Christopher Field > Dechert LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Dechert LLP Offices
160 QUEEN VICTORIA STREET
- Go to...
Private Equity; Mergers and Acquisitions; Corporate Governance; Corporate Finance and Capital Markets; Financial Services M&A; Distressed Mergers and Acquisitions; FinTech
Chris Field advises clients on a broad range of domestic and international private equity and corporate matters, including acquisitions, disposals, equity investments, initial public offerings (IPOs) and other equity capital markets transactions, as well as take privates and public M&A transactions.
He has developed particular expertise in multi-jurisdictional corporate carve-outs.
Mr. Field is a guest lecturer on private equity at the London Business School, has worked extensively on the training and mentoring of young lawyers and has been involved with Impetus – The Private Equity Foundation and its charities on various venture philanthropy matters, including being the recipient of its Transforming Lives pro bono award.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Field served for 11 years as a partner in the corporate group at Kirkland & Ellis.
Law Society, England and Wales
University of KwaZulu-Natal, B.A. (Hons), 1992; University of KwaZulu-Natal, LL.B., 1994; The University of Nottingham, LL.M., International Commercial Law, 1996, Distinction
Dechert LLP acts for buyout houses and sovereign wealth funds across the whole spectrum of deals in the PE space, including acquisitions, exits, investments and portfolio company M&A. The ‘very commercial, efficient and helpful’ team handles transactions both in the high-value and mid-market brackets, in sectors ranging from financial services to technology to healthcare. The practice experienced some turnover in 2021, with Mark Thompson and Sam Whittaker joining from Kirkland & Ellis International LLP and Ross Allardice departing. Thompson significantly adds to the firm’s offering for private equity real estate clients, while Whittaker stands out for his work with sovereign wealth funds. Christopher Field leads the practice and is praised as ‘technically brilliant’.
Dechert LLP‘s growing London team draws praise from a host of regulated corporates, banks, and investment firms its capabilities in high-value transactions. Practice co-chair Christopher Field‘s ‘excellent intellect’ makes him a key contact for some of the firm’s most significant financial services clients, who turn to him for his far-reaching expertise in multi-billion dollar, cross-border M&A. Douglas Getter‘s focus on international transactions sees him handling a significant volume of big-ticket mandates, most recently for clients in the tech, banking, and manufacturing sectors. Sean Geraghty is chiefly recognised for his TMT credentials, whereas Ross Montgomery – who was promoted to partner in January 2022 – has played critical roles in strategic telecoms divestitures and infrastructure investment transactions. Notable recent additions include PE transactional specialists Mark Thompson and Sam Whittaker, who joined the team from Kirkland & Ellis International LLP – arriving in July 2021 and August 2021, respectively.
- Private equity: transactions – high-value deals (£250m+) - London > Corporate and commercial
- M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £500m+ - London > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Hedge funds
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Finance > Acquisition finance
- Finance > Debt capital markets
- Finance > Derivatives and structured products
- Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Employment > Employers
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Real estate > Property finance
- Finance > Securitisation
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds
- Employment > Senior executives
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions – high-value deals (£250m+)
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £500m+