Michael King > Cleaver Fulton Rankin > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Lawyer Profile
Cleaver Fulton Rankin Offices
50 BEDFORD STREET
- Go to...
Intellectual Property; Data Protection; GDPR; Cyber Risk; Litigation
Michael King is a commercial litigator with particular expertise in intellectual property and information law. He regularly advises on cases involving freedom of information and data protection issues. Recently he has been working with organisations on the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation.
2004 to 2006 – trainee solicitor, Arthur Cox, Belfast; 2006 to 2010 – associate solicitor, Arthur Cox, Belfast; 2010 to 2012 – assistant solicitor, Cleaver Fulton Rankin, Belfast; 2012 to 2016 – associate solicitor, Cleaver Fulton Rankin, Belfast; 2016 to present- director, Cleaver Fulton Rankin, Belfast.
Law Society of Northern Ireland; 2017 – joined the Intellectual Property Lawyers Association as representative for Cleaver Fulton Rankin.
2002 – LLB from Queen’s University of Belfast (2:1); 2003 – LLM in International Human Rights Law from Queen’s University Belfast; 2006 – Certificate in Professional Legal Studies (Distinction) from Queen’s University Belfast; 2006 – admitted as Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Judicature in Northern Ireland; 2008 – Postgraduate Certificate in Commercial Intellectual Property (Dip CIP) from Nottingham Trent University; 2010 – admitted as Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Judicature in England & Wales; 2012 – qualified as a mediator with Queen’s University Belfast; 2015 – certified as a practitioner in data protection (Pc.dp); 2017 – joined the Intellectual Property Lawyers Association as representative for Cleaver Fulton Rankin.
The ‘well informed and well connected‘ Cleaver Fulton Rankin is particularly active in the construction and public sectors, often acting on high-value contract disputes. Department head Jeanette Donohoe specialises in insolvency litigation and regularly acts in High Court disputes. Former head Patrick Fleming remains a director in the department and focuses on construction and procurement law. Fleming’s focus on construction is shared by managing director Jonathan Forrester, who additionally leads on professional negligence and charities. Michael King and Aaron Moore are also recommended. Associate Rachael Gamble provides key support.
Cleaver Fulton Rankin act on both contentious and non-contentious matters, and are particularly active in the technology and software sector. The team is co-led by litigator Michael King, who is experienced in contentious IP, and corporate partner Paul McBride, who joined the firm from Davidson McDonnell Solicitors in January 2022.
Cleaver Fulton Rankin is primarily active on liability cases, frequently representing clients before the High Court. Michael King leads the team and has notable experience in dealing with complex personal injury claims. His qualified in mediation and alternative dispute resolution is a further asset.
- Dispute resolution - Northern Ireland
- Leading individuals - Northern Ireland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Intellectual property - Northern Ireland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant - Northern Ireland > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Dispute resolution
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant