Derek McCombe > Dentons > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
1 GEORGE SQUARE
- Go to...
Derek McCombe is a Corporate partner based in our Glasgow office and Head of the UK Retail practice. With over 15 years’ experience of UK and international corporate and commercial work, he specialises in M&A, private equity and venture capital transactions. Derek is also a Regional Leader (UK) of the Global Venture Technology and Emerging Growth Companies Group.
Trained Maclay Murray & Spens; qualified 2006; senior solicitor 2009-12; associate 2012-16; partner 2016.
The Royal Belfast Academical Institution; University of Dundee (LLB (Hons) 2003); Glasgow Graduate School of Law, Dip LP 2004.
Family; rugby; golf; travel.
Dentons’ highly regarded retail and consumer practice acts on a national and global level for a client roster comprising retailers, brands, restaurants, landlords and franchises. The group is a key name for high-profile mandates, and recently assisted Sports Direct with its acquisition of House of Fraser. It also advised The Edinburgh Woollen Mill on the off-market acquisition of Bonmarche by Spectre Holdings. With capabilities across the full gamut of retail work and notable strength in real estate and corporate mandates, the practice also leverages the firm’s online portal, Legal Front Door, to provide clients with a single point of access to the firm’s legal services and specialists. Derek McCombe leads the group from Glasgow; other key practitioners include commercial expert Scott Singer, who counts Sainsbury’s and John Lewis Partnership as clients; Miriam Best, who focuses on real estate matters and mixed-use developments; real estate litigator Bryan Johnston, and Martin Fanning, who handles IT, IP and data protection mandates.
Dentons‘ restructuring team generates significant mandates on the ground in Scotland, under the leadership of Douglas Blyth and Derek McCombe. Its varied workload covers restructurings, insolvencies and advice to directors and purchasers of distressed companies. Blyth is recommended for his contentious insolvency expertise. McCombe is sought out by banks and insolvency practitioners.
Dentons’ corporate offering focuses on large domestic and international transactional mandates including public and private M&A, private equity, venture capital and capital markets work. The practice is noted for its expertise in the food and drink, financial services, industrial and retail sectors. Brian Moore heads the team and is supported by Derek McCombe, who is adept at handling corporate finance transactions and restructurings. Senior associate Owen McLennan is recommended for corporate transactional and funds work.
- Next Generation Partners - Scotland > Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow - Scotland > Corporate and commercial
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - Scotland > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Environment
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Finance > Investment funds
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Professional negligence