Andrew Hurst > Schofield Sweeney > Bradford, England > Lawyer Profile
Schofield Sweeney Offices
CHURCH BANK HOUSE
- Go to...
Partner specialising in innovative projects who has recently completed a major schools redevelopment project and the transfer from a local authority to a charitable cultural trust of a recently completed city centre theatre. Andrew leads a team which has undertaken over 160 academy conversions, and are currently engaged in further conversions, the formation of free schools and schools redevelopment projects, as well as providing ongoing advice to 100 plus schools.
Trained Walker Morris and Coles Bradford; qualified 1978; partner Walker Morris, Bradford and Leeds; partner Schofield Sweeney 2003. Andrew has advised central government departments on the role of the not-for-profit sector in service delivery. Andrew contributed to various publications in private finance, housing and educational publications.
Loughborough Grammar School; Selby Grammar School; Manchester Polytechnic (1974 BA Law).
Trustee MIND in Bradford. Governor at a local primary school, motorcycling, travel, skiing and history.
The Bradford-based team at Schofield Sweeney counts funding and governance matters, acquisitions, development and regeneration projects in its workload. Andrew Hurst leads the practice and is noted for his experience in preparing management agreements between registered social landlords and housing associations. Manjit Virdee acts for lenders in property acquisitions and advises social housing borrowers in facility and security negotiations. Long-serving partner Simon Petchey retired in March 2021.
Schofield Sweeney ‘offers valuable advice across a range of specialist areas‘ and the team is noted for covering a variety of concerns for local education clients, such as construction documentation, data protection work, employment law, contractual disputes and governance issues. Group head Andrew Hurst has a strong track record in academy conversions, and the formation of free schools and schools redevelopment projects, while Simon Shepherd is an employment law specialist.
- Education - Yorkshire and the Humber > Public sector
- Social housing - Yorkshire and the Humber > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Public sector > Education
- Real estate > Environment
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Infrastructure and energy
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms