Gerard Armstrong > Carson McDowell > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Lawyer Profile
Carson McDowell Offices
- Go to...
Corporate finance, corporate and commercial, project finance.
Gerard is a member of Carson McDowell’s corporate and projects teams. A partner in the firm’s corporate finance department, Gerard has experience of acting for some of Northern Ireland’s most commercially sophisticated companies in relation to corporate sales and acquisitions, as well as advising on a wide range of commercial arrangements and ventures. As an integral member of the projects unit, Gerard has extensive experience of advising clients in relation to a number of schemes and projects, including PPP, PFI, DBFO and DBFOM projects and refinancing projects, having advised funders, public bodies and the private sector in relation to a number of projects which have successfully been negotiated through to financial close and beyond. In addition, Gerard has advised a number of clients in relation to non-PFI projects including windfarm projects and energy from waste developments.
Trained Carson McDowell, qualified 2003; appointed associate 2007; partner 2012 to date.
Law Society of Northern Ireland.
St Mary’s Christian Brothers Grammar School, Belfast; Queen’s University of Belfast (2001 LLB (Hons) First Class); Institute of Professional Legal Studies (2003 (Distinction)).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The practice at Carson McDowell runs the gamut of corporate, commercial and finance work relating to energy projects, and also draws on the support of planning and environment specialist Gary McGhee. Neasa Quigley, who leads the team, is an expert in energy-related corporate transactions. Project finance work is primarily handled by Sinead McGrath, while property work is Emma Cooper‘s core area of expertise. Gerard Armstrong has extensive experience in PFI/PPP work.
Carson McDowell is a key name in the market for corporate deals involving the energy and agri-food industries, with a growing foothold in the private equity and venture capital arenas. The ‘truly exceptional’ Richard Gray leads the team and advises major domestic companies including SHS Group and Lagan Investments. Neasa Quigley is a key name for energy and private equity work and was made senior partner in 2019, while Gerard Armstrong stands out for his skills in the agri-food, waste and construction sectors. Former managing partner Michael Johnston is now a consultant.
- Corporate and M&A - Northern Ireland > Corporate and commercial
- Energy, project finance and PFI - Northern Ireland > Projects, energy and natural resources
- Leading individuals - Northern Ireland > Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment