Mr Allan Brilliant > Dechert LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Dechert LLP Offices
Three Bryant Park, 1095 Avenue of the Americas
NEW YORK, NY 10036-6797
- Go to...
Mr Allan Brilliant
Allan S. Brilliant, chair of the firm’s financial restructuring practice, represents bank groups, unsecured creditors’ and bondholder committees, acquirers, and debtors in large-scale restructurings and reorganizations and in non-judicial workouts throughout the United States. Mr. Brilliant also has significant experience advising bondholders on cross-border restructurings and reorganizations around the world, with an especially strong track record in Latin America.
He also has significant experience in bankruptcy litigation, particularly in fraudulent transfer and preference litigation, contested confirmation hearings, and bankruptcy appeals.
Mr. Brilliant is a frequent author and lecturer on topics related to bankruptcy. He is the coordinating editor of a four-volume treatise on insolvency law, Fletcher Corporate Bankruptcy, Reorganization and Dissolution (Clark Boardman Callahan 1992).
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., 1986, with Honors, Order of the Coif
- The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, B.S., 1982, cum laude
Dechert LLP is a recognised Latin America force thanks to the presence of Howard Kleinman in equity and debt offerings from multiple jurisdictions in the region. The firm is also at the forefront of bondholder restructurings with Allan Brilliant, a leader in this field.
Dechert LLP‘s eminence in Latin America matters largely centres on big-ticket bankruptcies and financial restructurings. In this regard, Allan Brilliant has an outstanding reputation, with Shmuel Vasser also active in significant restructurings and reorganisations in the region. The firm frequently advises creditors and bondholders in major cases, notably representing the official committee of unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of LATAM Airlines and its affiliates; this was one of a number of headline cross-border Chapter 11 cases caused by the Covid-19 crisis. In the restructuring and bankruptcy field, it also advises corporates that have assets or interests in Latin America. Private equity-related financings are another forte for the firm, with transactions often involving the region. Howard Kleinman is a recognised Latin America expert with experience in corporate, capital markets and financing transactions.
Dechert LLP has a global restructuring practice advising both debtors and creditors in restructuring matters. Notable work includes its representation of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of LATAM Airlines and its affiliates. Allan Brilliant operates from the New York office, and is also the practices’ global co-chair. He played an active role in the firm’s advice to Citadel pertaining to the Chapter 11 cases of Colombian airline, Avianca Holdings. In August 2022, the team in New York gained Douglas Mannal and Stephen Zide from Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco)
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: toxic tort
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Dispute resolution > International litigation
- Tax > International tax
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Antitrust > Merger control
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: global offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Intellectual property > Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings)
- Dispute resolution > Leading trial lawyers
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense