Sinead McGrath > Carson McDowell > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Lawyer Profile
Carson McDowell Offices
- Go to...
Banking and finance.
As a partner at Carson McDowell, Sinead heads the banking and finance team. She acts for a wide variety banks, financial institutions and borrowers in relation to general acquisition finance, real estate finance, general corporate lending, project finance and restructuring. Key clients include Barclays Bank, Ulster Bank and Danske Bank.
Trained McKinty & Wright; qualified 1996; L’Estrange & Brett 1999-2009, partner from 2004; partner McGrigors 2009-12 (following merger with L’Estrange & Brett); partner Pinsent Masons 2012-13; partner Carson McDowell November 2013 to date.
Law Society of Northern Ireland.
Queens University, Belfast (1994 LLB Hons); Institute of Professional Legal Studies (1996).
The practice at Carson McDowell runs the gamut of corporate, commercial and finance work relating to energy projects, and also draws on the support of planning and environment specialist Gary McGhee. Neasa Quigley, who leads the team, is an expert in energy-related corporate transactions. Project finance work is primarily handled by Sinead McGrath, while property work is Emma Cooper‘s core area of expertise. Gerard Armstrong has extensive experience in PFI/PPP work.
Carson McDowell is a key player in the market for real estate finance mandates and is highly skilled in financing the acquisition and development of commercial and residential properties. Sinéad McGrath leads the team and has advised domestic and international banks and financial institutions on financing developments in the retail, hospitality and education sectors. McGrath is often supported by senior associate Emma Copeland, who has significant experience advising on housing association issues and residential developments.
With expertise in contentious and non-contentious matters, Carson McDowell has represented key names in the financial services sector including EY, KPMG and Grant Thornton. Darren Toombs jointly leads the team and stands out for his insolvency litigation expertise, acting for trustees, liquidators and administrators. Fellow practice head Sinead McGrath is adept at advisory work and has a client base consisting of major banks, borrowers and financial institutions. At the junior end of the team, Shane McVeigh is singled out as ‘an excellent associate’.
- Banking and finance - Northern Ireland > Finance
- Energy, project finance and PFI - Northern Ireland > Projects, energy and natural resources
- Hall of Fame - Northern Ireland > Finance > Banking and finance
- Leading individuals - Northern Ireland > Finance > Banking and finance
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - Northern Ireland > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment