Dawn McKnight > Carson McDowell > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Lawyer Profile
Carson McDowell Offices
- Go to...
Dawn is a partner in the corporate and commercial team at Carson McDowell. She has extensive experience in advising on a wide range of company law and commercial law issues for clients operating in a variety of sectors, including mergers and acquisitions, management buy-outs and buy-ins, private equity transactions, company reorganisations and spin-out projects. Dawn has particular expertise in the fields of both partnership law and non-contentious intellectual property. As a result she works extensively for clients in the Technology Sector, advising regularly in connection with spinouts, new business ventures, technology licences and collaborative development projects. Dawn heads the firms Commercial Contracts Team. Her extensive experience in commercial work helps her deliver effective contractual arrangements for her clients. She is adept at focusing in on the commercial needs of clients so as to deliver a bespoke, cost effective and insightful service which is not only addresses immediate needs, but also anticipates issues and areas that will need to be addressed going forward.
Trained Carson McDowell; qualified 2001; joined corporate finance team; associate May 2007; partner February 2010 to date. Worked as an IFA for four years before deciding to pursue a career in law.
Association of Partnership Practitioners; Institute of Directors; Law Society of Northern Ireland; Northern Ireland Corporate and Commercial Lawyers Group; Northern Ireland Intellectual Property Association.
Antrim Grammar School; Queens University Belfast (1992 Combined Honours Bachelor of Social Science (BSSc) (Business Economics and Information Management) 2(1), 1999 LLB 2(1), 2001 Certificate of Professional Legal Studies).
Running and hill walking.
Carson McDowell is very active in licensing, enforcement and registration matters with a strong emphasis on the life sciences, engineering and technology sectors. Litigator Declan Magee is a key name and is highly skilled in the electronics and engineering industry. Peter Guzhar is another notable name for disputes, particularly in relation to patent infringements. For non-contentious work, Dawn McKnight is strong credentials for IP contracts involving the life sciences, manufacturing and technology sectors.
With expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters, Carson McDowell has built up a strong reputation in the market for advising traditional companies on digital transformations, as well as advising tech start-ups on licensing and development issues. Dawn McKnight is the key name of note and advises on IT contracts, hosting agreements and cybersecurity. Peter Guzhar brings another dimension to the practice with his expertise in software patent and copyright disputes.
- Intellectual property - Northern Ireland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- IT and telecoms - Northern Ireland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Leading individuals - Northern Ireland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment