Mr Rafael Alvarado Riedel > Consortium Legal > Ciudad Guatemala, Guatemala > Lawyer Profile
Consortium Legal Offices
DIAGONAL 6 10-01 ZONA 10 CENTRO GERENCIAL LAS MARGARITS TORRE II
- Go to...
Mr Rafael Alvarado Riedel
Rafael is a partner in Consortium Legal – Guatemala. He has more than 20 years of experience in Foreign Investment, Project Finance, International Commercial Contracts, Telecommunications, Tax Law and International Trade. He is a member of the International Bar Association (IBA); American Bar Association (ABA) and the Guatemalan Bar Association.
- Advised AIG Seguros in the acquisition of Assa Seguros.
- Advised Rentokil Initial Americas, LTD in the asset acquisition of the pest control division of the Guatemalan company Dimegsa, S.A. for $1.4mll.
- Advised OPIC and Banco de América Central in the cancellation process of more than 200 sub-mortgages that were granted on behalf of a loan agreement signed on April 28, 2009 by and in between BAC, OPIC and Citibank, N.A. for the amount of US$38,300,000
- Helped Southern Cross Group in the Merger and Acquisition process of a software company called Intellego Caricam for the Guatemalan companies involved in the process.
Spanish, English and German
College of Lawyers and Notaries of Guatemala
American Bar Association (ABA)
International Bar Association (IBA)
- Master in Commercial Law and Business Administration (Cum Laude), Faculty of Law, Francisco Marroquín University; Guatemala, (2003).
- Lawyer and Notary, Faculty of Legal and Social Sciences, Rafael Landívar University; Guatemala, (2000).
The largest firm in Central America, Consortium Legal has offices in Guatemala, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua, and frequently advises on complex, region-wide corporate and financial transactions, including M&A, corporate restructurings and bond issuances, acting for an impressive roster of regional and international banks and financial institutions and multinational companies. It also has expertise in project finance, particularly in the energy and mining sectors, foreign investment and fintech. Among the key contacts in the Costa Rican office are Mario Quesada-Bianchini, an expert in cross-border finance; and Randall Barquero, who leads the fintech practice, along with the experienced Juan Manuel Godoy and M&A expert Rolando Laclé Zuñiga. In Guatemala, Alfredo Rodríguez and Rafael Alvarado Riedel are the standouts for corporate work, while firm president Álvaro Castellanos specialises in banking and finance matters. Rodrigo Taboada and Olga Barreto, an expert in financial and corporate restructurings, are the key contacts in Nicaragua, while the experienced trio of Gustavo León-Gómez, José Ramón Paz Padilla and José Rafael Rivera are names to note in Honduras. In El Salvador, Óscar Samour leads the banking and finance practice, as well as heading the corporate team alongside Diego Martín and Maria Alejandra Tulipano.
Standing out for the ‘extraordinary one-on-one engagement‘ of its team, regional firm Consortium Legal is highly active in cross-border M&A transactions and corporate restructurings, with a solid client base including numerous major multinationals. The firm is also part of the Central American Integration Network for Corporate Social Responsibility (Ingrerarse), an alliance to promote sustainability in Central America and the Caribbean. The experienced trio of Rafael Alvarado Riedel, Alfredo Rodríguez and Álvaro Castellanos (who also coordinates the firm’s involvement in the Vance Centre’s “Keep Families Together” pro bono initiative) heads the sizeable team, with Rodríguez and Castellanos bringing additional expertise in tax and finance matters, respectively, to the table. Other notable team members include Sofía Escribá, who is experienced in the negotiation of M&A and shareholders’ agreements, and senior associate Maria Fernanda Morales, whose expertise spans corporate matters in the aeronautics, energy, telecoms, food and non-profit sectors.