Stuart Murphy > Carson McDowell > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Lawyer Profile
Carson McDowell Offices
- Go to...
Stuart heads up Carson McDowell’s construction practice and works on a dedicated basis on construction and engineering matters. Stuart has experience of drafting and negotiating construction contracts, warranties and other documents necessary for the building process and of vetting and carrying out tender analyses. He has advised clients during the progress of construction works, to resolve issues as they arise and try to avoid disputes escalating. Where disputes are unavoidable, Stuart has a wide range of experience in the variety of different dispute resolution processes, including litigation, arbitration, adjudication and the increasingly frequently used alternative dispute resolution techniques such as mediation, expert determination etc. Stuart also lectures regularly on legal topics of interest to the construction and engineering industry. Stuart’s major clients include the Belfast Harbour Commissioners, several of Northern Ireland’s Housing Associations and the Construction Employer’s Federation of Northern Ireland and their members.
Trained Mills & Reeve, Cambridge; qualified 1992; worked in the construction department of Masons (now Pinsent Masons) 1993-2007, latterly as a senior associate; partner Carson McDowell 2010 to date.
Law Society of England and Wales; Law Society of Northern Ireland.
Royal Belfast Academical Institution 1979-86; University of Liverpool (1989 LLB (Hons)); Chester College of Law (1990 Law Society Finals).
Northern Ireland > Real estate > ConstructionWithin: Leading individuals -
Carson McDowell is particularly active in advising on large construction projects in the social housing, energy, education and ports sectors. In addition to local work, the team has acted on significant developments in Great Britain, including university and office projects. Clients include a number of housing associations, as well as leading Northern Irish contractors. Practice head Stuart Murphy handles both contentious and non-contentious matters, while Kerry Teahan leads the firm’s procurement offering.
- Construction - Northern Ireland > Real estate
- Leading individuals - Northern Ireland > Real estate > Construction
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Human resources > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment