Neil Baker > Clarke Willmott LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Clarke Willmott LLP Offices
1 GEORGES SQUARE
- Go to...
Planning and Environment
Neil is a Partner in Clarke Willmott’s Planning and Environment Team and acts for a number of leading institutions, national housebuilders, regional commercial developers, landowners, industrial and manufacturing concerns, and for a number of public sector bodies.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
The ‘exceptionally good planning team‘ at Clarke Willmott LLP is noted for its capabilities advising housebuilders on large residential-led, mixed-use development schemes. Planning appeals, enforcement matters, and judicial reviews are additional areas of expertise. ‘Excellent strategist’ Neil Baker chairs the team from Bristol, and frequently gives legal opinions on planning issues. His colleague Chris Charlton is an experienced planning advocate. Taunton-based Caroline Waller is described by clients as ‘the go-to planning solicitor for many in the South West development industry’. Jade Lyus is also recommended.
Clarke Willmott LLP is particularly well regarded for its property and development work, where the team advises at all steps of the development journey from site acquisition to sale and subsequent lease extensions of shared ownership units. The team is jointly led by Vicky Kells, who divides her time between Cardiff and Bristol; the Bristol-based trio of Kary Withers, Oliver Smedley and Neil Baker; and the Taunton-based Kate Saunders. Jade Lyus, a planning specialist, and Stephen Harper, who frequently advises on the property aspects of development projects, are also recommended.
Covering both contentious and non-contentious work, the ‘very strong’ practice at Clarke Willmott LLP continues to focus on the agriculture and waste sectors, working with a host of farming enterprises, utilities companies, and developers. Steering the team from the firm’s Bristol office, Neil Baker regularly combines his planning and environmental expertise in applications for projects such as housing sites and urban regeneration schemes. Caroline Waller and Chris Charlton further extend the team’s expertise in planning and environmental law. Daniel Gill left the practice in July 2022.
- Hall of Fame South West > Real estate > Planning
- Planning South West > Real estate
- Social housing South West > Real estate
- Environment South West > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Commercial property: Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire
- Private client > Family
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Finance > Banking and finance