Richard Horvath > Dechert LLP > San Francisco, United States > Lawyer Profile
Dechert LLP Offices
One Bush Street
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94104-4446
- Go to...
Securities Litigation / Enforcement
Rick S. Horvath focuses his practice on corporate governance matters, acting as a trusted advisor for boards of directors, significant investors and public companies on a range of critical issues, including activist campaigns, contested corporate takeovers and corporate disclosures. Mr. Horvath regularly advises companies and their boards on navigating board conflicts, operational decisions, board-level internal controls and the enhancement of corporate governance documents and policies.
An experienced litigator, Mr. Horvath has also acted as lead counsel and second chair counsel for public companies, directors, officers and investors in corporate governance disputes and other complex commercial matters in courts across the United States. In addition, he has represented companies and directors in connection to stockholder demands, internal investigations and special litigation committees. Mr. Horvath is also experienced in responding to matters before the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Mr. Horvath’s litigation matters include instances involving fiduciary duties, derivative claims, proxy claims, merger litigation, securities fraud, disputes related to limited partnerships and LLC memberships, books and records demands, and commercial and contract disputes.
- Lehigh University, B.A., 1999
- Lehigh University, M.S., 2001
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2004
The globally integrated trial, investigations and securities team at Dechert LLP has considerable experience in cross-border investigations and often leans on support from its international network when assisting multinational clients. Its deep bench includes former regulators and prosecutors, and the team is led by New York’s David N Kelley and Chicago’s David Kistenbroker. Kelly is recommended for white-collar crime, commercial litigation and federal securities matters, while Andrew Levander, who is also based in New York, is recommended for securities enforcement and regulation, specializing in the asset management industry. The team was recently strengthened by the arrival of Hartley West and Richard Horvath in San Francisco, who joined from Kobre & Kim and Paul Hastings LLP, respectively. Brenda Sharton and Karen Neuman both joined from Goodwin in Boston and Washington DC, respectively. Other team changes include the arrival of Steven Engel in Washington DC from the DOJ and Michael Gilbert‘s departure from the firm in June 2021.
Dechert LLP‘s trials, investigations and securities litigation group calls on lawyers in offices from East Coast to West Coast, as well as outside the US, to represent companies both domestic and cross-border securities litigation class actions, shareholder derivative suits, mutual fund litigation, broker-dealer disputes, internal investigations and SEC and other regulatory proceedings. The firm continued to expand its presence in California in 2021, with the hire of securities and corporate governance litigation partner Richard Horvath in San Francisco from Paul Hastings LLP. David N Kelley in New York and David Kistenbroker, who works from both New York and Chicago, are the lead partners. Kistenbroker and Chicago-based Joni S. Jacobsen defended recycling company PureCycle Technologies, Inc. and certain officers in separate class action alleging that they made materially false and misleading statements regarding the company’s business leading up to a reverse merger listing on NASDAQ. New York-based partners Andrew Levander and Matthew L Larrabee in also play key roles in the securities and M&A-related disputes.
Dechert LLP‘s trials, investigations and securities disputes team has broad experience acting for corporations, creditor groups, sovereign states investment funds and other financial institutions in cross-border disputes. Hector Gonzalez , who combines expertise in securities disputes, criminal and SEC and CFTC enforcement proceedings in New York and Washington DC-based general commercial litigator Christina Sarchio lead the team alongside Kimberly Branscome in Los Angeles, who has product liability, environmental and toxic tort and securities litigation expertise. In August 2021, the group strengthened its West Coast practice with the additions of Hartley West, who specializes in government enforcement defense and asset forfeitures, and corporate governance and securities litigator Richard Horvath from Kobre & Kim and Paul Hastings LLP respectively. Other additions include Steven Engel, who joined in Washington DC from the Department of Justice in May 2021, and Philadelphia-based Clare Putnam Pozos, former First Assistant US Attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, in January 2022.
- Securities litigation: defense - United States > Dispute resolution
- International litigation - United States > Dispute resolution
- Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense - United States > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco)
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: toxic tort
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Dispute resolution > International litigation
- Tax > International tax
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Antitrust > Merger control
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: global offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Intellectual property > Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings)
- Dispute resolution > Leading trial lawyers
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense