Rod Hunt > Clyde & Co LLP > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Clyde & Co LLP Offices
50 BROWN STREET
- Go to...
Rod is a partner in Clyde & Co’s nationally recognised Safety, Security, Health and Environmental (SSHE) Regulatory team and his areas of expertise include:
• Health and safety
• Corporate and gross negligence manslaughter
• Trading law
• Food safety
• Fire safety
• Coroner’s inquests
Rod regularly represents individuals and businesses from all industry sectors under investigation – including at police interviews under caution – and prosecution by regulators such as the Health and Safety Executive, the Police, the Environment Agency, Trading Standards, the Office of Fair Trading, local authorities, and the Fire Service.
He is a regular presenter to industry and writes articles for the trade press.
- Representing a leading utility company regarding a prosecution by the Office of Rail Regulation (“ORR”) when one of its apprentice employees fell from a false ceiling. Rod persuaded the ORR and the Court the matter could be dealt with in the Magistrates’ Court which avoided the increased adverse PR associated with the matter being committed to the Crown Court
- Representing a world leading manufacturer following an explosion and subsequent fire at its site after an uncontrolled increase in temperature in a piece of its manufacturing equipment. Our advised approach to the case avoided an HSE investigation, and any subsequent enforcement action by the HSE and/or Fire and Rescue Service
- Representing an international corporate regarding an appeal against a Prohibition Notice served following a contractor fatality after a fall from height during maintenance work at its site
- Representing a FTSE 100 listed corporate following a nationally reported fatality at one of its sites, which attracted significant adverse PR. We persuaded the Police that no offences had been committed by our client, and were also able to persuade the Coroner there was no need for an Inquest which avoided the additional associated adverse PR
- Representing a global telecommunications corporate regarding the appeal of a Statutory Notice served by the Local Authority regarding drilling operations for the laying of pipework both onshore and offshore in the UK. We successfully persuaded the local authority to withdraw the Notice without the need for a full Appeal Hearing in the Magistrates’ Court
- Instructed by the FTSE listed owner of a power station in relation to an EA investigation. We persuaded the EA to issue one of the lowest forms of enforcement action, for what was a serious incident involving the deposit and release of asbestos which, if prosecuted, could have resulted in a significant fine in the Crown Court and extremely damaging adverse publicity
Qualified 1998, Joined Clyde & Co 2009, Partner with Clyde & Co from 2010
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Clyde & Co LLP is praised for its ‘customer focus and understanding’ as well as its ‘in-depth knowledge and experience’. The team, which acts for both insurer and corporate clients, is led by Chris Morrison, who is described as ‘the best lawyer in this field’. Rod Hunt is sought after by clients in the energy, construction and manufacturing sectors, while legal director Mark Brookes handles work relating to fatalities, corporate manslaughter and gross negligence manslaughter, advising blue chip clients, SMEs and individuals in the retail, agricultural, manufacturing and construction space. Legal director Nathan Buckley regularly undertakes his own advocacy before the Magistrates’ Courts and the Coroner’s Courts.(Leading individuals)
Clyde & Co LLP‘s ‘fantastic environment team‘ is engaged on the full range of environmental work and stands out for its expertise in environmental crime, where the team advises on Environment Agency and local authority investigations, prosecutions, and enforcement actions. The team is regularly engaged by corporate clients and insurers. Former Environment Agency prosecutor Rod Hunt has ‘valuable expertise‘ and heads the team. Chris Morrison leads the safety, security, health and environmental regulatory group and senior associate Anna Willetts handles environmental criminal defence work.
Clyde & Co LLP advises both insurers and multinational companies on all aspects of health and safety work. The ‘totally dependable and incredibly smart’ Chris Morrison leads the team out of Manchester and has extensive experience of public investigations and inquiries; he has been leading the firm’s team advising CEP Facades, the cladding fabricator to Grenfell Tower, on the ongoing police investigation and public inquiry into the fire at the tower in 2017. Other key figures include Rod Hunt, who is also based in Manchester and especially known for his work in the energy, construction and manufacturing sectors; and Mark Brookes, who is highly skilled in handling corporate manslaughter and workplace fatality cases. Associate Roger Cartwright is also recommended.
- Health and safety - North West > Human resources
- Leading individuals - North West > Human resources > Health and safety
- Leading individuals - North West > Real estate > Planning and environment
- Planning and environment - North West > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Insurance > Professional negligence