Peter Guzhar > Carson McDowell > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Lawyer Profile
Carson McDowell Offices
- Go to...
Peter is a partner in the commercial litigation team at Carson McDowell and heads up the firm’s contentious IP practice. Peter has extensive experience of advising and acting in company, shareholder and partnership disputes to include minority shareholder petitions, breach of directors’ duties actions and partnership dissolution actions. Peter’s breadth of experience also includes defending and prosecuting intellectual property actions in the High Court in Northern Ireland to include a number of high value and complex patent infringement cases for clients in the technology and manufacturing sectors; advising and acting in copyright and trademark infringement matters, and further misappropriation and misuse of confidential information actions which have necessitated applications for injunctive relief to include mandatory injunctions and search and seizure orders. Peter also has experience of advising in complex contractual disputes relating to supply and manufacturing defect issues and has defended a number of Commercial Agency Regulations claims brought by agents. In addition, Peter has successfully prosecuted a judicial review action on behalf of interested parties against a Health Trust in respect of the failure to properly consult on the proposed closure of a hospital facility.
Trained Carson McDowell LLP; qualified 2006; joined commercial litigation team; associate 2012 – 2017; partner 2017 – to date.
The Law Society of Northern Ireland
Loreto College, Coleraine; Queens University Belfast (LLB); and the Institute of Professional Legal Studies.
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Carson McDowell advises on the full range of IP rights, including copyright, patents, trade marks, know-how and commercially sensitive information. In addition, the firm handles IP litigation, particularly patent and copyright infringement proceedings. The team has been highly active advising foreign clients with R&D facilities in Northern Ireland, and has growing expertise in software licensing, ICT managed services and technology transfer issues. Declan Magee and Dawn McKnight head the contentious and non-contentious sides of the practice, respectively, and Peter Guzhar is highly recommended for IP litigation, particularly patent infringement.
- Intellectual property - Northern Ireland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Next Generation Partners - Northern Ireland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Human resources > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment