matters ranging from IPOs, private and public placements and securities issuances, to assistance with capital increases, stock options, bond issuances and credit line registrations. Clients additionally benefit from the group’s expertise in venture capital and its experience in working with entrepreneurs. Securities and capital markets expert Diego Noguera leads the department, which includes corporate and securities law specialist Matías Zegers. In January 2021, Jorge Timmermann (securities issuances and fund registrations) was made up to partner; but former counsel Manola Quiroz moved to NLD Abogados as a partner in February.
‘The DLA team is technically extraordinary, but they also commit enough time and resources so that clients feel permanently accompanied by them; and they are accessible both at associate-attorney and partner level.‘
‘The main differentiating element is the commitment to handling clients’ concerns.‘
‘A very good team, with quick answers and practical solutions to the problems presented.‘
‘Jorge Timmerman is very receptive to looking for solutions within the options presented to him, and he is very clear in explaining his answers.‘
LQ Inversiones Financieras
OakTree Capital Management
Administradora Fen Ventures II
Link Capital Partners
Fondo de Inversión Privado Vulcano – Administradora Dadneo II
- Advised Quiñenco on the issuance of local bonds.
- Advised Oaktree Capital Management on the design and incorporation of local investment funds.
- Advised LQ Inversiones Financieras on the filling of two bond lines before the CMF.
Chile > Corporate and M&A Tier 3‘A very competent team that is always ready to help‘, the 15-member corporate and M&A practice group at DLA Piper Chile advises during each phase of M&A processes, from due diligence to post-closing actions; the practice has notable specialisations in corporate governance, technology, energy and natural resources, and venture capital-related transactions. Corporate group head Matías Zegers focuses his practice on M&A and corporate governance, and is considered one of Chile’s most experienced venture capital lawyers; Marco Salgado has substantial experience in both public and private M&A. Raised to the partnership in January 2021, Jorge Timmermann‘s transactional practice includes the structuring of M&A operations, and stock purchase and shareholder agreements. However, former partners Paulo Larrain and José Pablo Dulanto, along with former counsel Manola Quiroz, departed the firm in February 2021 to re-establish NLD Abogados, which merged into DLA back in 2018.
‘A very competent team that is always ready to help.‘
‘Compares well with other top law firms.‘
‘Everyone is always very attentive to matters and the partners are always available; and they listen to clients’ concerns, seeking to do the necessary.‘
‘The legal-technical quality of the firm is very good.‘
American Tower Corporation
Jeld Wen Chile
Seven Seas Water
Inversiones Santa María
- Advised American Tower Corporation on the local aspects of the purchase from Telefónica Group of 30,722 telecoms towers in Europe (Germany and Spain) and Latin America, including the asset due diligence and drafting of closing documents.
- Advised Uber and Cornershop, as joint counsel, on closing a deal by which Uber acquired a majority stake in Cornershop.
- Advised Odd Industries, an AI company, on its sale to Maderas Arauco.
Chile > Data privacy Tier 3
DLA Piper Chile's 'outstanding' four-member group combines its data protection legal expertise with experience in regulatory matters, technology, corporate law, venture capital and consumer protection. Head of the regulatory and regulated markets practice group, Felipe Bahamondez, has vast experience in the technology and telecoms sectors, as well as in data protection work. At associate level, Lisa Hondl is experienced in assisting large national and international companies with the implementation and everyday application of the GDPR, including communications with the national supervisory authorities.
‘They compare favourably with other teams, and have a lot of technical and accurate knowledge – they do a very neat job, leaving no loose ends.‘
ATC Sitios de Chile
- Advised L’Oréal on the data protection-compliant design of an online platform and mobile app (in co-operation with various other providers), as well as on the preparation of privacy policies and terms and conditions.
- Assisted Chilean tech company Acepta.com with reviewing contracts with service providers and drafting data protection clauses.
- Advised ATC Sitios de Chile on both the creation of a data retention policy and the adaption of an employee ‘Bring Your Own Device’ policy with national data protection law requirements.
‘What makes them unique is their level of commitment to addressing issues that go beyond the norm and that have been challenging in current times, such as the management of immigration issues in a Covid context and addressing complex situations with employees who have breached our standards of respect to diversity and inclusion.‘
San José Farms
Ingersoll – Rand
- Successfully defended Jeld-Wen against ots former top management in Chile (general manager, CFO and marketing manager).
- Assisted Uber with a workforce reduction matter, following a decision taken globally.
- Assisted Spectrum Brands with restructuring the company due to a change of business model.
Rodrigo Alvarez; Felipe Bahamondez
Sonnedix UK Services
- Advised CarbonFree Technology on the development of photovoltaic power plants, from the due diligence processes to the acquisition and execution of the EPC and operation agreements.
- Assisted Sonnedix UK Services with regulatory and construction matters, and the review and negotiation of development agreements for the construction of a large solar plant to be built in Chile.
Chile > Public law Tier 3The four-member team at DLA Piper Chile consistently assists with administrative procedures before various authorities and agencies; the development of clients’ activities through regulatory reports; and public entities’ bidding processes. Other areas of expertise include food product labelling, responding to consumer claims filed before the Servicio Nacional del Consumidor, and public law litigation before the ordinary and special courts. Heading the regulated markets and antitrust practice group, Felipe Bahamondez has broad public law and regulatory experience; senior associate Paulina Farías has robust regulatory, public law, and energy and natural resources practices. Former counsel Ricardo López left the firm in early 2021.
‘Great sense of urgency and practical points of view.‘
Antarctic Sea Fisheries
Oil-Dri Corporation of America
American Tower Corporation
- Assisted Uber Chile with a claim before the Contraloría General de la República (an inspection body of the State Administration that controls the legality of administrative acts and safeguards the correct use of public funds).
- Assisted Oil-Dri Corporation of America with the registration of several products for animal consumption before the Agricultural and Livestock Service.
- Successfully advised Solarcentury Chile on the bidding process (carried out by the Ministry of National Assets) for a public land concession for the development of three solar energy projects.
Chile > Real estate Tier 3DLA Piper Chile consistently assists both national and international clients with a wide array of real estate matters, ranging from the development of real estate projects and the drafting of construction contracts, to urban planning and project financing for housing, hospitality and photovoltaic plants; the team also regularly collaborates with the firm’s energy, regulatory and taxation departments. The real estate and construction practice group co-heads are Rodrigo Álvarez, who has over 20 years’ experience in real estate matters; and counsel Teresa Fernández, who handles a broad spectrum of real estate matters. At senior associate level, Bernardita Doren also assists with real estate transactions, including residential, industrial and agricultural developments.
Rodrigo Álvarez; Teresa Fernández
‘Multidisciplinary areas are integrated into meetings for quicker and better solutions.‘
‘They have the advantage of being flexible when it comes to understanding the dynamics of clients’ business – they are always looking for solutions that are tailored to what clients need.‘
‘A lot of capacity and very good availability.‘
‘With respect to other firms, it stands out because it understands the real estate business very well.‘
‘They do not see us just as a client; they become involved with us as another partner, which leads to creative and efficient solutions for different issues.‘
‘Rodrigo Álvarez is flexible and resourceful, and his vast knowledge includes tax matters.‘
‘Teresa Fernandez is a standout counsel.’
World Courier Chile
Soluciones Culinarias del Sur
Aktivo Fondo de Inversión
Santafe Desarrollos Inmobiliarios
- Advised Carbonfree Technology on the development of several photovoltaic projects, which included assistance with the constitution of easements, obtaining access permits, and modifications to lease contracts.
- Advised Santafe Desarrollos Inmobiliarios on the purchase of properties for the development of a housing project.
- Advised World Courier Chile (as tenant) on a long-term lease agreement for a warehouse (among others).
Chile > Banking and finance Tier 4DLA Piper Chile‘s four-strong team consistently advises banks, financial institutions and syndicated club banks on structured finance and multilateral deals; the Santiago office also has active practices in project finance (particularly solar) and regulatory matters. Matías Zegers has extensive experience in finance work; Mauricio Halpern (partner as of 2020), regularly acts as lead bank or borrower/sponsor counsel in relation to credit facility structuring; and associate Vicente Vergara‘s practice covers lending, structured products, and energy and infrastructure project finance.
Mauricio Halpern; Matías Zegers
Oaktree Capital Management
Seven Seas Water Chile
Inversiones de Aguas Chile
Banco de Crédito del Perú
Lácteos del Sur
- Advised (as Chilean counsel) Oaktree Capital Management, as tranche A lender for a super-priority debtor-in-possession term loan agreement, by which Latam Airlines Group requested a delayed-draw term loan facility.
- Advised (as Chilean counsel) Seven Seas Water Chile and Inversiones de Aguas Chile (as guarantors of a credit agreement).
- Acted as Chilean counsel to Axesat Chile as guarantor of a credit agreement.
Felipe Bahamondez; Sofia O’Ryan
‘This group of lawyers mixes the experience of its partners with the firm’s knowledge of law and litigation, particularly the specific antitrust knowledge of its younger lawyers – a very solid work product.‘
‘The antitrust team’s vision and knowledge are very in tune with what is required to meet the Antitrust Court’s high standards.’
‘The experience of having worked in Chile’s free competition agency marks a difference from other firms that do not have specialist lawyers within their work teams.‘
‘They have a very good understanding of anticompetitive behaviour, know the jurisprudence, and know that the court analysing the cases is capable of performing sophisticated analyses of market behaviour.‘
‘Very efficient when defining the arguments that they will use in their judicial strategy.‘
‘Counsel Sofia O’Ryan deserves special mention.‘
- Advised Cornershop Technologies and Uber Technologies (as joint counsel) on a merger control procedure before the FNE, which concerned the acquisition of a majority ownership of Cornershop by Uber.
- Defended Uber Chile and Uber International Holding before the TDLC in a case filed by a union of taxi drivers for unfair trade allegations.
Chile > Tax Tier 4The three-member team at DLA Piper Chile assists with the implementation of tax strategies for diverse investment projects, and advises companies and individuals on the daily development of their businesses; it also assists with the resolution of tax-related conflicts, and provides tax support during M&A transactions and project financings. Additionally of note, the group advises on the tax side to infrastructure and digital services matters. Experienced in advising on a broad spectrum of tax matters, Rodrigo Álvarez leads the tax group, which includes key senior associate German Vargas. Since publication, the team has been further strengthened with the addition of Amory Heine, formerly of Rojas & Cía, in November 2021; she handles corporate and individual tax planning, and transactional and business structuring, along with audits and litigation before the IRS and tax courts.
‘We had a very good experience with the firm.‘
‘They give us a lot of security – we are on solid ground with them.‘
‘More experience in venture capital than other firms we have worked with.‘
‘They have a pragmatic approach that contributes a great deal during complex negotiations, particularly where excessively theoretical professionals identify more problems than solutions.‘
‘Rodrigo Álvarez is great for his focus on the big decisions.‘
‘Senior associate German Vargas is very good during negotiations with counterparts and for strategy execution.‘
Oaktree Capital Management
- Advised Oaktree Capital Management on tax matters arising from the debtor-in-possession financing of LATAM Airlines Group.
- Provided legal tax advice (as joint counsel to Uber and Cornershop) on the acquisition of majority ownership in Cornershop by Uber.
- Assists Uber Chile (on an ongoing basis) with tax matters.
DLA Piper Chile has broad experience in dispute resolution (both litigation and arbitration), consistently representing Chilean and foreign clients in high-profile cases; the team’s litigious experience is primarily in commercial and civil judicial proceedings along with the defence of constitutional and regulated rights. At counsel level, Macarena Iturra, has broad litigation and arbitration experience -particularly regarding civil and commercial issues- and heads up the dispute resolution practice, while Ignacio Schwerter, in turn, leads the white-collar practice area. Former counsel and co-head of the arbitration and litigation team, Ricardo A López moved to NLD Abogados as a partner in February 2021.
