Darren Toombs > Carson McDowell > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Lawyer Profile
Carson McDowell Offices
- Go to...
Commercial litigation/dispute resolution
Partner within the commercial litigation team. Darren heads up the firms debt recovery department, acting for a range of commercial clients ranging from banks and financial institutions, insolvency practitioners and commercial businesses. He also acts to enforce security and assists with asset recovery on regulated and unregulated agreements.
Trained solicitor 1998-2000; qualified 2000; Carson Mcdowell 2003, associate 2006, partner 2010 to date.
Law Society of Northern Ireland Council Member
Abbey CBS, Newry; QUB (1998 LLB Law and Accounting, 2000 IPLS).
Road cycling and racing.
Often instructed in High Court litigation, Carson McDowell‘s highly diverse expertise in dispute resolution encompasses media defamation issues, professional indemnity claims, construction litigation, debt recovery work and contractual disputes. Declan Magee leads the practice and has notable experience in major media cases involving defamation elements and injunctions; he has also been active in criminal cases involving public bodies. Senior litigator Hugh McGrattan is a key name for professional indemnity work, and has represented insurers and individuals in the legal, accountancy, architecture and engineering sectors. Darren Toombs handles debt recovery mandates and has represented liquidators, trustees and administrators, while Peter Guzhar focuses broadly on commercial litigation with additional expertise in IP issues.
With expertise in contentious and non-contentious matters, Carson McDowell has represented key names in the financial services sector including EY, KPMG and Grant Thornton. Darren Toombs jointly leads the team and stands out for his insolvency litigation expertise, acting for trustees, liquidators and administrators. Fellow practice head Sinead McGrath is adept at advisory work and has a client base consisting of major banks, borrowers and financial institutions. At the junior end of the team, Shane McVeigh is singled out as ‘an excellent associate’.
- Dispute resolution - Northern Ireland
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - Northern Ireland > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment