Mr David Felsenthal > Clifford Chance > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Clifford Chance Offices
31 WEST 52ND STREET
NEW YORK, NY 10019-6131
- Go to...
Mr David Felsenthal
Capital Markets, Financial Regulation, Restructuring & Insolvency
David Felsenthal has a leading practice in derivatives, structured finance and fintech. He works on derivatives transactions and regulations across a range of asset classes and transaction types. He has been a leader in developing and executing structured products, including securities linked to credit and equity and structured financing arrangements. David also advises extensively on trading transactions including repo and securities lending financing.
David is part of Clifford Chance’s pre-eminent global fintech practice. He has worked on a range of new and developing structures including blockchain and token sales.
David’s expertise has been recognized by leading trade associations: he has represented ISDA in its advocacy for improved swap margin rules and other matters; and he gives the industry-wide opinions for SIFMA for the standard documentation for repo, securities lending and forwards. He is a frequent speaker at conferences organized by PLI, ISDA, and others. He has written articles that have been featured in various publications and websites, including the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation and the Columbia Blue Sky Blog.
Harvard Law School (JD) 1985, Princeton University (BA) 1981
Clifford Chance has an experienced multi-disciplinary practice that combines the firm’s global financial services capabilities with an experienced technology group. Clients range from major global financial institutions and industry bodies through to start-up fintech companies, who benefit from the team’s transactional, regulatory and contentious support. In addition to traditional banking, insurance and payments products, the team has grown its focus on blockchain and cryptocurrency-related mandates. Assisting VanEck Associates Corporation on the development and launch of two exchange-traded cryptocurrency trusts demonstrates the firm’s melding of the traditional and the new. The fintech team is led by the Washington DC-based regulatory partner Steven Gatti who assists with enforcement and non-contentious matters. Other key lawyers include regulatory partner Megan Gordon (Washington DC) and New York’s David Felsenthal, a structured finance partner with a good track record for structuring blockchain and token sales.
The global scope of the primarily New York-based team at Clifford Chance regarding structured products includes structured real estate transactions and CLOs, synthetic credit risk transfer transactions, securities lending, and over-the-counter derivatives. Practice head Lee Askenazi focuses on CLOs, asset-backed securities, and mortgage-backed securities; David Felsenthal specializes in derivatives and structured finance; and Gareth Old is a key contact regarding risk transfer transactions. Robert Hagan is based in Washington DC and covers structured finance and securitizations, while Alistair Dunlop deals with structured finance transactions and cross-border structured debt transactions. Lawyers mentioned are in New York unless otherwise stated.
- Fintech - United States > Media, technology and telecoms
- Structured finance: derivatives and structured products - United States > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Tax > Financial products
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Industry focus > Insurance: non-contentious
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Finance > Capital markets: global offerings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Tax > International tax
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- International Trade > International trade
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Real estate > Real estate
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Finance > Project finance