Antraco Chemie Handelsges
Antarctic Sea Fisheries
Kenneth Arthur Clark
Kompanie Ultramar Sievers
- Acted for BASF Chile in a claim involving an alleged breach of contract and additional contractual liability.
- Assisted Antarctic Sea Fisheries with several proceedings before specialised tax and customs courts, which concerned alleged infringements of customs and tax provisions.
- Acted for Needish in two class actions involving an alleged infringement of consumer law.
DLA Piper Chile > Firm Profile
DLA Piper Chile is a full-service business law firm with more than 45 lawyers, many trained both locally and abroad.
With extensive knowledge and experience across a range of sectors, we advise on matters related to corporate and M&A; financing; inbound and outbound capital investments; capital markets; investment funds; corporate governance; private equity and venture capital; natural resources and energy, mining, oil and gas; environmental; regulated markets; telecommunications; concessions; public procurement, regulatory and administrative law; privacy and data protection; antitrust; litigation; white collar; compliance and internal investigations; labor, employment and immigration; tax; and real estate, among other areas of law.
DLA Piper Chile represents the firm’s pan-hemispheric approach and is a fully
integrated part of its global platform.
Main areas of practice: Our team of highly experienced lawyers handles the most sophisticated corporate transactions. The work of our strong M&A team spans a range of industries, and we also bring notable experience in venture capital and corporate governance as well as knowledge of Chile’s investment environment.
Corporate: Our team of highly experienced lawyers handles the most sophisticated corporate transactions. The work of our strong M&A team spans a range of industries, and we also bring notable experience in venture capital and corporate governance as well as knowledge of Chile’s investment environment.
- Corporate law
- Financing and credit
- Investment funds
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate governance
- Foreign investment
- Capital markets
- Private equity
- Venture capital
Energy and natural resources: In an ever-changing market for energy /oil and gas, we leverage our local knowledge of the Chilean marketplace with the vast experience of DLA Piper’s global energy sector. We are acutely familiar with projects and infrastructure opportunities in Chile, as well as the challenges of working with clients that have interests and operations here. In the increasingly active renewables market, DLA Piper Chile lawyers have taken part in some of the most significant deals in Chile.
- Conventional energy
- Renewable energy
- Natural gas and LNG
Regulated markets: Successful business deals cannot be concluded without careful regulatory compliance – both Chilean and international. DLA Piper Chile provides comprehensive legal advice on regulatory requirements and developments and practical solutions to help our clients achieve their strategic objectives.
We have lawyers with broad experience in representing our clients before local, municipal and national authorities and agencies throughout Chile, as well as in various administrative procedures, in bidding processes convened by
different public entities and in the defence of their interests before ordinary and special courts, such as the Public Procurement Court.
Our clients hail from many of the regulated industry sectors, including telecom, energy, food and beverage, technology, healthcare and life sciences.
- Public concessions
- Regulated markets
- Administrative public law
- Public contracting
- Data protection and information privacy
Antitrust: This area includes all areas of legislation on antitrust, including litigation before the Tribunal for the Defense of Free Competition (Tribunal de Defensa de la Libre Competencia), defense in investigations, advice on negotiation agreements with the National Economic Prosecutor’s Office (Fiscalía Nacional Económica) and notification of mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures, among others.
- Matters related to concentration operations
- Advice on investigations before the National Economic Prosecutor (Fiscalía Nacional Económica)
- Litigations before the Antitrust Court (Tribunal de Defensa de la Libre Competencia) and Supreme Court (Corte Suprema)
- Design and implementation of compliance programs
Resolution of Controversies: We represent and defend the interests of our clients in litigious matters before courts, Chilean and international arbitrations, as well as before special courts.
- Civil and commercial trials
- Arbitration / alternative
- Dispute resolution
- Consumer law
- Trademark and patent trials
White-collar: We assist clients manage a crisis, provide guidance through an investigation (whether national or international) and provide advise on becoming fully compliant with specific regulations wherever in the world you operate.
- Advising in highly complex criminal litigation
- Compliance and internal investigations
Labor and immigration: We closely support our clients in all legal aspects of personnel management, and provide specialized advice on highly complex matters.
- Comprehensive corporate advisory on labor and social security
- Assistance in business reorganizations
- Collective negotiations
- Expatriation and immigration of workers
- Executive compensation plans
- Labor taxation
- Due diligence and audits
Tax: We provide tax advisory and reorganization services both at a corporate and individual level, designing and implementing strategies to address the development of investment projects and the daily activities of companies and individuals. In addition, we advise on the resolution of controversies that may arise with the Chilean supervising body and before the Tributary Courts.
- Tax consultancy
- Tax reorganization
- Double Taxation Agreements
- Cross-border Agreements and Transfer Pricing
- Tax litigation
Infrastructure, real estate and construction: We advise our clients in the development of real estate projects from their initial phase to their final sale, including the tax planning and implementation phase for its development, such as those areas of legal nature related to title studies, urban planning and construction and commercialization of projects.
- Infrastructure projects
- Real estate advice
- Real estate projects
- Construction contracts (standard, EPC, BOT, etc)
Industries: Our firm has great understanding regarding a varied number of industries, either due to transactional work or specific analysis carried out in them.
- Financial sectors
- Sports and entertainment
- Energy / sanitary / goods for public use
- Real estate and construction
- Health / laboratories
- Technology / bio technology
- Telecommunications and media
|Compliance and Investigations||Diego Noguerafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Capital Markets||Matías Zegersemail@example.com|
|Capital Markets||Diego Noguerafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Compliance and Investigations||Mauricio Halpernemail@example.com|
|Family Groups||Diego Noguerafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Projects and Infraestructure||Mauricio Halpernemail@example.com|
|Banking and Finance||Mauricio Halpernfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Franchise and Distribution Matters||Marco Salgadoemail@example.com|
|Banking and Finance||Matías Zegersfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Inbound and Outbound Capital Investments||Matías Zegersemail@example.com|
|Labor and Employment||Luis Paradafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Private Equity and Debt Financing||Matías Zegersemail@example.com|
|Venture Capital and Fund Formation||Matías Zegersfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate Governance and Compliance||Matías Zegersemail@example.com|
|Regulated Markets||Felipe Bahamondezfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Energy and Natural Resources||Felipe Bahamondezemail@example.com|
|Tax Structuring, Transfer Pricing, Imports and Market Access issues||Rodrigo Álvarezfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Technology, Telecommunications and Intellectual Property, Privacy and Data Security, E-commerce||Marco Salgadoemail@example.com|
|Real Estate and Hospitality||Rodrigo Álvarezfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Real Estate and Hospitality||Bernardita Dorenemail@example.com|
|Tax Structuring, Transfer Pricing, Imports and Market Access issues||Amory Heinefirstname.lastname@example.org|
Staff FiguresLawyers : 46 Administration : 18
OtherPartners : 9
United Kingdom: Technology
Published: August 2021
Authors: Kit Burden
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Technology laws and regulations that may occur in United Kingdom.
Colombia: Mergers & Acquisitions
Published: April 2022
Authors: Juan Manuel de la Rosa Felipe Quintero
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Mergers & Acquisitions laws and regulations that may occur in Colombia.
Tanzania: Mergers & Acquisitions
Published: April 2022
Authors: Burure Ngocho
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Mergers & Acquisitions laws and regulations that may occur in Tanzania.
The Netherlands: Tax
Published: September 2021
Authors: Jian-Cheng Ku Rhys Bane
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Tax laws and regulations that may occur in The Netherlands.
United Kingdom: Renewable Energy
Published: May 2022
Authors: Natasha Luther-Jones
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Renewable Energy laws and regulations that may occur in United Kingdom.
Denmark: Restructuring & Insolvency
Published: May 2022
Authors: Henrik Sjørslev Per Astrup Madsen Peter Hedegaard Knudsen Henrik Lund-Koefoed
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Restructuring & Insolvency laws and regulations that may occur in Denmark.
- Venture capital
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Capital markets
- Corporate and M&A
- Data privacy
- Labour and employment
- Projects and infrastructure
- Public law
- Real estate