Rachel Penny > Carson McDowell > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Lawyer Profile
Carson McDowell Offices
- Go to...
Rachel is a partner in the highly regarded employment team at Carson McDowell. Although she practices a broad range of non-contentious and contentious employment law, Rachel’s particular expertise is in providing clients with advice on strategic and advisory employment law matters, including sensitive investigations, executive appointment and termination, outsourcing transactions (particularly those involving the public sector), large scale ‘change management’ and redundancy programmes. Rachel is also known for her work on transactional employment matters, particularly acquisitions involving TUPE and trade union issues.
Trained Linklaters; qualified 2000, joining employment team. Eversheds’ London office employment team 2001; Arthur Cox 2006; Carson McDowell 2009; partner 2013. Has dual qualification and practising certificates in Northern Ireland and England and Wales.
Law Society of Northern Ireland; Law Society of England and Wales; Employment Lawyers Group (NI); Employment Lawyers Association (GB).
Wellington College, Belfast; Trinity Hall, Cambridge University (1996 BA 2:1); College of Law York, Legal Practice Course (1997 distinction).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Carson McDowell handles the full spectrum of employment work and is instructed by heavily unionised and quasi-public entities including Ulster University, Translink and Royal Mail. The ‘very personable, efficient and hardworking‘ Orlagh O’Neill leads the team and is particularly strong at handling grievance and whistleblowing investigations. Rachel Penny, who is an expert in TUPE regulations and restructuring mandates, is also a key name to note.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment