Jonathan Zonis > Clifford Chance > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Clifford Chance Offices
31 WEST 52ND STREET
NEW YORK, NY 10019-6131
- Go to...
M&A corporate, Capital markets, Energy & resources
Jonathan Zonis concentrates in representing issuers and underwriters in cross-border equity and debt (including high-yield) offerings. Jonathan has been involved in public and private transactions in equity and debt offerings by issuers in a variety of industries including banking, energy, manufacturing, real estate, infrastructure, luxury goods, telecommunications, media and shipping.
Clifford Chance is a strong player in Brazil equity deals thanks to its sizeable Sao Paulo office, while having strong presence in high-yield debt, hybrid securities and sovereign offerings across the region. Debt restructurings and refinancings are another forte for the team. It represents a wealth of Latin American issuers and a number of key banks as underwriters. It has a particularly strong record in offerings by financial institutions. Jonathan Zonis leads the Latin America practice and is co-head of the Americas capital markets group, having a strong record in corporate and sovereign offerings. Hugo Triaca has emerged as a pivotal member of the team, working on a range of equity and debt offerings in multiple Latin American jurisdictions. Anand Saha is noted for equity, debt and liability management transactions, especially those originating in Brazil. Sao Paulo managing partner Anthony Oldfield provides further senior level gravitas on headline and big-ticket Brazil offerings, frequently acting for both issuers and underwriters. Sao Paulo counsels Patrick Jackson and Anja Pfleger Andrade also provide further senior expertise on multiple Brazil deals, while associate Mariana Estévez also impresses. Gianluca Bacchiocchi and Guido Liniado have left the firm. All named individuals are based in New York unless stated otherwise. Since publication, Jackson has been raised to the partnership – effective as of May 2022.
Clifford Chance operates a broad-based practice covering investment grade, high-yield, covered bonds, project bonds and other capital markets transactions. The firm is particularly known for offerings by REITs and Latin American entities, including sovereign and sub-sovereign issuers. Closed end fund offerings and debt restructuring exercises are also fortes for the team. Andrew Epstein is an experienced figure in debt offerings by REITs, along with co-head of the department Kathleen Werner. Fellow co-head Jonathan Zonis and Hugo Triaca are key names in Latin America transactions, including sovereign bond offerings. Larry Medvinsky and Per Chilstrom have both left the firm.
Clifford Chance has a healthy mix of issuer and underwriter engagements, being noted especially for real estate, specialty finance and Latin America deals. The firm has gained further recognition for ESG, green and sustainability-linked offerings, along with debt restructuring-related transactions. Gary Brooks is a prominent name in high-yield debt and leveraged finance, and has strong connections to underwriters. Jonathan Zonis and Hugo Triaca are also rated for high-yield debt deals originating in Latin America.
Clifford Chance has an impressive mix of equity and debt offerings involving US and non-US issuers. This includes IPOs, equity offerings, investment grade and high-yield debt, covered bonds, project bonds and other transactions. The firm has gained further recognition for ESG and sustainability-linked offerings, including green and social bonds. Much of its global offering practice is centred on Latin America, where it represents a long list of issuers, including sovereigns and quasi-sovereigns such as the Republic of Guatemala and BNDES. Jonathan Zonis leads the Latin America team and is the former co-head of the Americas capital markets group; he has worked extensively throughout the Latin America region, particularly focusing on Brazil, where the firm has a substantial Sao Paulo team, and helping to develop the firm’s standing in sovereign debt. Hugo Triaca has also made a considerable impact on the practice, adding connections and experience in multiple Spanish-speaking jurisdictions. Per Chilstrom has left the team to join Fenwick & West LLP.
Clifford Chance continues to be recognised for its prominence in REIT and Latin America offerings. Its global standing makes it especially well-equipped to handle US offerings by overseas issuers. It is also prominent in closed-end fund offerings in the US market; it advised BofA Securities as lead underwriter, on the IPO of BlackRock Capital Allocation Trust, a registered closed-end fund. Andrew Epstein and Kathleen Werner are leading figures in REIT offerings, including equity REITs and mortgage REITs, along with SPAC IPOs. Jonathan Zonis is co-head of Americas capital markets and is noted for Latin America offerings and issuances from other parts of the globe, while Hugo Triaca is another key name for Latin America offerings. Clifford Cone is closely associated with fund offerings. All named individuals are based in New York.
- Capital markets: global offerings - United States > Finance
- Capital markets: equity offerings - United States > Finance
- Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings - United States > Finance
- Capital markets: debt offerings - United States > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Insurance: non-contentious
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Finance > Capital markets: global offerings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Tax > International tax
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Real estate > Real estate
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Finance > Project finance