Miami-headquartered Diaz Reus International Law Firm (DRT) is a global legal practice focused on national and international parallel proceedings and business transactions in the following broad areas, with board certified lawyers in international litigation and arbitration, international law, and immigration and nationality law:
Diaz Reus International Law Firm & Alliance > Miami, United States > Firm Profile
Diaz Reus International Law Firm & Alliance Offices
MIAMI TOWER AT INTERNATIONAL PLACE
100 S.E. SECOND STREET, SUITE 2600
MIAMI, FLORIDA 33131
Diaz Reus International Law Firm & Alliance > The Legal 500 RankingsDiaz Reus International Law Firm & Alliance has a strong focus on servicing Latin American clients and is well placed to do so by virtue of its international network. It acts for governments and their agencies and officials, and also private individuals and companies caught up in investigations by US authorities. Michael Diaz co-heads the team and handles both public corruption and white-collar crime matters for high-profile individuals. Robert Targ, who jointly leads the team, is recommended for asset seizure, forfeiture, and global money laundering issues. Javier Coronado was promoted to partner in January 2021.
Michael Diaz; Robert Targ
Other key lawyers:
Richard Wiedis; Greg Ahlgren; Juan Vargas; Marta Colomar-Garcia; Javier Coronado
‘The diverse team is able to provide knowledge of different legal systems, languages and procedures.’
‘Michael Diaz has tons of experience, commitment, practicality, and a good understanding of different systems.’
‘They are extremely professional, they have the complete understanding about the legal procedures and the best routes to be followed to achieve the appropriate solution to the demands.’
Their strength is in their attorneys’ knowledge, professionalism and the administrative staff.’
‘I worked with Michael Diaz, Robert Targ, and Juan Vargas; all of them have impressed me, they have different skills and together they made an excellent team.’
‘They are able to understand the needs of the client and give a brief on the situation on lay terms.’
‘Michael Diaz is a fearless, confident, and substantively-strong counsel, to understands needs, short and long-term goals, and delivers quickly and efficiently.’
‘This is by far the best law firm I’ve ever worked with. In one word: perfection.’
Plus Ultra Lineas Aereas
Javier Mejia Bernal
- Represented Gustavo Orsoni, a Venezuelan national and brother of the former General Counsel of PDVSA, accused of FCPA violations for money laundering.
- Advised Plus Ultra and its majority shareholder Rodolfo Reyes, which are under investigation for money laundering charges related to the foreign currency exchange controls in Venezuela, where bribes were allegedly paid to access preferred rates.
- Representing Felipe Alejos, a Guatemalan congressman sanctioned by OFAC under the Global Magnitsky Act.
Michael Diaz Jr; Gary Davidson
‘The team has a very vast knowledge in the international process.’
‘They always look for ways to achieve goals and present different scenarios for that.’
Plus Ultra Lineas Aereas S.A.
Jesus Perez Oropeza
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario
American Veteran Enterprise Team
Bruno Augusto Sacchi Zaremba
- Represented Plus Ultra, a Spanish airline, in an $6m dollar action filed in the Southern District of New York, by AELF, an airplane engine leasing company, for an alleged breach of contract.
- Representing Mexican-American businessman Jose Renteria in a $4m dispute concerning his investments in the Aloft and Element Hotels in Doral, Florida, as well as Mr. Renteria’s ownership interest in the corporate vehicles created for the development of such hotel projects, namely two entities in Florida.
- Acting for Alibaba in all of their US litigation involving IP violations and criminal warrants and investigations.
Michael Diaz; Gary Davidson; Marta Colomar-Garcia
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario
Plus Ultra Líneas Aéreas
- Represented Alejandro Andrade, the former Treasurer of Venezuela, who will soon be released from a 10-year prison sentence, in defence of the US government’s continued efforts to secure and forfeit assets and monies from third parties as part of the largest FCPA case in South Florida history.
- Advised Plus Ultra and its majority shareholder Rodolfo Reyes, which are under investigation for $25m money laundering charges related to the foreign currency exchange controls in Venezuela, where bribes were allegedly paid to access preferred rates.
- Represented Felipe Alejos, a Guatemalan congressman sanctioned by OFAC under the Global Magnitsky Act, in conducting legal efforts for OFAC to reconsider the designation of Alejos on the List of Specially Designated Nationals.
Michael Diaz; Robert Targ
‘From the outset Michael Diaz assembled an incredible and talented team of attorneys and managers for my case. Each of the team members were not highly experienced but their diversified backgrounds matched the requirements of my complicated case. Their services, research, legal analysis has been remarkable. I’ve worked with several top tier law firms and Diaz Reus is a cut above.’
‘Mitch Horn through his thorough investigations and research was able to identify key intelligence that no other professional investigator was able to previously determine.‘
‘Excellent communication and coordination between team members. Vast knowledge of the subject. Available 24/7. Immediate response. Exceptional attention.’
‘Deeply committed to their work, they have a great knowledge of the subject, they are always available and they do it with quality and warmth. Michael Diaz and Marta Colomar-Garcia.’
‘They are extremely professional; they completely understand the legal procedures and the best routes to be followed to achieve the appropriate solution to the demands. Their performance is excellent. Their strength is in their attorneys’ knowledge, professionalism, and the administrative staff. They manage clients’ relationships, establish confidence to understand the problems and focus on the best solution. A fair cost/benefit.’
‘I worked with Michael Diaz and Robert Targ. Both have impressed me, they have different skills, and together they did excellent work in my cases. They’re highly trained and experienced lawyers with exceptional analytical ability; they go directly to the important points of problems, have great bargaining power, thorough knowledge of the laws and the paths to be followed to find the solution to the problem.’
‘Excellent legal and cultural knowledge.’
Plus Ultra Lineas Aereas
Javier Mejia Bernal
- Represented Alejandro Andrade, the former Treasurer of Venezuela, soon to be released from a 10-year prison sentence, in defence of the US government’s efforts to secure and forfeit assets and monies from third parties as part of the largest FCPA case in South Florida history.
- Acted for Plus Ultra and its majority shareholder Rodolfo Reyes, which are under investigation for $25m in money laundering charges related to the foreign currency exchange controls in Venezuela.
- Represented Guatemalan congressman Felipe Alejos who was sanctioned by OFAC under the Global Magnitsky Act.
Michael Diaz, Jr; Gary Davidson
‘Great flexibility and capacity for integration with the client’s needs.’
‘Michael Diaz Jr, is a great leader, an excellent communicator and connects with the client. An experienced lawyer who develops good arbitration process strategies.‘
‘Marta Colomar is very skilful and organised.’
‘Gary Davidson is an outstanding lawyer who focuses on international litigation and arbitration. He combines a practical mindset with extensive knowledge and experience to deliver a high-quality service.‘
American Veteran Enterprise Team
- Represented a Peruvian doctor and his company, THI Medical, who were defrauded in an orchestrated scheme to sell counterfeit 3M masks; the New York case has recently been referred to arbitration before the American Arbitration Association (AAA).
Diaz Reus International Law Firm & Alliance > Firm Profile
- Fraud, civil litigation and arbitration
- White-collar crime, regulatory, criminal investigations and defense in matters of corruption, bribery, money laundering, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, OFAC, Magnitsky Act, CAATSA, Specially Designated Nationals, the Bank Secrecy Act and other US law violations
- Asset investigations, identification, location, tracing, and recovery
- Politically sensitive investigations and the recovery of US immigration status and visas
- Corporate / M&A
- Real Estate
- Sports and entertainment law
- Immigration, tax and estate, family law
- Sovereign trade, commerce, banking, real estate, intellectual property, capital markets, and finance
- Corporate/financial institutions, governance and compliance
- Blockchain and cryptocurrency
Diaz Reus serves US-based and global clients, including multinational corporations, import and export companies, manufacturers, technology companies, government entities, heads of states, political parties, public officials, financial institutions, entrepreneurs, family offices, high net worth individuals, and athletes and entertainers. Diaz Reus is an entrepreneurial, enterprising, emerging-markets law firm providing traditional legal services across all industries while focusing on promising new business opportunities for its clients. The firm is dedicated to growing and protecting its clients’ assets and securing their long-term stability. From 33 offices located throughout Latin America, the US, Western and Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, our multicultural lawyers operate seamlessly, giving clients access to boots-on-the-ground, global legal counsel.
Main areas of practice
High-stakes litigation and arbitration: Transnational litigation, arbitration, and appellate matters including commercial disputes, sensitive investigations, financial fraud, asset seizure and forfeiture, white collar criminal, asset recoveries, international law, intellectual property rights, and recovery of visas.
Transactional: Complex contract negotiations, finance, real estate, IP licensing, joint ventures, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, customs, trade, and franchising.
Regulatory: Anti-money laundering compliance, BSA, corporate governance, regulatory investigations, FCPA, customs, and criminal and civil RICO cases. Representing banks, corporations, traditional and non-traditional financial institutions, sovereigns, political parties, government entities and officials, and private individuals.
Private client: Domestic and international tax, athlete, and entertainer representation. Immigration, trust and estate, and family law matters.
Representative litigation and arbitration matters
- Represent holdout group of bondholders in $700m Argentinean government default
- Represent US citizen/Venezuelan national in defense of a federal criminal investigation in the Southern District of Florida (Miami) involving allegations of unlicensed money transmitting and money laundering
- Represent group of US auto dealerships in breach of agreements in importation and sale against Indian truck manufacturer. Claims include fraud, negligent misrepresentation, fraudulent inducement, unjust enrichment, civil conspiracy, and violations of the federal automobile dealers Act and state ‘dealer day in court’ laws
- Represent head of political party in lawsuit for defamation against The Wall Street Journal
- Represent Latin American, Chinese, and Middle Eastern nationals in recovery of US Visas, following investigations for human rights violations and corruption
- Represent Venezuelan government agency in lawsuit alleging expropriated property in excess of $1bn, violating the US Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act
- Arbitration of dispute in Panama between US company and Brazilian general contractor engaged in construction of airport
- Represent parties allegedly defrauded of equal shares in joint venture to sell power-generating turbines to Venezuelan electricity sector. Includes allegations of fraudulent transfer, an out of state trust, an affiliated company in Panama, and US law enforcement investigations
- Represented Mexican oil giant, PEMEX, in multimillion-dollar action under federal RICO, involving complex extraterritoriality issues
- Represented US-multinational corporation victimized by fraudulent acts during government bid process in Peru
- Represented Central American commodities enterprise in dispute with US-based supplier regarding cross-border shipment of goods under CAFTA-DR
- Arbitrated commercial dispute in purchase and sale contract transferring airplanes from Central to South American airlines, ultimately sold to a third-party airline in Dubai
- Represented iron/ore producer in defense of arbitration dispute for maritime vessel and iron/ore contracts in London, Zurich, Miami, and New York
- Represent prominent, wealthy Honduran family and their business empire against money laundering charges and OFAC designations in federal court in New York City
Global managing partner: Michael Diaz, Jr
USA: Houston; Los Angeles; Miami; New York;Washington, D.C.; (Canada) Toronto
Latin America: Bogota; Buenos Aires; Caracas; Lima; Mexico City; Monterrey; Panama; San Pedro Sula; Santiago; Santo Domingo; Sao Paulo
Europe: Frankfurt; Madrid; Moscow; Prague
Middle East/Asia: Abu Dhabi; Aleppo City; Baghdad; Beirut; Dubai; Lahore; Riyadh; Shanghai
Africa: Johannesburg; Lagos
Languages: Arabic, Catalan, Czech, English, Farsi, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese, Russian, Shanghainese, Spanish.
|OFAC Sanctions, Corporate investigations and white collar criminal||Michael Diaz, Jr.||email@example.com||+1 877.247.9277|
|OFAC Sanctions, Corporate investigations and white collar criminal||Robert I. Targfirstname.lastname@example.org||+1 877.247.9277|
|International litigation and arbitration||Marta Colomar-Garciaemail@example.com||+1 877.247.9277|
|International litigation and arbitration||Gary E. Davidsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||+1 877.247.9277|
|OFAC Sanctions, Corporate investigations and white collar criminal||Javier Coronadoemail@example.com||+1 877.247.9277|
|Corporate||Evan Stromanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+1 877.247.9277|
|White Collar criminal defense||Richard Wiedisemail@example.com||+1 877.247.9277|
|Immigration||Michael A. Harrisfirstname.lastname@example.org||+1 877.247.9277|
|Real estate||George Diazemail@example.com||+1 877.247.9277|
|Litigation, Entertainment||Kenneth A. Linzerfirstname.lastname@example.org||+1 877.247.9277|
|Tax planning and estates||Julio Barbosaemail@example.com||+1 877.247.9277|
|Tax planning and estates||Steve Horowitzfirstname.lastname@example.org||+1 877.247.9277|
|White collar criminal defense||Juan Vargasemail@example.com||+1 877.247.9277|
|Civil & Criminal Litigation||Greg Ahlgrenfirstname.lastname@example.org||+1 877.247.9277|
|Greg Ahlgren||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Ibrahim M. Amir||Associate Attorney||View Profile|
|Ms Marta Colomar-Garcia||Administrative Managing Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Javier Coronado Diaz||Partner||View Profile|
|Gary Davidson||Partner||View Profile|
|George Diaz||Partner||View Profile|
|Michael Diaz, Jr.||Global Managing Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Evan Stroman||Of Counsel||View Profile|
|Mr Robert Targ||Founding Partner||View Profile|
|Juan Vargas||Of Counsel||View Profile|
|Richard Wiedis||Partner||View Profile|
US anti-corruption developments – 2019 in reviewThroughout 2019, the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) continued to actively investigate and prosecute individuals and corporations under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) for suspected involvement with political corruption and/or bribery around the world. The US implemented further aggressive measures to fight corruption, including economic sanctions administered …
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > International litigation
- Latin America: International firms > City focus - Miami