Mr Howard Kleinman > Dechert LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Dechert LLP Offices
Three Bryant Park, 1095 Avenue of the Americas
NEW YORK, NY 10036-6797
- Go to...
Mr Howard Kleinman
Corporate & Securities
Partner, Dechert’s Corporate & Securities practice
Howard Kleinman focuses his practice on capital markets and financial transactions. He represents domestic and foreign issuers, underwriters, and others in equity and debt offerings. His experience includes U.S. registered public offerings and offerings under Rule 144A private placements, offerings outside of the U.S. under Regulation S, exchange offers, debt tenders, and consent solicitations. In addition, he counsels both U.S. and non-U.S. issuers on ongoing disclosure obligations under the U.S. federal securities law and corporate governance matters. Mr. Kleinman also advises clients on mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. Fluent in English and Spanish, Mr. Kleinman has significant experience in Latin America.
Member, International Law Section, American Bar Association; Member, The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Columbia University, B.A., 1984, Honors; The London School of Economics and Political Science, M.A., 1986; New York University School of Law, J.D., 1988, Boudin Fellowship, Articles Editor of The Journal of International Law and Politics
Dechert LLP has a solid background in Latin America offerings thanks to the experience of key New York partner Howard Kleinman, who is noted for financial services deals in Chile and other jurisdictions. The capital markets team is especially noted for transactions in the life sciences, permanent capital and financial services sectors, where it frequently advises on Reg S and other global offerings for US-based issuers. Boston’s Thomas Friedmann co-heads the corporate finance and capital markets team, alongside New York partner David Rosenthal.
Dechert LLP maintains notable strengths in key areas such as life sciences and permanent capital vehicles, including business development companies. The team also has additional focus on cross-border offerings. Thomas Friedmann in Boston co-heads the capital markets team and specializes in permanent capital vehicles and business development company transactions, while New York-based practice co-head David Rosenthal is recommended for equity offerings in the life sciences sector. New York partner Howard Kleinman is noted for cross-border offerings, including those originating out of Latin America.
Dechert LLP has core strengths in debt offerings by life sciences businesses, permanent capital vehicles and business development companies. The firm is also active in cross-border and global offerings, particularly those originating from Latin America. Boston managing partner Thomas Friedmann is co-head of corporate finance and capital markets, and has a solid record in permanent capital offerings, as does Jay Alicandri in New York. Howard Kleinman (also in New York) is recommended for Latin America debt offerings.
Dechert LLP‘s well-rounded corporate finance and capital markets practice brings in a steady flow of high-yield debt engagements, notably from its loyal repeat issuer client base. The team maintains a diversified client base, but is especially active for life sciences issuers and permanent capital vehicles (including business development companies). Global offerings, particularly those originating from Latin America, are another forte for the team. New York partner Jay Alicandri is a key player in the private debt space and is a prominent figure in permanent capital sector offerings. Boston’s Thomas Friedmann co-chairs the global corporate finance and capital markets practice and also acts as co-head of the permanent capital group. Howard Kleinman has a extensive experience of Latin America debt offerings.
Dechert LLP has strong connections to Latin America-based businesses, including those in Mexico, Colombia, Brazil and Chile. The firm is also especially active in private equity deals that involve Latin America assets and subsidiaries. It advised Quilvest Capital Partners on the $450m sale of its portfolio company Command Alkon to Thoma Bravo; Command Alkon is a global business and a leading concrete producer and building materials supplier in Brazil. New York partner Howard Kleinman is a recognised Latin America specialist with extensive corporate relationships in the region. Washington DC partner Bernardo Piereck is another emerging talent in Latin America deals.
Dechert LLP is a recognised Latin America force thanks to the presence of Howard Kleinman in equity and debt offerings from multiple jurisdictions in the region. The firm is also at the forefront of bondholder restructurings with Allan Brilliant, a leader in this field.
Dechert LLP‘s eminence in Latin America matters largely centres on big-ticket bankruptcies and financial restructurings. In this regard, Allan Brilliant has an outstanding reputation, with Shmuel Vasser also active in significant restructurings and reorganisations in the region. The firm frequently advises creditors and bondholders in major cases, notably representing the official committee of unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of LATAM Airlines and its affiliates; this was one of a number of headline cross-border Chapter 11 cases caused by the Covid-19 crisis. In the restructuring and bankruptcy field, it also advises corporates that have assets or interests in Latin America. Private equity-related financings are another forte for the firm, with transactions often involving the region. Howard Kleinman is a recognised Latin America expert with experience in corporate, capital markets and financing transactions.
- Capital markets: debt offerings - United States > Finance
- Capital markets: equity offerings - United States > Finance
- Capital markets: global offerings - United States > Finance
- Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings - United States > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Tax > International tax
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Dispute resolution > International litigation
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: toxic tort
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: global offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Intellectual property > Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings)
- Dispute resolution > Leading trial lawyers
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense