Olivia O'Kane > Carson McDowell > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Lawyer Profile
Carson McDowell Offices
- Go to...
Media and Entertainment Law
Olivia is a partner and head of Carson McDowell’s Media and Entertainment Law team. Her areas of practice are in defamation, privacy, copyright, harassment, data protection, European Convention on Human Rights, contempt, journalistic privilege, journalistic sources, press regulation, advertising and broadcast regulation, E-commerce law and policy, social and online media, reporting restrictions and internet law.
She has more than 10 years’ experience advising in contentious and non-contentious litigation and has a wide range of clients including media liability insurers, international publishers, online businesses, magazines, and authors as well as clients from the print, TV and radio broadcast sector for whom she advises on all aspects of media and entertainment law.
Trained Caldwell Warner Belfast; qualified 2006; John McKee & Son Belfast 2006 – 2010; Carson McDowell LLP 2010 to date.
Law Society of Northern Ireland, Law Society of Ireland, Media Lawyers, Society of Editors, Belfast Solicitors’ Association.
Loreto Grammar School Coleraine; Strathclyde University Glasgow (EU Law & Politics 2:1, (BA Joint Hons) 2002); The Queens University of Belfast (Masters of Legal Science First Class (Hons), 2004); The Institute of Professional Legal Studies (IPLS QUB Distinction, 2006); Solicitor Advocate (Law Society of Northern Ireland and National Institute for Trial Advocacy, 2012); Masters Modules University of Ulster: US Media & Entertainment Law First Class; Copyright and the Information Society First Class (2015/16).
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment